Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVT Cobra @ VIR - 3 days May 29-31

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:52 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default SVT Cobra @ VIR - 3 days May 29-31

This is a good club and well run by Tony. We need some more folks to come out and run. Full Course on Friday and then 2 days on North Course. Everyone welcome and they will have a dyno on site as well.

The event is well organized with pretty small run groups and a lot of track time. I have run with them for 3 years.

I think the instructor group is wait-listed but slots are open in every other group.

Application and info is here:
SVT Cobra - VIR
Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 AM
rbl
Drifting

This video is from last year's event.

SVT Cobra at VIR
Old 05-01-2009, 03:13 AM
OZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plug for a great event!

Excellent club, fantastic track, lots of run time with reasonably sized groups. Attended last year in my Cobra, had a blast. Vette friendly crowd. Great instructors if you're new to HPDE's. Can't make it this year due to a conflicting schedule, but it is definitely a good take and about one of the best prices for the track time.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Default My first HPDE at VIR coming up, any advice?

Any advice about the North Course for end of May at VIR? The video was awesome and looked like alot of straight runs. This is my first track event, and I don't have a clue on what to expect. I know I'll have an instructor with me, so I'm going to focus on my line, when to brake, when to accelerate, and having fun. I'll be running my '02 Z06 with new PS2's, brake pads, and rotors since I had all original equipment on her (I bought the Z06 from a girl last year who had the original GY SC tires on it with some tread left with 50,000 miles!). The car is pretty much stock with the exception of headers, X-pipe, and Vararam which I added over the last few months. I don't know if I want to invest in harness bar and seats yet, but that would be my next mods if I'm going to get hooked on track events. I've heard that you'll slide around in the stock seats and belts, but they should be OK for a first event or two. Also, do I keep the Traction Control on or switch to Competition Mode? Any comments?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Read the info packet that the club puts out. Go in with an open mind and leave the ego home. As long as you have good tires, brakes, and fresh brake fluid your car sounds like it should be fine. Clean it out at the track up to and including floor mats. Drink lots of water and some gatorade for electrolytes. Don't skip meals and get plenty of rest. You'll need it.

Don't be shy about talking to other folks at the track. Most events have a very familial type atmosphere. If you have any questions...ask. After this event, you will feel safer on the track at over 100MPH than you will doing 70MPH on the way home.

Be safe, have fun, and be patient.

Bob
Old 05-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The SVT Cobra Mustang Club (SCMC) run a fun and safe event - I had a great time at their 3-day VIR event last year! I would be there again this year if I didn't have to be out of town on business. If you're looking for a lot of track time with a great bunch of guys and gals - this is it. Their instructor staff is also top-notch! Sign up and enjoy VIR. There were a lot of Corvettes there last year too. Mike
Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 AM
rbl
Drifting

Still slots available.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Pending completion of a some modifications to aero, I plan on being there Friday to test my C4 on the full course.

Ed
Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Read the info packet that the club puts out. Go in with an open mind and leave the ego home. As long as you have good tires, brakes, and fresh brake fluid your car sounds like it should be fine. Clean it out at the track up to and including floor mats. Drink lots of water and some gatorade for electrolytes. Don't skip meals and get plenty of rest. You'll need it.

Don't be shy about talking to other folks at the track. Most events have a very familial type atmosphere. If you have any questions...ask. After this event, you will feel safer on the track at over 100MPH than you will doing 70MPH on the way home.

Be safe, have fun, and be patient.

Bob
GREAT advice, Bob - you hit all the important points
Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Hazman
Racer

The SVT Cobra Mustang Club is looking for instructors for this event. They had some last minute cancellations. If you are qualified and would like to have three days at VIR contact Tony. They want enough instructors that you only have one student!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:10 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Default SVT Cobra Mustang Club 10th Anniversary Celebration May 29-31, 2009 at VIR

I attended the full course event Friday and had a great time. It was my first SCMC event and the organization was very good. Registration and tech were easy and the event ran smoothly, helped I believe with multiple and timely announcements for the next run group.
The atmosphere was low key, and although a Corvette driver at this 10th anniversary Mustang event, I felt very welcome.

I had an occasion to change run groups, and it was handled quickly and without fanfare by member friends I went with. There was plenty of track time and not crowded, so you could run alone or with someone. My objectives were to run with friends and test some recent aero mods and both were accomplished.

I would recommend the SVT Cobra Mustang Club events to anyone wanting track time.

Ed
Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Default My first HPDE at VIR was a blast!

The VIR event this past weekend was an awesome time. Tony and Rick put on a well organized event. I got about 4 hours of track time on Friday and Saturday. My experience was an awakening in my abilities to drive my C5 Z06. They had really good classroom instruction as well. Thanks to excellent in car instruction from RBL and a ride along with Mrs. RBL (who can drive a C6 faster than anyone I've ever seen!), I went from an overly analytical idiot with no focus or driving ability on Day 1 to having a blast by focusing and listening to my instructor on Day 2. I wish I stayed another day so I could have ridden solo. I couldn't believe how smooth and fast the Z06 was when the turns were hit at the correct track in, apex, and track out locations. It was like hitting the perfect tee shot!
I recommend this event to anyone who is even thinking about trying it out. They pair your groups to your skill level and try to match an instructor that has experience in your type of car. Although this was a Mustang/Cobra Club event, there were plenty of vettes there. There was even an Audi station wagon and a few Ford trucks on the track!
You don't need to buy a bunch of stuff. A helmet, good set of tires, new brake pads, plenty of water and gatorade, and a can do attitude (Day 2 for me) is all that is needed. About a 3 feet piece of rubber kitchen shelf liner for your seat is a good idea. It keeps you from sliding around in the leather seats. A knee pad for your left knee wouldn't hurt either. My left knee is killing me from banging it against my Bose speaker grill!
I met a bunch of great people that would help out and give you advice on anything. Checking out other peoples' rides was fun too. Some guys have spent some serious bucks on their mods. I think I'll keep my ride stock and save my money for more track time. I hope to go again sometime soon.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Dan,

You have found the secret..."Some guys have spent some serious bucks on their mods. I think I'll keep my ride stock and save my money for more track time."

Learning to drive is not a function of what the car can do, but what you can do with the car.

Congratulations on having a good time and what you learned.

Ed
Old 06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
rbl
Drifting

Dan did a great job after he relaxed and started to focus. He had good car control with consistent and predictable results coupled with a great attitude. When this gets reinforced with another event in the near future he will be well on the way to becoming another Corvette driver extraordinaire.

I offered him a ride on top of the SRF but he declined!

The SVT Club has another event date at VIR-Full in October I will post up later in the season. They swapped the dates from August.

This was a great event, well organized and very well run.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Hazman
Racer

Glad you guys had fun! There are a lot of pictures over in the SVTCobraClub.com forums. I hope to have some video ready to post soon.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
bearnest
Pro

Default vir

This was also my first hpde class. It seemed to be run very well and my instructor was very helpful. I was amazed of the brake system on my car. Thanks to rbl on his advice for tire preasure on my car, just put them on the night before. I was parked in front of you red 06 with black stripe. I will be back down with ncm in end of june. Thanks to everybody with the SVT COBRA CLUB.

Get notified of new replies

To SVT Cobra @ VIR - 3 days May 29-31

Quick Reply: SVT Cobra @ VIR - 3 days May 29-31