Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA April at Summit Point recap/video

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NASA April at Summit Point recap/video

First off, it was an awesome weekend. We had maybe 15 vettes lined up right next to each other in the paddock. It was very impressive. It was really great to hang out with the vette gang again and I even got to meet (and talk smack to) some people I hadn't met so far (Woods...).

HUGE thanks to Aaron Quine for just about everything... shade, air conditioned lounge, water, beer, food... He made the weekend that much better. I'm pretty sure he has a few pictures of the paddock and such, so I'm sure he'll post them when he gets a chance.

Alright, on to the races. Both races were standing starts, which I personally love, and I'm pretty sure Aaron enjoyed them too. On saturday I was on pole and Aaron was 3rd (right behind me). He got a MONSTER start and BLEW by me into turn 1. That lap was such an adrenaline rush for both of us, and in turn 10 I went for the pass. The pass was SO close that our cars actually touched. That was mine and Aaron's first "rubbin's racin" moment, and neither of us knew it happened until we saw the cars in the paddock. Just a tiny love tap on Aaron's front and my rear.

Anyways, I put Aarons video and mine side by side... I think it turned out pretty good: http://vimeo.com/4352011

Sunday was a less eventful race. I started 2nd to a ferrari F430. This time though, I didn't botch the start. The ferrari and I just booked out of there and didn't look back. He actually let me pass him twice! I think he was getting bored.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Great job wally
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What fun! A HUGE congrats to Wally on his awesome weekend. He was STUPID FAST and checked out to his own planet.

Yep, Saturdays race was cool. Funny thing was I was just asking Wally & Ross if they have ever done standing starts and they said no not here but at VIR. We go to the drivers meeting and the NASA official calls a standing start for our group . Finally, I would get to experience what Lou G. did in WC starts. Time to bring the drag racer out of me.

As seen in the video, I got a great start but new it wouldn't last as Wally's beast would be on my nuts. Ross had a bad qualifier and was back in the pack & the car quit shortly after the start. Sorry bro)

Turn 9 I blew and here comes wally to my right into 10. I gave him room but said to myself he would have to stick it in there and earn it. As you can see he sure as CHIT did. If you could here me over the engine noise I actually said "you go Biaaatch".

Great to see Andrej Balanc in his beautiful new ST2 Vette just picked up from Phoenix. For his first time there in that car he was right in the mix and ready to pounce. Andrej had some REAL SOFT brake issues and A few other things but finished out both races. Hopefully he will chime in and fill us in from his end.

I learned to go to bed early when hanging around the "Over the Hill Gang" as those boys can CONSUME some beer. Great meeting Bob,Ralph,Jack and so many others in the Corvette impound. What a blast and good fun was had by all.

Gary Wolf had a C4 ST2 car but never got a chance to meet him. Hopefully another time, I never saw him before or after the races!

TTU! Our good friend Mike Woods brought his beautiful silver C5 racer out to try his FIRST NASA TT event. cha-ching, 1st place both days strugling with a clutch pedal sticking to the floor and no 3rd or 4th at high rpms.

I had the same issue on mine and I struggled in 3rd and 4th as well. I first noticed it in sat race on about lap 4 going into 1. HOLY crap the clutch pedal didn't come back up! WTF? That is the first time I ever had shifting problems in the 2 years I had it so I can't complain at all. So we found 4 gear and cruized around to try and get a finish on the board and I did.

Sunday Qualify, Wally and I headed to grid early to get a front spot for open track. Forget it, the AIX/CMC boys have been parked there since 6am. SO wally said lets sand bag it on the warm up & lay way back and go for 2-3 laps and see what we get. That was a good plan for me since the clutch/slave problem was getting worse. I ran 2 laps and felt my 120.3 was good on the lap timer considering the shifting problems. Heck NO, wally rips off a 120.1.

Race, wally had a great start and was toying with the Ferrari WC type car in another class and lead for a few. I had a fair start considering and it shifted ok from 1-2 but when 3rd came into play "no way". Thats when I went from 3rd overall to nose blead section as the whole field went by me. I figured I was done since I couldn't find a gear till turn 1. Got 4th and left it there and would ocassionally temp to find 3rd at very low rpm range but it was a hit or miss. I wanted to atleast have a finish on the board again so my motto was to stay out until it won't move anymore.

Time to rip her apart and see whats going on in there. Going to call Randy @ Rippie and get a remote slave bleeder line kit like the guys suggested.

It was so nice to finally meet a lot of people face to face after chatting here on the forums. You were all so generous and like family, and hope to come back to your stomping grounds again.

GO WALLY GO YOU TIRE ****!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I'll chime in here as well.

Star of the weekend was Aaron, for the bed, food, beer, water, A/C, and everything else! you freaking ROCK!!!!!! Wally is always stupid fast, so to see him set the record was not surprising, lol! All the vette guys were great to see and I was amazed just how many there were!!!! 5 st-2 vettes, and 10 Instructor/student vette's parked in the same place.... felt like home BSing with the guys.

Saturday started with the realization I'd do my first standing start, which I'd never done!! Then a poor qualifying placed me in 14 over all on the start. Turn one was VERY hairy as gary and an s2000 go off in front of me in T1. I started flying after that, and clicking off 3 really fast laps, until the problems came. I was catching andrej coming down the front straight, when i suddenly had no power. My foot was to the floor and the power just died! I didnt hear a boom, or any weird noises, but the car would not really drive under its own power. So I pulled off on an access road to steam a little bit and watch the cars take T-3 at summit point. I was towed in and let the car sit.

I had bob Kanmer diagnose it with his tech-2 and nothing really came up but a bad crank sensor, which is weird because it didnt come up as a dash code. I might just replace that and go from there.

With the car not running right I stuck around for qualifying on sunday and headed out. The car is now at my shop and they are looking at it this week while I get back to finals....

BIG thanks again to Aaron Quine!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

results posted

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showru...638&perclass=1

Class Super Touring 2
1 17 Walead Hessami 22 30:23.678 1:20.902 8 88.997
2 21 Aaron Quine 22 31:13.124 49.446 1:21.010 19 88.878
3 8 Paul Kaiser 22 31:15.264 51.586 1:22.328 2 87.455
4 01 Andrej Balanc 22 31:17.092 53.414 1:23.031 19 86.715
5 20 Ross Miller 0 --:--:--.--- --:--:--.--- 0 -
6 60 Gary Wolf
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a fun weekend!!! Congrats to the Vette guys!!!

Randy
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TTU! Our good friend Mike Woods brought his beautiful silver C5 racer out to try his FIRST NASA TT event. cha-ching, 1st place both days strugling with a clutch pedal sticking to the floor and no 3rd or 4th at high rpms.

Thanks Aaron, Although new to NASA TT, I'm not new to TT. I had a great week, Tuesday I was at The Glen and won COMSCC SPA class with a 2:08 stuck in 4th gear. (track record for COM SPA) I tried to cancel NASA for the weekend by no refund or credit for NASA TT.
So I decided to run it the way it was. I was able to run in the 1:20.5.

Nice win Wally and Great Job guys, its nice to see the Vettes well represented.

DRM (RANDY) the coilovers were Awesome.

CARTEK (Max) the Motor is still together and asking for more. I will be calling you about labor on a clutch replacement.

Last edited by Woods; 04-27-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Here are some pictures from Corvette headquarters! Even got to meet the famous Mike JR Johnson running a spec miata this past weekend.

WALLY WAS HERE!

AARON WAS THERE!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rasrboy

Close UPs CLOSE UPS PLEZZZ
Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Close UPs CLOSE UPS PLEZZZ

Randy
Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Max@Cartek
Drifting

Originally Posted by Woods

Thanks Aaron, Although new to NASA TT, I'm not new to TT. I had a great week, Tuesday I was a The Glen and won COMSCC SPA class with a 2:08 stuck in 4th gear. (track record for COM SPA) I tried to cancel NASA for the weekend by no refund or credit for NASA TT.
So I decided to run it the way it was. I was able to run in the 1:20.5.

Nice win Wally and Great Job guys, its nice to see the Vettes well represented.

DRM (RANDY) the coilovers were Awesome.

CARTEK (Max) the Motor is still together and asking for more. I will be calling you about labor on a clutch replacement.

Very nice! ... well except for the sticking clutch

Imagine what you'll pick up once you can row the gears?!

It sounds like it was a great time this weekend for all.

Max
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Here is my 2 lap qualifyer from sunday morning. My 2nd lap was my fastest and the darn thing didn't want to find a gear on my downshift into the bowl in turn 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLRd9Fs7vY
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Congrats on the win again, that was very nice of Aaron to give you room glad the contact didn't turn in to something more. I wish I was there to mix it up with you guys or at least watch you to go at it live
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Congrats Wally, more free black crack! And agreed, Aaron is a damn nice guy and a very gracious host.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RogueVette
Aaron is a damn nice guy and a very gracious host.
I wish he was at every race I attended. First off, you get to race with him, then you get the kumho trailer, THEN he is an amazing bbq chef... I mean, what more can you ask for?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by wallyman424
I wish he was at every race I attended. First off, you get to race with him, then you get the kumho trailer, THEN he is an amazing bbq chef... I mean, what more can you ask for?
Strippers, that aside
Old 04-28-2009, 04:20 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy

A C4? What kind of joker still runs a C4?

Nice work guys, damn I wish I had a car that ran.

Wally, what was that about a love tap on Aaron's rear?

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Just a tiny love tap on Aaron's front and my rear.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 04-28-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA April at Summit Point recap/video

Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Hmmm Look what I found on the NAS-SE forum

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27988

Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ScaryFast

Wally, what was that about a love tap on Aaron's rear?
what happens at summit point stays at summit point

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Hmmm Look what I found on the NAS-SE forum

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27988
HAHA, after the awards on saturday, mike maduske wandered over and saw the BPK sticker on the car. He pulled out his iphone and decided that jody needed to see what was goin on.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=wallyman424;1569883924]what happens at summit point stays at summit point

Quick Reply: NASA April at Summit Point recap/video