Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 - Rear adjustable wing (Auto-x)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default C5 - Rear adjustable wing (Auto-x)?

I have been researching rear wing options for my C5. My application is for auto-x. Not road racing. The application needs ample down force for auto-x. Not at 80-200mph... Perhaps some others have experience with this?

Note that I am not looking for a 1$$$+ carbon fiber single element road racing rear wing as I have seen many manufacturers offer for the C5/C6. Not only is that price range appalling, but it would serve little purpose at auto-x speeds!

I am looking for something simular to the APR Racing Spec GT2 adjustable rear wing as shown below. Practical for both low & high speed applications... Actually I would prefer the GT2, but...

Not a vette, but a good close up...

Catch is that APR no longer makes them wider than 55" as they used to in the past! Although I have not measured the back yet of the C5 yet (in the race trailer at the RV park), I think it is in the 65" range.

Another APR wing

APR does offer a GTC300 ($1$$$) Road racing rear wing for the vette that is 67" wide. Not the right application or price range. The GT2 is <$500 and more pratical, but no longer an option from them in the right size.

Has any had any experience with other brands. I guess I am targeting SCCA SM2/SSM & the XP crowd for help... I run SSM.

Not looking for silly comments on why one might need a rear wing for auto-x. If you don't know then your not going fast enough!

Last edited by Solo2GS; 04-28-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
CertInsaneC5
Le Mans Master

Location: Freezing in the Midwest. Fort Wayne IN. Global warming my azz.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Are you kidding. For autocross your lucky if you reach 70-80mph.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:24 PM
66IISS
Racer

What class are you running? SCCA? NASA? I know in SP for SCCA you can't have a wing, but you can have a "spoiler". I'm curious if anyone has some testing results to show the benefits of rear down force for low speed auto-x.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I know a few that have run the rear "spoiler" option when in ASP/BSP. Can't say I have heard anyone say something negative while doing so. It is possible with the right spring/sway bar combination to attain tremendous front grip. But I know we all have experiences going around a long high speed sweeper where the front sticks just fine and the rear starts to rotate around... Where can it hurt to have down force on the rear in that situation?

Last edited by Solo2GS; 04-27-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The barn door rear spoiler (9-10" tall) makes very good downforce, but with a drag penalty. No big deal for autocross on a v8 car. It is the most cost effective. Any wing setup that can match or exceed it costs 5-10x as much. I use a g-stream wing, which is proven in the AI world, and still cheaper than many others. A wing shop or Pennon double element will cost you dearly, but in many cases, no mare than 1-1.5 sets of tires, and none of us think much about buying tires to be competitive
Old 04-28-2009, 09:59 AM
0MrPickles
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CertInsaneC5
The wing really does help, especially on large sweepers where the power is being put down. I noticed a difference between the spoiler (thanks stan!) I had and the wing I have currently. Most of the SM/SM2 folks have wings...if it didn't work.... the top drivers would not have one

Good luck Ron!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by XPC5R
The barn door rear spoiler (9-10" tall) makes very good downforce, but with a drag penalty. No big deal for autocross on a v8 car. It is the most cost effective. Any wing setup that can match or exceed it costs 5-10x as much. I use a g-stream wing, which is proven in the AI world, and still cheaper than many others. A wing shop or Pennon double element will cost you dearly, but in many cases, no mare than 1-1.5 sets of tires, and none of us think much about buying tires to be competitive
Thanks for the reference to another brand to look into.

Nice, but still rather spendy according to thier website. About the same cost as a set of tires, but I was hoping for a more affordable option like the PCR used to offer.

Comp 800

Comp 800 Race Wing (12" x 68"), also available in 62" width, Clear Carbon Gel Coat Finish.

Includes: 2 strut receivers, 2 Aluminum end plates and installation kit

Price does not include Struts, shipping or Ca. sales tax. - Comp 800 Wing - $1,395.00

Shipping wt. - 11.5 lb. Shipping box size: 12" x 12" x 72"

Nice picture of you on their web page!

A few years back, I remember seeing you at a Pro Solo in So. Cal.

Last edited by Solo2GS; 04-28-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You can try these guys.. That is the wing on my car. Have not tried it at autox but works great on the road coarse

http://www.fulcrummotorsports.com/
Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Fulcrum Motorsports

Thanks for the reference!

Down force Calculations

The table below shows the calculated down force and drag numbers for our 14" wing, with a 6 foot span. The numbers assume clean-air laminar flow, similar to what is achieved by a wing mounted high above the deck-lid with a smooth sloping rear window. Results may vary from car to car.

They calculate a 14 degree (angle of attack) at 50MPH creates 88lbs of down force and 197lbs at 75MPH. Incrementally higher at faster speeds... Not sure if 88lbs would do much for me!

From their website
Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Please tell me that goes down to the frame

BTW the wing you want for an autox will be a lot different than a road course.

Different Reynold's #
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Please tell me that goes down to the frame
That one appears too. LINK
Old 04-29-2009, 02:42 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes it is attached to the frame.. if you look close you can see the upright has a castlenut and pin on the inboard side that secures to a stud on a frame work that is welded to the frame.
ck the above link

Last edited by JVetthead; 04-29-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default Low Speed/High Speed Autocross

Originally Posted by CertInsaneC5
The National Council Of Corvette Clubs defines low speed autocrosses to be under 80 miles per hour and high speed autocrosses above 80 miles per hour. We are required to have a high speed license to participate in high speed.events. I can under stand the need for aero-modifications and have seen a few. One older gentleman from Arizona enplained his car being a little light in the rear at speeds above 200 mph until he installed his rear wing. And no he was not kidding.

Roger T
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger T
....One older gentleman from Arizona enplained his car being a little light in the rear at speeds above 200 mph until he installed his rear wing. And no he was not kidding.

Roger T
ROTFALMAO

You are talking about my friend, Ken Gerhart. I believe he's won his class the last 5 NASA events at Phoenix Int'l Raceway running less than 2 seconds off pure race Vettes that are 5-600 pounds lighter. Ken has full stock interior, stereo, AC, everything - plus roll bar, etc for safety. It is VERY fast. It is a Rippie prepared 427 w/coil-overs & much more. Here's a pic of Ken at speed:

I'll tell him you called him old too!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Roger T
The National Council Of Corvette Clubs defines low speed autocrosses to be under 80 miles per hour and high speed autocrosses above 80 miles per hour.
Note that <80MPH is in the stock classes! Group 2 & 3 on that same course can get in the triple digits as I have experienced!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 PM
rocktman1
1st Gear

Default low speed

Our wings (www.fulcrummotorsports.com) are higher than your requested price range, but I'd like to respond anyway.

Most of our customers run NASA events, where the corner speeds are 80+. They have reported noticable gains even in the low speed corners. There are two added benefits of the wing outside of downforce through the corner. One is the added pressure on the rear end during braking. All the guys love the fact that they can head deeper into the braking zone, and then have the extra "weight" on the rear to keep it planted. The other benefit is the endplate. These act as rudders through the turn, allowing you the confidence to hang the tail out a little further, with some side-force pushing you back in. The endplate also helps produce more downforce in the wing (actually it technically reduces the lift created by tip vortices, and therefore are pretty important)

All of that said, I will be perfectly honest that your requirements are a bit difficult to fill. The Reynolds numbers that you're looking at really require a multi-piece wing to produce the downforce you want. Picture an airliner on landing approach with the front slats and multi-piece rear flaps. We don't build these because they come at a high drag penalty for the speeds most customers carry. I'd be suprised if you find any other company give you their drag numbers.

If you have 10 minutes, I highly recommend that you study the design section of our website. It contains some good, non-technical descriptions of how aero can help. This section will grow as we continue to offer new venting products. Please feel free to PM/email me with any aero questions, I'd be happy to help, and will try not to sell our stuff to hard. OK, enough with our commercial, let's get back to wings...

Jim
Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks for all the replies. It has been very helpful.

On a good note, APR is making me a GT2 wing

Rumor has it they are in the planning stages of bringing back longer customized sizes of the GT2 wings

I'll let everyone know how it turns out!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyVet
ROTFALMAO

You are talking about my friend, Ken Gerhart. I believe he's won his class the last 5 NASA events at Phoenix Int'l Raceway running less than 2 seconds off pure race Vettes that are 5-600 pounds lighter. Ken has full stock interior, stereo, AC, everything - plus roll bar, etc for safety. It is VERY fast. It is a Rippie prepared 427 w/coil-overs & much more. Here's a pic of Ken at speed:

I'll tell him you called him old too!

Don't tell him anything about being old or he might start to act older. That guy is something else. Kenny is a 20 year old in the body of a older white hair body.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To C5 - Rear adjustable wing (Auto-x)?

Quick Reply: C5 - Rear adjustable wing (Auto-x)?