Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race wheels/tires no tire pressure monitors??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Race wheels/tires no tire pressure monitors??

I just got 4 18X10.5' Z06 wheels and will be running toyo r888's. I don't have the tire pressure monitors. Will it affect the dic or anything else??

Jason
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spiral04
I just got 4 18X10.5' Z06 wheels and will be running toyo r888's. I don't have the tire pressure monitors. Will it affect the dic or anything else??

Jason
For the DIC in the C6 it says something like Low Tire Pressure and you have to reset every so often when it comes on. I ran the Texas Mile several times all day and NO computer over rides.
I think it checks pressure every so often with the car on. with the car off I think once a day.

Its just annoying. However with a TPS you would know if your tire pressure was really low and you could do something about it...a set of C5 TPS and a magnet sensor sould be required, IMO.
There was a really bad accident at the Texas Mile where a 07Z06 had no sensors and the right front had a patch and was leaking thru it. could have killed the guy, as it was it just destroyed most of the front right.

Last edited by drivinfast; 04-28-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Here's a weird one for ya. The first 3 track events I atanded with no sensors in my race rubber, no problem. Then all of a sudden, at the fourth event, the computer decided it would not let me turn off active handling. I could still turn off traction control, but not AH and it stayed that way until I installed sensors. Swear to god. Do yourself a favor and spring for the sensors.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spiral04

Jason
I see by your personal profile, that you have a C5. Me too.

I've been running without TPMS in my race wheels for over 3 years, several track days each year. Except for the DIC warning message (Press Reset to clear it), I've had no effects at all. Save your money and don't bother getting the Sensors for your race wheels.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
I see by your personal profile, that you have a C5. Me too.

I've been running without TPMS in my race wheels for over 3 years, several track days each year. Except for the DIC warning message (Press Reset to clear it), I've had no effects at all. Save your money and don't bother getting the Sensors for your race wheels.
Good point, Bob. The devil is in the details. Hell, even his avatar is a C5 emblem. Mine's a C6.

Get notified of new replies

To Race wheels/tires no tire pressure monitors??

Quick Reply: Race wheels/tires no tire pressure monitors??