Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Technical question on Toe and Vette Suspension Geometry

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical question on Toe and Vette Suspension Geometry

OK

I got my car aligned a few weeks back no big deal.

I had them dial in 1/8 th total Toe Out up front. While they did that I asked if they could do an experiment...

Since on entry to a corner, typically you are on the throttle to set the rear of the car, the front will naturally get lighter and lift under the accelleration...

So I wanted to see what happened on the front end of the Vette when the front end's suspension lifted up a bit. Did this with the alignment gear on the car.

What I found was at full lift (lifting the car maybe 2 inches) the front Toe Out of about 1/8th becomes Toe In of about 1/8th (maybe a bit less but close enough) This seems to defeat the Toe Out setting a bit for corner entry, but still if it changes this much with a neutral Toe Out, it must be quite a bit more Toe In for the normal alignment?

My question is: Is there something that can be done here to improve the transitional alignment and suspension settings for the Vette? Has anyone done this? I assume the race teams build their own suspension arms and steering knuckles to control this better? Any comments?

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFleischer
Since on entry to a corner, typically you are on the throttle to set the rear of the car, the front will naturally get lighter and lift under the accelleration...
uh, no, typically on corner entry you are on the brakes to a) keep your foot on the gas as long as possible for the preceding straight, and b) to get weight to the front of the car for better turn-in.

So I wanted to see what happened on the front end of the Vette when the front end's suspension lifted up a bit. Did this with the alignment gear on the car.

What I found was at full lift (lifting the car maybe 2 inches) the front Toe Out of about 1/8th becomes Toe In of about 1/8th (maybe a bit less but close enough)
right, that is bump steer.

This seems to defeat the Toe Out setting a bit for corner entry, but still if it changes this much with a neutral Toe Out, it must be quite a bit more Toe In for the normal alignment?
since you are actually in bump for most corner entries, a 0 toe gives you a bit of toe out and helps you turn-in.

My question is: Is there something that can be done here to improve the transitional alignment and suspension settings for the Vette? Has anyone done this? I assume the race teams build their own suspension arms and steering knuckles to control this better? Any comments?
that is correct.

zip and LG sell bump steer kits, which change the steering geometry. it's pretty cheap, but if your car is not lowered then my guess is you don't need/want it. (with a lowered car you change the steering geometry and hence may want to adjust bump steer by making a corresponding adjustment in the height of the tie rod end or steering rack height.)

Quick Reply: Technical question on Toe and Vette Suspension Geometry