Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 PM
haikun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Catch Can

I installed a oil catch can last week in my 04-Z06 and "tried" it out last Friday at Thunderhill. It catches oil for sure and I should probably have checked it after each run.

After my third 20 minute section did I find that a small amount of motor oil had been running out of the air filter, wondered if anyone else has seen this ? (could not find oil anywhere else)

The catch can was roughly half full when I checked it and it could have been even more oil in it during the track time, if so could the oil have been pushed out of the can and end up in the air filter (Have an aftermarket Blackwing air filter !)

/Hakan
Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it plumbed into your valley cover/pcv or pass. valve cover vent?
I have two can's (one for each) and noticed that the pcv routed one always gets a little oil and the valve cover one gets nothing. That being said, the can that has oil in it is minimal yet the intake is all wet with oil. I have not run the car on the track since I went from the original driver's side valve cover pcv to the Z06 style valley cover. With the old setup, even on track, I got minimal oil in the can itself.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I posted my thoughts in the norcal section, but I have had the same problem before. My 1st track day I probably lost a quart of oil through my air filter . Basically (IMO) don't overfill your oil before going to the track or it will just end up in you air intake. Also check the catch can between each session. You also might want make sure you have the hoses routed to the correct locations on the CC .
Old 05-06-2009, 02:25 PM
haikun
Racer

Passive valve cover vent.

/Hakan
Old 05-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Salem_Vette
Advanced

Default Catch can

Originally Posted by haikun
Passive valve cover vent.

/Hakan
I installed one a year ago on a 99 frc, I get about 1/8 cup each 20 min. track time if I don't go above the full mark on the dipstick .
If I go above full mark it seams to catch a lot more
Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM
haikun
Racer

Will make sure it's not "overfilled" in any form for next track day and check the level in the catch "cup" after each 20 min session.

Will start looking into dry sump or accusump as well.

Thx for input / Hakan
Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Just put mine in and will have to somehow remind myself to check it after every session.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Salem_Vette
I installed one a year ago on a 99 frc, I get about 1/8 cup each 20 min. track time if I don't go above the full mark on the dipstick .
If I go above full mark it seams to catch a lot more

I was adding extra oil and getting quite a bit of oil in my catch can. I'm going to try a little less oil and see if that makes a difference.

Never had any come out the airfilter though.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
Just put mine in and will have to somehow remind myself to check it after every session.
I put one in the 99 FRC due to the oil residue on the back of the car. It has really helped with that problem. Once again RAFTRACER helped me out.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'm not seeing much oil in the can. Certainly not enough to empty after every session. And I always run a quart extra.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

my 1st 01 had a lot of ring blow by, especially if you were flogging it at the track. the can would catch a lot. my current 01 doesn't use, or blow by much oil. I did 3 days at CMP and there's barely any in my can. I had just emptied before I left.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Not sure whether the catch can really helps. I never had one on my 97 and don't have one on my 03Z. With both cars I ran a quart over in the pan and used about a half quart per day when at the track. Both cars ran fine and I have no/never had performance problems. On either car the only oil I ever had on the rear fascia is when the power steering let loose. When the pump seal on the 97 blew the fascia was actually wet with oil.

Bill
Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

I've said it before (I think!), and I'll say it again: Smith Brothers pushrods with oil restrictors are worth looking into here. My LS2 402 stroker was notorious for puking oil out the top end, and I'd have to drain my catch can (a highly stylish Prestone can!) after every couple of sessions.

These engines tend to pool a lot of oil up in the heads when running at sustained high RPMs. In addition to having the problem of puking out a lot of oil into catch-cans, you can run into oil starvation during G-loading as the pickup tube has less oil in the pan to draw from.

During a rebuild last year, I went to the Smith Brothers pushrods, which are specifically designed to combat this problem. Voila! No more large volume of oil in the catch-can, and no more "Low Oil Pressure" warnings. The pushrods obviously prevent as much oil from getting up into the heads in a given amount of time, so that you don't get that pooling problem. Now I run a much smaller (but equally stylish) Mobil1 quart bottle as my catch can, and get maybe a few teaspoons in a weekend.

Fred
Old 05-10-2009, 01:43 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I'm not seeing much oil in the can. Certainly not enough to empty after every session. And I always run a quart extra.
I see very little also and I run a quart over - but my rear fascia is getting cleaner.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 PM
haikun
Racer

Thx All for feedback, will check the catch can next time and ensure i have not overfilled oil (still want to ensure I have oil in the engine :-) . Seems as high rpm and tight turns makes it worse for some people.

/Hakan
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Can the valley cover pipe nipple be capped along with plastic nipple on LS6 intake & only keep the TB nipple connected to valve cover???
Old 05-12-2009, 04:29 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fhturner
I've said it before (I think!), and I'll say it again: Smith Brothers pushrods with oil restrictors are worth looking into here. My LS2 402 stroker was notorious for puking oil out the top end, and I'd have to drain my catch can (a highly stylish Prestone can!) after every couple of sessions.

These engines tend to pool a lot of oil up in the heads when running at sustained high RPMs. In addition to having the problem of puking out a lot of oil into catch-cans, you can run into oil starvation during G-loading as the pickup tube has less oil in the pan to draw from.

During a rebuild last year, I went to the Smith Brothers pushrods, which are specifically designed to combat this problem. Voila! No more large volume of oil in the catch-can, and no more "Low Oil Pressure" warnings. The pushrods obviously prevent as much oil from getting up into the heads in a given amount of time, so that you don't get that pooling problem. Now I run a much smaller (but equally stylish) Mobil1 quart bottle as my catch can, and get maybe a few teaspoons in a weekend.

Fred

Fred is correct. The Smith Brothers oil restricting pushrods are worth the cost. Also, while you are ordering them, get the 5/16 x 0.120 inch wall models. They will stiffen the valve train.

Another thing, one catch can is not enough. You need two!

They both catch oil. The can attached to the valve cover nipple needs to have its inlet higher than the nipple on the valve cover to prevent synphoning.

Finally, a GM FACTORY SERVICE TECHNICAN who roadraces stated to me that if you have a C5 with a stock oil pan /pump, you must add the extra quart of oil to the crankcase when autocrossing or roadracing.

Last edited by Pumba; 05-12-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Catch Can

Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Pumba,
You have a very neat looking set up. Though efficient, mine is rather bulky and noticable. What is the name of the canisters you use (like what are they normally used for) and I take it your small diameter hose is suffcient. I would like to convert my system to something like yours.
Thanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Can those restricted pushrods be used if one also drives on the street?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
Pumba,
You have a very neat looking set up. Though efficient, mine is rather bulky and noticable. What is the name of the canisters you use (like what are they normally used for) and I take it your small diameter hose is suffcient. I would like to convert my system to something like yours.
Thanks.

Paul,

I purchased my catch cans from Accurate Machine Works - http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp. When I realized that I needed a second catch can, I convinced them to make me a bracket to hold both of them. If you look, you can see it in the photos.

The 3/8 inch hoses work very well.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can