Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road racing tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM
socalzo6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Road racing tires

I am thinking about doing some road racing in my C5 zo6 and have a few questions about rims and tires. I want to buy some road racing tires and am a little confused on tire size. What size tires would you guys recommend? Do you think spare wagon wheels will work for a budget road racing combo? Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

I bought some aftermarket Z06 wheels - 18" all around - and mounted some Hoosier slicks for the track. I'm running 295 front / 315 rear.

For open road racing (racing on closed public highway) I bought another set of aftermarket Z06 wheels and mounted some Goodrich Y rated tires. They are tougher to withstand highway debris. I'm running 295s all around.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Racing
I bought some aftermarket Z06 wheels - 18" all around - and mounted some Hoosier slicks for the track. I'm running 295 front / 315 rear.

For open road racing (racing on closed public highway) I bought another set of aftermarket Z06 wheels and mounted some Goodrich Y rated tires. They are tougher to withstand highway debris. I'm running 295s all around.
nice setups!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
eschantra
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalzo6
I am thinking about doing some road racing in my C5 zo6 and have a few questions about rims and tires. I want to buy some road racing tires and am a little confused on tire size. What size tires would you guys recommend? Do you think spare wagon wheels will work for a budget road racing combo? Any help would be appreciated
If you've never been on a track before, I would suggest running whatever street tires you have now first because it's easier to approach their limits. As for tires, what class are you aiming for and are you gonna be driving to the track on them? I would skip the wagon wheels and get a set of Z06 wheels as they're pretty light, fairly cheap and 1" wider.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Stock C5 Z06 wheels are pretty hard to beat. Watch out for aftermarket versions as they are significantly heavier.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM
socalzo6
Pro

Originally Posted by eschantra
If you've never been on a track before, I would suggest running whatever street tires you have now first because it's easier to approach their limits. As for tires, what class are you aiming for and are you gonna be driving to the track on them? I would skip the wagon wheels and get a set of Z06 wheels as they're pretty light, fairly cheap and 1" wider.
Thanks for the help. I want to get something i can drive to the track with. If i get a extra set of z06 wheels, what brand and size tires should i purchase?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:56 AM
eschantra
Pro

Thanks for the help. I want to get something i can drive to the track with. If i get a extra set of z06 wheels, what brand and size tires should i purchase?
Haven't tried them yet, but search this forum for Toyo R888. For us the sizes would be 275/40-17 and 305/35-18. They seem to be grippier than a street tire, but with enough tread to get you home if it rains. I would like to eventually replace my regular street tires with these, especially since the Corvette isn't my DD.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:15 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Haven't tried them yet, but search this forum for Toyo R888. For us the sizes would be 275/40-17 and 305/35-18. They seem to be grippier than a street tire, but with enough tread to get you home if it rains. I would like to eventually replace my regular street tires with these, especially since the Corvette isn't my DD.
but........ they are LOUD!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Richard EVO
Pro

I'd recommend Nitto NT-01 over Toyo R-888 if you are looking at R-compounds. If you want R-comps that last longer, but have a little less grip, then Toyo RA-1.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
bgx12
Advanced

I bought a set of Kuhmo MX's for my first tire upgrade and I drove those to and from the event. I was very happy with the tires in terms of performance.

I now have Nitto NT-01's and a trailer, extra wheels etc. Do not get R comp tires for a while. I waited over a year and half before switching. The MX's are great though.

Get notified of new replies

To Road racing tires

Quick Reply: Road racing tires