Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas for attaching 'eye hooks' for my tire trailer?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Default Any ideas for attaching 'eye hooks' for my tire trailer?

Hey guys,

Bought the 4x6 mesh floor trailer from tractor supply, and was wondering what's the best / easiest method for attaching tie down hooks to the trailer.
Or is there an easier way? I've been looking around for any good pics of what others have done and came up empty.

Pics would be nice if you can

TIA
Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

One way would be to find an eye that just makes it through the mesh, use a thick washer on the top and botton and bolt it to the deck.

Hope that helps
Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

link to trailer picture?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I wouldn't attach eyebolts to the mesh. The steel is fairly thin (maybe 3/32 or 1/8) and the stamping twists the steel where the chunks are stamped out and that makes it weaker.

You can drill holes on the vertical portion of the frame and use 5/16 eyebolts. Use a flat washer on the eye side and a flat washer and nylock nuts with a flat washer to tighten it down.

I installed eyebolts at each corner of my old HF trailer. In the attached pic, you can see the front two and there is one on the frame just under the block of wood. I had a total of 8 eyebolts so I could attach ratchet straps anywhere they were needed.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 09-03-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're doing this as tie-downs for ratchets to hold the wheels in place. You don't need to. Use the frame rail and clip the ratchet hook right to it and crank it down tight. The mess is not that rugged for that. It's fine to hook bungie cords too for holding a canopy/chair. I have my tool bin out front. Then stack 2 wheels flat behind it. Then 2 wheels flat behind them. I run the tie-downs over the top of the wheel/tire and connect to a side rail. Works just fine. Sorry I don't have pictures. Never took any. I have the same trailer as you.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:52 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

I have the same trailer.

I currently run a piece of 2" pvc through the tires and ratchet strap through the pipe and hook to the built in spots in the front. Then a backup strap over the top on a 45 angle to hold the tires to the front. 2 more straps hold my big bin on the back.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put my front eye hooks on the frame, the rear ones through the deck and center frame rail of the trailer. I've also found it's a million times easier to stow the wheels standing up, rather than stacking them. You can easily fit 4 315s across that trailer.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I recently bought the same 4x6 trailer from TSC.

Been thinking about installing either marine-grade plywood or a fiberglass panel onto the top side of the mesh floor. Lowes & Home Depot both carry pre-finished 4x8 fiberglass sheets intended to be used as the walls of a shower. That would protect everything from getting soaked & filthy from rain splashed up from underneath, and also prevent the mesh from digging into the tires and the plastic box on hot days.

See below for CF'er Johninar's pic, which is the same trailer and exactly the setup I have in mind (not including the floor sheet idea).

Wheels standing up across the front, big plastic box bolted down at the rear, with each bolt going thru a wood block underneath to spread the load and avoid the issue that C4Cruiser mentioned. Cooler & E-Z Up (or a second set of tires) can go in the middle as needed.

A piece of angle iron bolted across the top of the side rails to 'cradle' the tires and block them from moving horizontally. Then use a pipe and chain through the wheel centers to padlock them to the bottom side rails.

Looks like a winner to me !!

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 05-12-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
I recently bought the same 4x6 trailer from TSC.

Been thinking about installing either marine-grade plywood or a fiberglass panel onto the top side of the mesh floor. Lowes & Home Depot both carry pre-finished 4x8 fiberglass sheets intended to be used as the walls of a shower. That would protect everything from getting soaked & filthy from rain splashed up from underneath, and also prevent the mesh from digging into the tires and the plastic box on hot days.

See below for CF'er Johninar's pic, which is the same trailer and exactly the setup I have in mind (not including the floor sheet idea).

Wheels standing up across the front, big plastic box bolted down at the rear, with each bolt going thru a wood block underneath to spread the load and avoid the issue that C4Cruiser mentioned. Cooler & E-Z Up (or a second set of tires) can go in the middle as needed.

A piece of angle iron bolted across the top of the side rails to 'cradle' the tires and block them from moving horizontally. Then use a pipe and chain through the wheel centers to padlock them to the bottom side rails.

Looks like a winner to me !!

I knew I say that pic before... that's what gave me the idea for the TSC trailer.

I noticed you're able to turn the draw bar to the 'regular' position. Wasn't sure if that was too low.

I work for a steel fabricator, so my resources are rather good

To the comment above about eye hooks attaching to the mesh... I was planning on cutting the mesh and attaching tabs to the angle frame under it. I've since gotten some inspiration from a local autocrosser, and once I get it done, I'll post some pics.
THanks guys!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:27 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I did not have good results putting the tool bin in the rear. It made the nose really light. Almost no tongue weight. I ended up putting the tool bin out front. Then just stacking wheels 2 high and flat. I can't fit them 4-wide like in that picture.

That trailer is so much more useful than that small HF ones though. When not acting as a tire/tool totter. It can haul my riding mower
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Garick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine setup...

It sits perfect with a 2-1/2" drop ball mount and draw tite hitch. Nice and low to the ground, another plus.

I have the tires mounted up front with a piece of angle bolted to the top of the side rails. They sit in there really solid with just one ratchet strap about 30 degrees from the top of the tires and connected to the existing tie down points. I also ran a strap through the hubs to be safe.

I mounted a contico box from lowes on the back. its bolted to the two rearmost from rails through 2 pieces of 1/8" bar since the box wasn't long enough to span the rails. I cut a bit of mesh out near the rearmost frame rail to make fitment easier at the front of the box and just set it on top of the mesh at the back.

I'd like to get it on scales somehow to get the tongue weight but it seems to pull nice and I think my tires are a lot heavier than what I have in the box.

I'm even thinking about attaching a bike carrier to the floor somehow. This trailer allows so much more flexibility I love it.

Last edited by Garick; 05-12-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Holy smokes! Take the BSM off your Z and our setups are almost the same...

I got black Z wheels done too

thanks for the pics and tips!

Get notified of new replies

To Any ideas for attaching 'eye hooks' for my tire trailer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any ideas for attaching 'eye hooks' for my tire trailer?