Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wilwood

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
djZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilwood 14.25" brakes for track

Any thoughts on Wilwoods 14.25" WA6 brakes for track in lieu of Stoptech or Brembo. Im not a fan of Wilwood but theres a vendor on another forum stating that track guys are tossing out there stock and aftermarket brakes for these.
Hard to believe although I would find them better than stock.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ustoms/W6A.jpg

Last edited by djZ06; 05-17-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

how much they trying to sell them for?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 PM
djZ06
Instructor

The following is from the vendors described listing or shall we say his marketing pitch. Although Im only interested in purchasing rotors and calipers.

It not the sales pitch I care about its opinion on how its stated that the track guys or changing up to these. What would make these more exclusive than lets say stoptech or brembo.

The few individuals that I know tracking there vettes would not think twice about changing out there brembos, stoptech and myself having ap racing.

(We can sell these kits in our Exclusive Prodigy Customs Total Car G Machine Brake Packages, including everything you need to convert your brake system, Braided front and rear hoses, E brake cables, Wilwood master, Prop valve, Wilwood fluid, even the safety wire and pliers you need to assemble your rotors. All for less then $5K!!!! We also offer pre assembled rotors for those skidish about doing your own saftey wire.
Compare these W6a kits to Brembo, Baer, Stop Tech, and other super high end brakes, and you are spending THOUSANDS less for these Wilwoods! and these are a great price for high end brakes)

Last edited by djZ06; 05-17-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've sold a few kits to the track guys before. They are a good value, but if you are taking the trip down the aftermarket brake upgrade. Why not spend just a bit more. Or what many people I know do, is run something really nice up front and more the fronts to the rear.
Still a good kit at a fair price.

Randy
Old 05-17-2009, 10:27 PM
djZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I've sold a few kits to the track guys before. They are a good value, but if you are taking the trip down the aftermarket brake upgrade. Why not spend just a bit more. Or what many people I know do, is run something really nice up front and more the fronts to the rear.
Still a good kit at a fair price.

Randy
Thanks for the reply Randy.
Not looking to upgrade I already have AP (mostly street driven) My post was intended to find out why these may be better, if so, the way the vendor claims track guys are switching over to these. I do know the cost factor has played a part with individual selection.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

how much did they state for the 6 piston front kit?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 PM
djZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
how much did they state for the 6 piston front kit?
He only states the price for the package (which i showed prior) which is 6p up front. It is posted on lateral g forum under vendor sales. However I have heard from many that it takes a long time to get product from him. Im assuming because hes filling his orders so he can get a group rate at one time. The last item i purchased from him took 2 1/2 months and I was promised 2 weeks.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 AM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've done a good amount of research on different kits. I'd talk to Todd @ TCE about the Wilwoods.

On the ST-40 vs. ST-60 vs. W6A, the ST-60s have about the same area as the W6As, and ~15% more area than the ST-40s. The ST-60s have ~9% more pad volume than the W6As, and ~15% more pad volume than the ST-40s.

The StopTechs would use their 355x32mm AeroRotor. The Wilwoods could use their 362x32 or a 362x35 rotor (which is actually cheaper at $200 per replacement; TCE makes a spacer kit to widen the caliper). Obviously the StopTech rotors are floating, but I'm not sure how important this is in practice. On a Corvette, the larger rotor is nice because it allows you to duct more air into the hat area (which can't be done on smaller rotors due to the size of the upright).

Prices are around $2100 for a W6A kit, $2500 for ST-40s and $3100 for ST-60s. As far as pad costs go, I think H-compound pads for the W6As are $210. Hawk DTC-70s for the ST-60 are $400 a set (ouch!). For the ST-40s they are only $292. Other than the 35mm rotor, replacements on those seem to run around $250.

If I don't go with the W6A kit, it will be because of pad availability. Unfortunately I have a motor to replace before I go worrying about brakes, though.

Last edited by GrantB; 05-18-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To wilwood

Quick Reply: wilwood