Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scored rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Scored rotors and pads

I was getting my c-5 ready for the SVTOA event at Sebring next weekend, and pulled my rear brake caliper to check the life of my pads (Hawk Blue's). I did this because the rotors are very scored and from the angle I had, the pad looked very thin. Well the good news is that there is about 1/4 of pad left, the bad news is that the pad looks as scored as the rotor. I have never seen scored pads before.
So my question, will the brakes be ok once they heat up even though they look terrible?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

For normal street use or a short session or two on the track you should be OK. If you are going to run all weekend - 6-8 run groups, it's time to change the pads and rotors. 1/4 of a set of pads will never get you through two track days especially at Sebring. Change them out before you go so that you don't go metal to metal and waste the rest of the weekend.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed you'll want to change them out -- 1/4 pad isn't much and won't do a very good job of keeping the heat out of the caliper. But having run Blues (and Blacks) a lot on other cars... that's pretty normal for those pads to end up with pads and rotors that look scored.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:52 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

blue's will eat rotors like a cheese grater.
then rust your rims / car, suspension, driveway, and everything in it's path.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 AM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, thanks that's the information I was looking for. One correction to the origional post I had 1/4 inch of pad left which should be about 1/2 pad life, I did not measure the new Hawk pads but did measure my new Corbotech pads and came up with a new size of 3/8 inch.

I had bought Carbotec's 10's and 12's last year to install when the Blue's were shot.

Well I guess the time has come. I have to check my old rotors, as I never throw anything away. These were on the car when I bought it, prior to any track use. I will put a micrometer on them to see if they are still up to specs. If not off to NAPA.

But tell me I loved the way the Blue's stopped. I could go very deep into the turns before braking they were fabulous pads. So can I expect the same performance form the Carbotec's?

Thanks,

Jay B

Last edited by jaybar; 05-19-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: omited item

Get notified of new replies

To Scored rotors and pads

Quick Reply: Scored rotors and pads