Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside the batwing C5 oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 AM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Inside the batwing C5 oil pan

Since there has been some discussion of oil pans and starvation lately, I thought I'd post the pics of my pan:

I've seen pics of some C5 pans which have the floor of the wings as a second cast piece bolted on to the main pan, like so:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/783/c5oilpanbw5.jpg
My pan isn't like this; its just one piece. Does anyone know what the differences are between these pans? Are they the same internally?

I'm working with a friend of mine (who designed this baffle for F-bodies) to see if we can get a bolt-in trap-door setup for the C5 pan.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 AM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using a ls2/3 pan in my C5. Better design than the batwing even though it looks much simpler on the outside and it bolts right up.

I see them come up on the C6 parts for sale/wanted section from time to time.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:21 PM
GrantB
Racer

Originally Posted by Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
I'm using a ls2/3 pan in my C5. Better design than the batwing even though it looks much simpler on the outside and it bolts right up.
What makes you say its a better design? I've showed the pics to a few people, and they seem to believe the C5 pan is better. Specifically they cite the lower capacity of the C6 pan and the lack of a cover to prevent slosh.

Last edited by GrantB; 05-25-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:04 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I personally prefer the LS1/LS6 design based on nothing more than personal durability and the extra oil capacity
The following users liked this post:
CorcetteTrev (04-12-2022)
Old 05-25-2009, 05:45 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I personally prefer the LS1/LS6 design based on nothing more than personal durability and the extra oil capacity
U da Man!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 AM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GrantB
What makes you say its a better design? I've showed the pics to a few people, and they seem to believe the C5 pan is better. Specifically they cite the lower capacity of the C6 pan and the lack of a cover to prevent slosh.
This argument has continued ever since the LS2 debuted. The best test would be to use the same car and same driver, and then just swap pans and head back out and finally do an oil analysis between them. A Traqmate or some sort of data acquisition would be nice to throw in there as well just to confirm the car’s G load. Has anyone done this? If so, I’d love to see if they were able to establish any kind of conclusion. Link it or explain your circumstance if you have one that would be similar to this best case scenario if you have one.

The closest version of this we’ve done is take an LS6 C5 and an LS3 C6 through the same High G turn at Barber, over the tunnel and towards pit in, with the same hot shoe driver in each car and watched oil pressure. Both cars were stock wet sump w/o accusump. The C6 is the faster car through this section, yet it’s the C5s oil pressure that was falling off. Both engines were stock GM, no rebuild. I chose the LS2 pan in my own car because the engine was out, I’m using a 3 qt accusump anyway, the test above, it weighs less, extra capacity isn’t an issue for me especially with the oil cooler, and who knows, GM’s claim that the LS2 pan is “better”, might actually mean for performance, not just for their wallet.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that the C6 T1 racers are particularily fond of the "LS2" pan........

If I were wetsump still, it would be the later of the batwings.....I had an LS2 pan on my car when it was wetsump for about 2 months before I went back to the batwing.

Somewhere there were pictures of Chris Ingle's "special" oil pan that GM gave him..........guess what....they turned a LS2 pan into a batwing.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 AM
GrantB
Racer

Well isn't this just clear as mud!

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I think that the C6 T1 racers are particularily fond of the "LS2" pan........

If I were wetsump still, it would be the later of the batwings.....I had an LS2 pan on my car when it was wetsump for about 2 months before I went back to the batwing.
So you had more oil pressure issues with the LS2 pan?

...it would be the later of the batwings...
So were there two batwing designs? One with a bolt-in floor, starting around 2000 or so? What makes you say its better than the one-piece pan? I'm going to purchase one and post up pics of it too...

Robert, any idea what year the C5 that lost pressure was?

So do you guys think there would be any market for a bolt-in trapdoor setup for the batwings? It'd have small little doors that fit into place over the mouse-holes. The seal probably can't be made perfect on a cast pan, but if it mostly kept oil from sloshing into the opposite wing under cornering, I think it could be a huge help to oil starvation.

Last edited by GrantB; 05-26-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Did not the SCCA just approve the use of Dry Sumps in T1? Parity do the oiling problems in the LS3
The following users liked this post:
CorcetteTrev (04-12-2022)
Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Did not the SCCA just approve the use of Dry Sumps in T1? Parity do the oiling problems in the LS3
Yes they did.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

[QUOTE=RAFTRACER;1570211789]I had an LS2 pan on my car when it was wetsump for about 2 months before I went back to the batwing.
QUOTE]

What were the signs that told you the LS2 pan was a problem?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Robert@SPEEDSOUTH;1570213871]
I had an LS2 pan on my car when it was wetsump for about 2 months before I went back to the batwing.
QUOTE]

What were the signs that told you the LS2 pan was a problem?

Oil starvation, bearing material in oil filter, etc.........

I figured "if it aint broke dont fix it " and went back to the batwing.

The batwing still created some limitations in my application, and was having a hard time keeping oil cool enough so I went dry-sump. Added lots of volume with the dry-sump...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the batwing pan a bolt-on for an ls2?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM
0DAVID@VASPEED
Former Vendor

What kind of dry sump did you use, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:11 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

I've got a few oil analysis sheets from the C6. Some preceeded the oil cooler, some after. I think I have one here from a street driven C6Z somewhere too just for kicks. I'll see if I can scan these and post in a little while. Raftracer, do you have any on the batwing or do you think Chris Ingle has something? It would be great to compare them all. Maybe this would help draw some conclusions.

Great thread!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

I forgot to add that when my car was wet-sump it always had a 3-quart accusump on it....

I never got to the oil analyzation part.....I could see bearing material in the filter......never completely spun a bearing. I never let it get that far......Taking engines in and out frequently sucks !!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

I forgot to add that when my car was wet-sump it always had a 3-quart accusump on it....

I never got to the oil analyzation part.....I could see bearing material in the filter......never completely spun a bearing. I never let it get that far......Taking engines in and out frequently sucks !!!!
Do you think Chris has anything? Does he keep an eye on the forums or is there a way to contact him?

I'm digging for the analysis stuff now.

Get notified of new replies

To Inside the batwing C5 oil pan

Old 05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
GrantB
Racer

When my car is back together, I'll log oil pressure during track sessions and post the results. I just need to decide what oil pan to run...

Robert, see the link I posted in the first post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...post1569196128

How quick is your C6? Is it a T1 car?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

When my car is back together, I'll log oil pressure during track sessions and post the results. I just need to decide what oil pan to run...

Robert, see the link I posted in the first post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...post1569196128

How quick is your C6? Is it a T1 car?
My co-worker drives it. 1:37 with fresh R6s at Barber, I believe he was 1:34 at Road Atlanta. 418 rwhp on DynoJet.

Here's the link.
http://www.speedsouth.com/files/LS3_SPEEDSOUTH.pdf

Oh boy, lets here David Farmer chime in on this link.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:40 PM
CorcetteTrev
2nd Gear

Since there has been some discussion of oil pans and starvation lately, I thought I'd post the pics of my pan:

I've seen pics of some C5 pans which have the floor of the wings as a second cast piece bolted on to the main pan, like so:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/783/c5oilpanbw5.jpg
My pan isn't like this; its just one piece. Does anyone know what the differences are between these pans? Are they the same internally?

I'm working with a friend of mine (who designed this baffle for F-bodies) to see if we can get a bolt-in trap-door setup for the C5 pan.
the two piece allows for trap doors and to easily replace the seal. People will use this batwing style even if they move over to a drysump as well. Batwing is one of the best oiling pans to date 📅