Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IRL Areo Package

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:36 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default IRL Areo Package

IMHO, it's getting old to hear about poor performance in dirty air. F1 has adopted new design standards that has helped cars aero characteristics in traffic and I think it's about time that the IRL does so as well. I don't agree with everything about F1...but I feel that many of the 2009 changes have been good for the sport. I know changes cost money, but in the grand scheme of things I believe the IRL could somewhat copycat the F1 aero package and help create a more competitive environment that would hopefully start rebuilding the "open wheel racing" fan base here in the USA. If the IRL could follow leading edge design that is now becomming more consistant with their goal of making open wheel racing more competitive rather than stick with older traditional designs maybe we could have more Americans competing on a world stage.

Just my $.02 after hearing "dirty air" too many times during the Indy 500 broadcast as a reason that potentially faster car/driver combinations could not work through the pack more effectively. I am not a devout fan of circle track racing, although I believe it could be done better and with that being said:

Happy Memorial Day to all and especially to the men & women putting their lives in harms way to protect our country & our freedom. God Bless all of our Veterans & Their Families
Old 05-25-2009, 02:07 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need a new car period, and fast. PT was right. These things are crap wagons. I've never missed Champ Car so much.

What I'd love to see is an aero package similar to F1 with the large, low front wing and high, narrow rear wing, but give them a smaller and less effective rear diffuser. The elaborate diffuser on the Brawn's has negated a lot of what the narrow, high rear wing has gained as far as lowering turbulence behind the car.

What I'd really love to see with the Indy cars less aero and more power. Wouldn't it be great if the driver had too much power at their disposal for the amount of aero that they had. Then, they'd actually have to modulate the accelerator. If they go too fast for the amount of grip that they have, they end up in the wall. That's how it used to be.

They should have a turbocharged engine too. They could crank up the boost for road courses and then limit the boost for the ovals, so they don't get going too fast. That way, we wouldn't have a complete yawn fest at the street and road courses. Then again, if they had the right aero package, they wouldn't be able to overdrive the aero and that would keep the top speeds down.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:36 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Honda has offered the IndyCar Series a version of Champ Car's push-to-pass button, but series officials have not yet accepted it. The system has been tested at several tracks, most recently last week by Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan at Chicagoland Speedway. Dixon said it added 5 hp and 200 rpms at that track.

A Honda official said the device added a 5-mph burst during a test at Richmond International Raceway.

In addition to problems passing cars, the other issue now prevalent in the IndyCar Series is the air flow behind the cars. Turbulence is preventing drivers from pulling alongside their competitors. The combination has deteriorated the show on the larger oval tracks.

Mike Hull, managing director of Ganassi Racing, which employs Dixon, said the push-to-pass would benefit race fans.

"It's not a game changer, but it would be a help, no question about it," he said. "I don't know how you put a value on it, but entertainment is a big part of what we do, and that's what we're lacking at the moment. The people in the grandstand need to feel they've gotten their value back."

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...xzz0JB3r4ePq&D
Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Judging from this past weekend I'd say they were a little 'bump sensitive'

Aero package seems to work in the ovals anyways.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

as long as they race ovals, I just won't watch. I enjoyed Champ Car, IRL not at all.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Judging from this past weekend I'd say they were a little 'bump sensitive'

Aero package seems to work in the ovals anyways.
I missed the race Sunday but caught some Indy Lights on the tube at lunch today (VS.) On small ovals the aero isn't an issue at all (I hate short ovals), but 1.5 miles & up there is a lot of room for improvement. This years Indy 500 was competitive, but it was evident that passing was difficult from aero issues.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
as long as they race ovals, I just won't watch. I enjoyed Champ Car, IRL not at all.
Next season adding two more road courses, actually one through city streets (the worse imo) and the other on a well known venue that I cannot think of now.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the wings off of the cars and put skinny tires on them. That would be interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To IRL Areo Package

Quick Reply: IRL Areo Package