Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 quart overfill

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:42 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1 quart overfill

I have a question here. The factory recommends 1 quart over for when tracking. I'm wondering why if it's ok during tracking with redline shifts, what kind of damage can be done if any driving the car on the street with 1 extra quart. And what exactly would the damage be? Is there really an answer to this? Why not just add the extra quart to the dipstick and be done with it?
Old 05-31-2009, 07:54 PM
LS3FORME
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i do not think it pertains to redline or shifting, it think it is more closely linked, to g forces pushing the oil to the left or right of the engine and oil pan in high -g turns. The extra oil increase volume, decreases voids open spaces and prevent the pump from not having oil. IMHO. I run about 1/2 extra quart for track days.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3FORME
i do not think it pertains to redline or shifting, it think it is more closely linked, to g forces pushing the oil to the left or right of the engine and oil pan in high -g turns. The extra oil increase volume, decreases voids open spaces and prevent the pump from not having oil. IMHO. I run about 1/2 extra quart for track days.
Thanks. I understand why the overfill, I'm trying to find out what's the harm in being over full ALL the time. And if there were damage, what would be the damage. I also understand that if it was WAY over full, it would get excessive windage in the crank case. So I guess, to be more specific, what's the reason for making the oil capacity different for the two situations.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

No harm,

I run 1/2 to 1 qt over (cold). 2 vettes 7 yrs zero problems.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also Some extra oil gets pushed out to the catch can.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't overfill mine when I change it, but once I put it in for the track, I usually leave it until I change again. 2 1/2 hrs in the hot sun at Rd Atl yesterday and my oil life went from 80% remaining to 77%. I would have thought it would have been more than that.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We took ours to the shop for suspension work and had them do an oil change while on the lift........they forgot to dump the sump in first.........did the change.......asked how much oil to put it......told them 9qts.........

Then we pulled the car over to the dyno........dumped the sump (3qts old oil) to preoil the motor and away we went........car only made 334rwhp........couldn't figure it out until we realized the error........drained 4 qts to be safe.......+31 hp to 365rwhp (Mustang Dyno) = 392 on Dynojet later. Windage = BAD.

Got another oil change after that.........LOL!!

Don't overfill too much!!!

Last edited by CP Thunder; 06-02-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM
imp zog
Racer

With my '01 LS6, I always added an extra quart of oil and never had an issue since it was an oil-burner (the '01 problem with the scrubber ring flutter that allowed blow-by). Last fall I dropped in a crate LS6, and this one seriously dislikes a full quart of overfill! I ended up with oil *running* out of the intake plenum and out onto the ground. At a half quart overfill, I haven't had a problem since. I have a catch can on the crankcase PCV line, but not on the valve cover line, so that will be my next mod to see if I catch anything there.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Add at least a half. Blew up a new engine in '07 on my new LS2 race car at LRP on Tuesday test day before the National because no one knew about this. Was a def problem on the new vettes which seems to be cured with the additional oil. Too much and you get it out of the exhausts.

Get notified of new replies

To 1 quart overfill

Quick Reply: 1 quart overfill