Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chaparral 2E

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Chaparral 2E

Jim Hall drove the Chaparral 2E this past week. We were rained out on Thursday so we had lots of time to visit with Mr. Hall.

Here's a picture of me and Jim Hall.

Mr. Hall said the 2E is probably his favorite of the cars. (can you tell?)

The first year (1966) they ran a small block Chevy. They got all the bugs worked out by end of the season and then Chevy said they wanted them to start running the "new" big block. So they changed over to the big block. They had more troubles and the 2E we never as competitive the 2nd year as they would have been with the small block. Mr. Hall thinks they should have stayed with the small block.

This was the first of the winged Chaparrals. Mr. Hall said one race the wing stuck in the up (max downforce) position and they couldn't run fast at all. I told him I found a video on the internet that showed the wing in action. He just grinned and said it worked good.

Wheels and tires - they started running 16" diameter wheels to allow larger brakes and better sized tires. Other racers were running 15" wheels with thin tires. The 2E now has Hoosiers but I think they still have some original Firestones for when the car is on display. The original wheels are magnesium and super light.

There were a few times he stopped and revved up the engine like he was going to burn rubber. Then he'd launch and go around the driveway much faster than the "regular" driver. I told him he put on a better show than the other drivers. He laughed and said "oh yeah....well if the track was swept I'd have gone faster" (already got some volunteers to sweep next time )

This is one of my favorite pics.

Yes that is Jim Hall driving a motorized bar stool. He seems to be enjoying it...but talk about a short wheel base and high center of gravity
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Damn I love that car.

Great pics

So were is the pic of you sitting in the cockpit ??
Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Pics!

Love the 2E.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Damn I love that car.

Great pics

So were is the pic of you sitting in the cockpit ??
I wish.
I don't think there is any padding in that seat and the sides are pretty high. I'm not sure I could squeeze in.

Mr. Hall said he still fit in the seat after all these years. It looks like he slid right in like putting on a pair of your favorite boots.

There is a mockup 2E in the museum that you can get in. It is very close to the original from the outside but I'm sure the seat is not near what is in the original.

I'll post some videos in the next few days.
I had a Hot Wheels 2E when I was little. That was my first intro to Chaparral cars and I thought they were the coolest. It was my favorite Hot Wheels.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I had a *** .049 powered version of this car. It was a major inspiration for why I went to engineering school.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I did see the 2E race at Road America, along with many other of Mr Halls great cars.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

The car that introduced the modern race car.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

I attended *every* Cam-Am (series #1) race at Riverside Raceway. (I saw Roger Penske win as a driver in the Zerex Special - which isn't really Can-Am, but....) At least 50% of the reasons for going in those days was to see what Jim Hall had come up with that year. To this day I remember the intro of the Chapparal 2 with that wedge front end. It was so low in the front (which no one did in those day) that the front splitter (also a new idea I think) would scrape on the pavement simply from backing off the gas. So, coming up the esses it would make this occasional, but quite prominent, chittering noise. It took us a while to figure out just what the heck it was!

Then came the 2E! It's wonderful being able to see actual evolution in the aero knowledge.

Good days, those!

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 03-20-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 AM
dcvee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I had a *** .049 powered version of this car. It was a major inspiration for why I went to engineering school.

LOL!! I had the same car...and also went on to become an ME.

Very nice piece OP....thanks for sharing!!

Don
Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Here's some videos

Jim Hall climbing into the cockpit. He joked "it still fits!"

I was surprised how quickly it fired up and idle smoothly. The car had been sitting for over an hour (that's how long I'd been there). I don't know if they warmed it up before that.

I was going to make a comment about him wearing his hat backward but thought better of it.

I call this the high speed pass because Mr. Hall is driving around the circle much faster than normal.

We joked about taking out the speed bumps on the roads behind the museum so they could drive the Chaparrals on the road course instead of the circle track. That would be cool.

finally - the wing. at the end of the video you can see the wing go to the low-downforce position Since there is no clutch, there is a pedal in its place that operates the wing.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 AM
dcvee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very, very nice. A peach of a Chaparral and Jim Hall driving it. Damn. You win.

Don

Get notified of new replies

To Chaparral 2E

Quick Reply: Chaparral 2E