Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Brakes on a C5 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default C6 Brakes on a C5 - Questions

Several threads recently have talked about the C5 calipers and how they tend to spread, cause pad taper and short life and need periodic replacing. For me right now, the stock C5 brakes are fine (with the DRM ducts, SS lines, ATE fluid and Carbotech pads) but...in the future if these brakes start causing me issues I'd like to upgrade.

I'm aware of most of the aftermarket brake options but I'm a little confused about the C6 brakes. A couple posts suggested that the C6 calipers are a cost effective upgrade - stiffer and larger caliper, better pad life.

- Are there three versions of the C6 brakes: standard, Z51 and Z06? If so, which one should I look into?

- Are they a direct bolt on to the C5 or do I need C6 brackets?

- What about rotors - what is the size of the C6 rotor? 14? width?

Any answers or other advice appreciated.

TIA, Brad
Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
- Are there three versions of the C6 brakes: standard, Z51 and Z06? If so, which one should I look into?

- Are they a direct bolt on to the C5 or do I need C6 brackets?

- What about rotors - what is the size of the C6 rotor? 14? width?
3 brakes versions, base, Z51, and Z06. base and Z51 use the same caliper (I think) but use different brackets. the Z51 allows for a larger ~13.4" front rotor. The Z06 uses a totally different 6 pot caliper and ~14" rotor.

You can run a C6 caliper on a C5 size rotor using the C5 brackets. I believe the base C6 rotor is same as the C5, Z51 as mentioned is ~13.4".

A 'po mans C5 kit would be a Z51 bracket, C6 caliper w/ SS pistons, your choice of track pads, and a nice coleman 2 pc rotor sold by one of the vendors on here. (or you could use the C5 brackets and still run a quality 2 pc rotor if you must fit in 17" wheels).
Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Base C6 and C6 Z51 use the same caliper. As mentioned, these are very similar to C5 calipers (same pistons), but the body is supposedly stronger and more resistant to spread.

Last I heard the C6 Z51 rotors were still expensive (and all factory rotors are drilled, which means they crack at the track) and not worth the extra cash.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the C6 caliper part#88964164 $148.02 from Gene (same part# for Z51 or C6).
I use my original C5 bracket and have Coleman 2pc rotors from Rob (VectorVette) in the stock C5 size. He also makes a 2pc with or without the e-brake for the rears. Gary @ Hardbar also makes 2pc rotors for front and rear.
I use SSt pistons from DRM. They are the exact same size as the C5's.
Everything is an exact fit. If you track DO NOT install the dust boots! They burn off and get hard thus causing the pistons to drag.
The Z51 is just a larger rotor which requires the z51 bracket but it will still all bolt up to the C5.
The Z06 calipers will also bolt directly to the C5 and then you can use a 14" rotor. You just have to remove the C5 caliper and bracket. The Z06 caliper has the mount as part of the caliper.

The C6 caliper is much stronger across the bridge. There are pictures on the forum, just do a search. There is about 1/4 inch more material across the bridge on a C6 caliper as compared to a C5 caliper.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and add........COBALT PADS!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by CP Thunder

and add........COBALT PADS!!!!
I run XR2's in the front and XR3's in the rear. They last me at least 2 times longer than any other pad I've run and I love the balance and progressive torque.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by geerookie
I run XR2's in the front and XR3's in the rear. They last me at least 2 times longer than any other pad I've run and I love the balance and progressive torque.

I don't want to overuse a word that is frequently overused.........but the word AWESOME describes the pad and rotor wear we have observed since we started using Cobalt Friction pads...........perfectly..........
Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
I don't want to overuse a word that is frequently overused.........but the word AWESOME describes the pad and rotor wear we have observed since we started using Cobalt Friction pads...........perfectly..........
What pads were you running before the Cobalts?? How do they compair to the DTC-70's?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the advice and info, you all cleared up my confusion.

Regarding Pads:
Currently I'm using the Carbotech XP10/8 combo. 4 track days on them. I like them but they do seem to be wearing fairly rapidly. They cost in the $350 range (front and rear).

The Cobalt Friction XR2/3 combo costs in the $500 dollar range. So...if they do last twice as long, it means dollar wise they are a better deal.

Are they streetable? (I don't care about dust or noise, only safety and durability) Their site indicates the operating range starts at 100 degrees.

Anyone else care to comment on their increased pad life?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
What pads were you running before the Cobalts?? How do they compair to the DTC-70's?
DTC70s front DTC60s rear........they destroy rotors pretty quickly (I think due to the high initial bite)

I have had the same pads and rotors on for two full race weekends and a full day of testing.........and am right at about 50% pad and the rotors look amazing...........seem to be easier to modulate also (watching our in car videos)......I know my driver loves them!!

She used to get out of the car after 2 sessions and tell me the pedal is getting long/soft.......since switching to the C6 caliper and Cobalts, she hasn't mentioned a soft or long pedal at all.......(we also use AP brake fluid)

I am officially a convert...........

BTW.........I have a new set of Hawk DTC-70s for sale.........$250 shipped...........

Last edited by CP Thunder; 06-04-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Regarding Pads:
Currently I'm using the Carbotech XP10/8 combo. 4 track days on them. I like them but they do seem to be wearing fairly rapidly. They cost in the $350 range (front and rear).

The Cobalt Friction XR2/3 combo costs in the $500 dollar range. So...if they do last twice as long, it means dollar wise they are a better deal.

Are they streetable? (I don't care about dust or noise, only safety and durability) Their site indicates the operating range starts at 100 degrees.

Anyone else care to comment on their increased pad life?

I will mention another thing about the Cobalts......the backing plate looks cool!!! The Hawk finish cooks and flakes right off or blisters up, the Cobalt plate doesn't have that problem. As for dust, it seems good and isn't that black stuff that sticks to everything. Its more silver and doesnt' seem to discolor our black centered CCWs. I haven't noticed any 'race brakes' squeal to them either...........

If I get the car out of the trailer to finish putting the rear SKF hubs on tonight, I will take some pics of the front brakes and post them in my albums......

Last edited by CP Thunder; 06-29-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

whats the part number for the cobalt pads you use?
is the installation of the steel pistons into the caliper a difficult job?
c5 rotors from napa are like $25 each. How much are the z51 c6 rotors for the generic cheapo versions? And how much are the 2 piece z51 rotors?
thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
whats the part number for the cobalt pads you use?
is the installation of the steel pistons into the caliper a difficult job?
c5 rotors from napa are like $25 each. How much are the z51 c6 rotors for the generic cheapo versions? And how much are the 2 piece z51 rotors?
thanks.
Part numbers are on the Cobalt website.....

We can't use alternate pistons.....but am sure installation is no more difficult than a normal rebuild (DON"T USE THE DUST BOOTS)

We can't use Z51 rotors as we run 17 inch rims by SCCA rules (the C6 boys can)

We can't use 2 piece rotors as we must use GM or alternate (ie 'cheap') autoparts store units........nothing fancy allowed in T1 when it comes to C5 brakes.......

Last edited by CP Thunder; 06-04-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:39 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have not tried Cobalt Friction brake pads yet, you need to. Unbelievable initial torque, easy to modulate, wear far superior to any comperable brake pad, and are not hard on the rotors.

We also have 2 piece rotors featuring Coleman Racing rings and we machine the aluminum hats ourselves. These rotors are 100% made in the USA and are built to stand up to the rigors of racing/tracking. We have them for the stock size, Z51, and Z06. We also have the rears available with or without the parking brake.

We have all corvette pads in stock, give us a call if you are interested or have any further questions.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
630-844-0089
Old 06-05-2009, 02:46 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Regarding Pads:
I drive them to and from the track. They are fine on the street and MUCH less noise and rotor wear than the Hawks. They work better than standard street pads and because they are easy to modulate I don't have any problems with lockup...even in the rain. One thing I will say is that the rears seem to wear quicker on the street than the track! It has been suggested that it is because they don't see any real temperature on the street.
Call Rob @ Performance AFX Motorsports, he's a great guy to talk to, knows Corvettes and keeps most pad compounds in stock.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:20 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Pics posted in my albums of the Cobalts after THREE race weekends consisting of practice days on Friday, qualifying and race sessions on Sat/Sun. This, along with a test day here at MAM and an autox day with two drivers (12 runs and 4 fun runs). The calipers have NOT been cleaned in any way and are exactly as they look after the above usage.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...er-albums.html

Old 06-17-2009, 07:45 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drivinhard
3 brakes versions, base, Z51, and Z06. base and Z51 use the same caliper (I think) but use different brackets. the Z51 allows for a larger ~13.4" front rotor. The Z06 uses a totally different 6 pot caliper and ~14" rotor.

You can run a C6 caliper on a C5 size rotor using the C5 brackets. I believe the base C6 rotor is same as the C5, Z51 as mentioned is ~13.4".

A 'po mans C5 kit would be a Z51 bracket, C6 caliper w/ SS pistons, your choice of track pads, and a nice coleman 2 pc rotor sold by one of the vendors on here. (or you could use the C5 brackets and still run a quality 2 pc rotor if you must fit in 17" wheels).

You will have to use the C6 spindles if you install C6 Z06 or any Aftermarket multi-piston calipers as they are a tad thicker and stiffer than the C5 spindles. The stiffer C6 spindle will quell any tapering issues you may be experience with the thinner C5 spindle.

This is what I have on both my C5 Z06s

Calipers – Front: J56 PBR Six Piston, Rear: PBR Four Piston
Caliper Pistons: Elite Engineering Stainless Steel Brake Caliper Pistons
Rotors – J56 14” Front Rotors, J56 – 13” Rear Rotors
C6 front knuckle R #88965638
C6 front knuckle L #88965637
Lines – Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake lines
SSR Comp H 18 x 10.5 Wheels
Tires: 295/35ZR18 Bridgestone Potenza S-02

The OEM C5 Z06 18 x 10.5 will clear the J56 (C6Z06) calipers and the Z51 caliper/front bracket/rotors will clear the OEM C5 Z06 17" wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Brakes on a C5 - Questions

Quick Reply: C6 Brakes on a C5 - Questions