Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross c4 tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross c4 tire ?

I'm thinking about using my C4 with a/t for our local autox instead of the CSP miata I usually drive. My wheel choices are 17" sawblades or 17"/18" C5 magnesium. Are used A6's available?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

What class do you plan on running in?

The C5 wheels would bump you out of stock.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 AM
worldsaway
Racer

It runs in street prepared, since I have a harness bar. I have let a friend run the car at our local event 3 or 4 times, it's just a postage stamp sized lot, so the C4 isn't that competitive. I'm just trying to keep up my seat time while I'm waiting for a banged-up hand to get better. I worry more about being competitive in my CSP car.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by worldsaway
It runs in street prepared, since I have a harness bar.
FWIW, a harness bar does not put you into SP:

Stock Catagory
13.2.I. Driver restraints as outlined in Section 3.3.1 are allowed. Seats
may not be cut to allow for the installation of alternate seat belts
or harnesses. Passive restraint systems may not be removed. A
horizontal “harness bar” may be used as part of the installation
hardware for allowed driver restraints. It may serve no other
purpose (e.g., structural enhancement).
Old 06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
eschantra
Pro

I'm thinking about using my C4 with a/t for our local autox instead of the CSP miata I usually drive. My wheel choices are 17" sawblades or 17"/18" C5 magnesium. Are used A6's available?
John Berget Racing Tires (jbracingtires.net) might be a good place to start, but 17" A6s seem to be hard to come by used. One of my buddies has been calling him regularly for months now with no luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 AM
worldsaway
Racer

My harness bar bolts in at the upper seat belt mounts. I understood it to providestructural rigidity to the chassis. I was told it bumped me out of stock. Is that incorrect?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

My harness bar bolts in at the upper seat belt mounts. I understood it to providestructural rigidity to the chassis. I was told it bumped me out of stock. Is that incorrect?
The determination will be made at tech inspection, but the only time I've seen a harness bar bump someone out of stock has been when it's clearly a welded-in rollbar-style hoop vs. a bolt-in harness bar.

IMHO I would have a hard time seeing a bolt in bar that does not connect to the frame as adding any real structural rigidity, although the vendor may claim it to some extent in their ads.

See if you can get one of your local tech inspectors' opinions before the event.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tech (At SCCA events) does not determine class "legality". If Tech is telling people what cars are legal or illegal, they are out of bounds.

Legality is the responsibility of the fellow competitors. If they don't protest, then it's not going to be an issue.

That said, unless the bar *also* bolts into the chassis somewhere and starts triangulating things, it's not adding any meaningful rigidity to the car.

Now, is there anything else you've done as well? The bar is legal, but if you've gone and cut the air lid you might draw paper...
Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 PM
pipeliner1
Instructor

Originally Posted by billla
The determination will be made at tech inspection, but the only time I've seen a harness bar bump someone out of stock has been when it's clearly a welded-in rollbar-style hoop vs. a bolt-in harness bar.

IMHO I would have a hard time seeing a bolt in bar that does not connect to the frame as adding any real structural rigidity, although the vendor may claim it to some extent in their ads.

See if you can get one of your local tech inspectors' opinions before the event.
Its always been half and half. Some people state the rules one way, and some the other way. Me, I like the Harness bar and it makes the car no faster, only safer.

My bar also attaches in the upper belt mounts.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The intent of the rule is to prevent someone from sneaking a chassis brace thru and calling it a harness bar. If it bolts to the belt bounts, and has the minimum necessary extra structure to prevent it from moving out of position, it should be easily defensible as a legit harness bar.

The upper belt mounts really aren't the issue... It's what else it attaches to. Thin gauge tabs that keep the bar from rotating (like the AS&M bar has, that use the targa mounts) aren't going to add any measurable stiffness. Something that has triangulated connections into the frame-rails on the other hand, might not stand up to protest so well
Old 06-10-2009, 11:23 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by TravisD
Tech (At SCCA events) does not determine class "legality". If Tech is telling people what cars are legal or illegal, they are out of bounds.
Agreed and I didn't mean for it to read that way - my suggestion was to talk to Tech:

Originally Posted by billla
3.3.3 Safety Inspections
The organizing Region may at its discretion provide an advisory
inspection for vehicle classification and legality, in connection with
technical inspection.

Last edited by billla; 06-10-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 AM
worldsaway
Racer

The only mods are Wheel/tire and as&m harness bar. I think I won't have to worry about protests until I actually start beating people, and unfortunately the vette is has a big disadvantage on the home course. We run on a tiny, postage-stamp sized lot, and ftd goes to miata or s2000
Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

The only mods are Wheel/tire

unfortunately the vette is has a big disadvantage on the home course. We run on a tiny, postage-stamp sized lot, and ftd goes to miata or s2000
Any wheel size changes or non-DOT tire will put you out of Stock.

I share your pain We had a gate at an SCCA event last year that literally you could not get a 'Vette through without almost stopping....but the little cars were zipping right through it
Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
spl642
Advanced

I run BSP. 11 inch wheels all around 315s in the front 335s in the back . . . ran Hoosier A6 the first year . . . but am currently on kummo's (a tad cheaper) but no change in times

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross c4 tire ?

Quick Reply: Autocross c4 tire ?