Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Sports or Bilsteins HD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Pfadt Sports or Bilsteins HD?

Just curious which is the best fit for me: '02 Z06, 40k mi, 460rwhp/442rwtq. Car is tracked about once a month at VIR, RA, Lowes. It is also a dd when it doesn't rain. Current suspension is all stock. I hear a lot of good things about the Bilsteins, but the adj for the Pfadts would be nice for dual purpose. There is a good deal on a set of used Pfadts in the for sale. Would I need to do sway bars also or could it be a step process. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

i was bilstein sports with the leaf spring. tight! but BAD BAD wheel hop. pulled them for a full pfadt set up. very happy! Its a bit bouncier, but no wheel hop and monster pushes in teh corners on the track!!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

By full set up do you mean shocks and swaybars or did you go coilovers? Just curious if it needs to be done as a package or as a step by step process. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenak
i was bilstein sports with the leaf spring. tight! but BAD BAD wheel hop. pulled them for a full pfadt set up. very happy! Its a bit bouncier, but no wheel hop and monster pushes in teh corners on the track!!
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Re the pushes, that doesn't sound like a recommendation for the shocks. Am not sure just what you mean by that statement. Can you clarify if this is a good or bad phrase?

I'm curious as I am also contemplating the Bilsteins

thanks

Last edited by Joy of 6; 06-10-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a difference in the Bilstein sports and HD. We have always pushed the Sports they are a bit firmer which is a good thing. With their working piston design and good well thought out valving, the adjustments aren't really needed.

Randy
Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
There is a difference in the Bilstein sports and HD. We have always pushed the Sports they are a bit firmer which is a good thing. With their working piston design and good well thought out valving, the adjustments aren't really needed.
I'm an adjust-a-holic, but when I started removing some big ticket items from my C6 to fund my RX7 race project Randy convinced me to try the DRM Bilstein (coilovers). I am completely impressed. Awesome street manners, grip, grip and more grip, and they just get better in the twisties -- I'm looking forward to getting on track with them (until the RX7 is ready)...

Outside of my Tahoe every shock upgrade I've done has been to adjustables outside of the DRM valved Bilsteins... I always thought adjusters would be better. Randy proved me wrong.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I am confused. I thought I read on the Bilstein page that the Sports were for the cars with the electronic suspension. Anyway, my thread comes down to one question:

For what I do, 1 track day per month, are the Pfadts overkill, or are they worth the extra $250 (used price). Or am I better off with bilstein HD or sports and spend the extra $250 for sways and bushings? That is probably what I need to know, especially before Pfadts get sold.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by waddisme
I am confused. I thought I read on the Bilstein page that the Sports were for the cars with the electronic suspension. Anyway, my thread comes down to one question:

For what I do, 1 track day per month, are the Pfadts overkill, or are they worth the extra $250 (used price). Or am I better off with bilstein HD or sports and spend the extra $250 for sways and bushings? That is probably what I need to know, especially before Pfadts get sold.

Thanks.
I am all for the "best on your budget" technique. There seems to be more favoring the Bilsteins so my vote would be even if they are not the best shock, they are still pretty darn good, and what you can afford, so I would get those and have more money to spend on other things that will help as well like you mentioned.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Get the Pfadt shocks. Once you put them on, you'll understand how important adjustable shocks are. What you don't need is double or triple adjustable shocks. One big **** and easy to adjust is why I bought the Pfadt shocks. I autocross twice a month. Here's a small video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cwgk86keYE

Steve
Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

OK - decided to go with the Pfadt Sports as they seem to be a good deal at $600. $250 more for adjustables seem like a good deal. I wasn't planning on doing suspension stuff until later, but seem like too good a deal to pass on. I will try to make do with them until I can match some sways and bushings.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

On any adjustable shock, you should ask for a dyno plot so that you know what the **** you are turning does. Does the adjuster affect bump, rebound, or a combination of both and how much is each click worth?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Get the Pfadt shocks. Once you put them on, you'll understand how important adjustable shocks are. What you don't need is double or triple adjustable shocks. One big **** and easy to adjust is why I bought the Pfadt shocks. I autocross twice a month. Here's a small video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cwgk86keYE

Steve
A had single adjustables, I'm going to doubles, it's the only way to get it setup right if you want to both drive your car on the track and the street.

Here's a good thread on it.
http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/36319...ad.aspx#363190
Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hang in there guys, we will have our own LG Single adjustable shock in a week or two. I have been testing them on my street car, and at the track, and I like them alot.

Pricing will be $1895. Red anodized Aluminum with spherical bearing front shocks top and bottom. >>>No rubber and no plastic rubbing blocks<<<<

The rear shocks have a spherical bearing mounted horizontal like our old Camaro World Challenge cars had (like a mustang strut/camber adjuster). ANd the typical fork mount at the lower shock point.

WHEN We build something WE BUILD THE BEST. We don't make compromises and we don't expect YOU to test the flaws in the product like some. AND now we are building the best product at the best price no question.

The front adjusters are on the shaft below the bearing and the rear adjuster is on the top of the shaft with an adjuster extension so you can pull your carpet back and give it a twist.

My personal testing has been very positive. I have not found a flaw yet. NO they are not a double or triple adjustable racing shock but they are gas filled and a really nice set up. WITH *****

The adjustment does both bump and rebound but it is a very linear adjustment.
We had them valved in the mid range of the Bilstein Coil overs that we have still available.

So hang on for a few days, and we can post up some photos for this new affordable and adjustable coil over package with more features than you would expect for this price level.

OH YEAH, I guarantee that I can run a better time in this stock Z with these shocks and only a set of headers on and some good tires compared to other shocks available.

Actually we are pretty proud of how this product has come out.

Thanks
Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 06-12-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM
LG Motorsports

Guys,

Here are the drawings of our new Adjustable Coil over shocks for just $1895 complete

Engineered in house by LG Motorsports, Track tested by Me. TO Find any better, you will have to spend twice the money.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti

The aluminum parts will be Anodized Red. Bearings top and bottom with forks on the lower rear.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 06-12-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great Lou! Great to have another option. How does the ride quality and performance compare to your non-adjustables?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
LG Motorsports

The ride quality is more tame because we can adjust it. I have been running it in the middle of the setting, with T1 bars and I have to say that it is pretty good.

I have not tried full soft yet but I think that would be more for the Drag strip.

I plan to adjust them and head back to the track and give a full stiff run this week. Should be interesting.

We are using a softer spring on this package and it seems to work well.

The quality of this package and the workmanship from the CNC company is really good. I like the red anodizing also.

We can offer other hypercoil rates as well as the standard rate that we have now.

Should be fun to hear the feedback from the forum members.

I only ordered 10 sets this time. So they won't last long. We should get all the parts back in a matter of days and when they are boxed up and ready to ship it should be about 10 days from now.

Thanks

LG
Old 06-12-2009, 05:39 PM
David Borden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Lou, will you offer a non coil over setup that is SCCA SS legal?

David

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Sports or Bilsteins HD?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Are the rear shocks going to clear the tie rods? C5.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Are the rear shocks going to clear the tie rods? C5.
They are on my car right now with no problem.

We have been building Coil over's for the Corvette for about 10 years since our first 1998 Corvette Box car World Challenge car that we built and we have been aware of the tie rod issue from our fist attempt.

So that has been taken into account and there is no issue.

we have a reduced diameter spring and body that had to be built to accomodate the tie rod.

Our bilstein shocks are even a little fatter and they miss.

Hope that helps.

Lou Gigliotti
Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 PM
dcvee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whooa...they look nice. I just put a set of LG Bilsteins/CO's on my buds 99FRC. Nice pieces guys...very nice

Don

Quick Reply: Pfadt Sports or Bilsteins HD?