Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad for DD & auto-x?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
RyanR0101
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Brake pad for DD & auto-x?

My car is completely stock, with the GM standard semi metallic pads. It's my daily driver, and I do autocross for fun. New pads will be needed shortly. I've read up, and I'm thinking of either Hawk HPS, GM Ceramic, or staying with what I have. I don't want a "full race" pad that will dust like nuts, but I don't want considerably less performance that what I have (which I deem to be just fine). Suggestions? I'm particularly interested in whether the GM ceramics do ok or if their performance is a lot worse than the semi metallic. Also curious if they tear up rotors, as my rotors have no warpage from the current OEM pads.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Hawk HP+s and have had really good luck with them. they dust a bit more when your autoxing or at the track but for the street driving i have done they seem to be just fine and have giving great stopping power all around. on track they fade out quicker but for autox and street they have been simply awesome.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

with above ... went from stock to HP+ and had same experience.
Stay away from ceramics.
Also consider Carbotech AX6 - autocross-profiled and work on the street.
Dust as the Hawks do, but the dust is less corrosive - you can drive'm dusty in the wet. ...
Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Hawk HP+ pad is great for autocross and the occasional track day, but they do generate a lot of dust when used hard. And with this pad, if you get the dust wet and don't immediately clean the wheel, it can harden and be very difficult to get off the wheel surface.

They need a bit of heat in them to work so when you start out first thing in the morning, you may not have as much grab as after a few miles. HP+ pads will also squeal when cold or if the pad becomes glazed.

The Hawk HPS pad may be a better choice as they have excellent cold bite, don't generate a lot of dust, and will stop the car quickly and easily for autocross. These would be a step above stock C5 pads.

Another good choice would be C5 Z06 pads. They are about the same as the HPS pad.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

I use Carbotech. They have brutal stopping power, lots of dust and they squeak like a mother. I don't recommend them for dual street/track use. My car is 95% an autocross car.

I have to turn the radio up when I drive it on the street.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ryan,
I would go with the Z06 pads. They work really nice for autox. Thats what I run.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Hey Ryan,
I would go with the Z06 pads. They work really nice for autox. Thats what I run.
The Z06 pads will work just fine for double duty.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Ok I'll share...
I just installed a set of PFC (Performance Friction) "Z" conpound pads and could not be happier. I spoke to many experts as I'm a rookie and since I'm running stock Z06 rubber and simply wanted a "little" better than stock Z06 pads they recommended the PFC "Z" pad or the HPS + pads. I chose the PFC's as to many posts that I searched here on the forum said negative things about the noise and dusting from the HPS pads.
I ran a HPDE along with another driver in my car for a total of 5-6 sessions with some very hard driving and never had any fade and I was thrilled that I found zero noise and less dust than stock Z06 pads.
That's my 2 cents! Hope it helps...
Ms Eliz
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by RyanR0101
My car is completely stock, with the GM standard semi metallic pads. It's my daily driver, and I do autocross for fun. New pads will be needed shortly. I've read up, and I'm thinking of either Hawk HPS, GM Ceramic, or staying with what I have. I don't want a "full race" pad that will dust like nuts, but I don't want considerably less performance that what I have (which I deem to be just fine). Suggestions? I'm particularly interested in whether the GM ceramics do ok or if their performance is a lot worse than the semi metallic. Also curious if they tear up rotors, as my rotors have no warpage from the current OEM pads.
How many events do you do a year?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 AM
RyanR0101
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
How many events do you do a year?
I'd say probably about 2 per month between mid April and October, depending on scheduling, so around 10 or so per year maybe.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I really liked Hawk HP+ when I had a dual purpose street/autox car.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:07 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had experience with three different pads for autox/street driving.

Hawk HP+, Stock OEM, PFC-Z rated.

l<--More-Grip-----Less-Dust---->l

Pick your poison.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I've been running the PFZrated, but I'm thinking I should upgrade to the Hawks.

The stock pads a C4 are bricks!

How's the rotor wear with the Hawks?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
vetteracer92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my hp+, been using them for almost a year, stock rotors are just fine with little wear. That's with a PCA drivers education. They seem to dust the wheels a bit with some noise.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by RyanR0101
I'd say probably about 2 per month between mid April and October, depending on scheduling, so around 10 or so per year maybe.
I would use our bobcat 1521 this pad will take care of your dd and track time.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pad for DD & auto-x?

Quick Reply: Brake pad for DD & auto-x?