Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 AM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Warped Rotors

Hey guys,

After my last track event I have noticed a vibration when braking. I wouldn't call it severe but definitely felt through the brake pedal. I actually first noticed this on my last session at the event. I was running at Buttonwillow in So cal, which is hard on brakes. My first thought was that I have warped my rotors.

I checked them for runout tonight and found the drivers right rotor to have about 0.005" runout and the passenger side about 0.003 to 0.004". I thought I might see more than this, what is considered normal or acceptable?

I should note that I change my pads when I go to the track and change them back to street pads. The rotors I leave on the car. The rotors are DBA4000 and used on a C6Z06. Only my second event with these rotors. Never had a problem with my stock ones, go figure. I run Hoosier R6 tires so the brakes are worked pretty hard.

Is it OK to turn these rotors to take out the taper? I know removing metal is not ideal buy all I need to do is remove 0.006" or so per side.

Thoughts?
Old 06-13-2009, 02:09 AM
gintama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know, no one will turn slotted rotors. Are you sure they are not cracked? I have turned solids in the past.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:43 AM
dcvee
Instructor

Rotors seldom warp. The pulsing you are feeling is from various pad compounds that are embedded into your rotor. Yes, you can turn them...it will remove the pad deposits. But, based on rotor composition, you may see the same issue in the near future.

What street/track pads to you run? They don't seem to be compatible.

Don
Old 06-13-2009, 07:15 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dcvee
Rotors seldom warp. The pulsing you are feeling is from various pad compounds that are embedded into your rotor. Yes, you can turn them...it will remove the pad deposits. But, based on rotor composition, you may see the same issue in the near future.

What street/track pads to you run? They don't seem to be compatible.

Don

I'll bet you the track pads he's using are from Carbotech. Switch to something else and the deposit problem will be minimized.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-13-2009, 07:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You more than likely have compound build up. Take a 40-grit sander to them and see what happens. Clean them with brake clean until your paper towel doesn't pick up any black.

Richard
Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 AM
MadMaxZ06
Racer

Just to support what everyone else is already saying: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
- Max
Old 06-13-2009, 10:36 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you switch to an extremely aggressive pad like the Hawk DTC-70 it should clean that section off and remove the brake judder.

MIke
Old 06-13-2009, 10:45 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

if they are indeed warped, there is a good chance there was debris on the flange when the rotors were mounted, and they were forced out of round by this.

Either way, as long as it isn't so sever that it causes the pads to "knock back" into the calipers, I'd just keep trucking!
Old 06-13-2009, 01:13 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj

I'll bet you the track pads he's using are from Carbotech. Switch to something else and the deposit problem will be minimized.

Frank Gonzalez
You are right, Carbotech XP12 pads. I switch between those and street pads. There were no signs of the pulsation after my first event, but I used the brakes a lot harder this time.

Again, does anyone know what is considered abnormal runout for a rotor? I posted what I am measuring above.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:15 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
if they are indeed warped, there is a good chance there was debris on the flange when the rotors were mounted, and they were forced out of round by this.

Either way, as long as it isn't so sever that it causes the pads to "knock back" into the calipers, I'd just keep trucking!

I mounted the rotors when they were brand new and I have not taken them on and off since.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:16 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gintama
As far as I know, no one will turn slotted rotors. Are you sure they are not cracked? I have turned solids in the past.
Lucky for me I work for a company that makes machine tools and have a couple of machinists that work for me so this will not be a problem if I choose to turn them.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LRO tolerance is .002 on a C5 Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To Warped Rotors

Quick Reply: Warped Rotors