Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CMP with Turn One Jul 11-12 whose going?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP with Turn One Jul 11-12 whose going?

This obsession is taking me to harder tracks and further away from home. This track looks awesome. I could not convince my local buddy to do this one so it would be just me and my new found geek trailer with tires in tow . I used the trailer last week to get to Road Atlanta and to be honest, the drive up worried me more than the track time. Plus I cracked a rotor on the last lap and drove home (1 hour ) using only gear compression and my ebrake. Everytime I hit the real brakes, the thump was real scary. So now I'm thinking about taking a 4 hour journey all by myself to run with a club I've never been with. A bit uneasy about that. I picked up a extra set of front rotors when I order my replacement and I think I could handle that at the track if need be.

When I craked the rotor at NASA everyone was just looking at me like "what ya gonna do". Now I had my Chin experience to reflect back on. I watched Khoi crack and replace his rotor in between sessions and I asked him about it. He said ya, you can run on them cracked until the thump gets too bad. I also talked to a few others about their setups and lots of people had spare rotors with them. I'm pretty sure it that had been a Chin event, one of the guys would have walked up with a rotor and said, "lets put it on" . I trusted Khoi's assessment, and drove that sucker home.

A 4 hour drive is a little different though. Just looking for a little confidence push to make the journey.

Also wondering about the format. NASA didn't really give enough seat time to make a longer journey. Somewhere between NASA and Chin seattime would suffice.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

No interest? Guess I'll just pass on this one. Looks like a neat track though.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
97tdawg
Navigator

CMP is a blast. I did a NASA event a couple months ago and loved it. Pretty challenging track, lots of turns, pretty hard on tires and brakes.

Ive never run with Turn One but there supposed to be very good and fun.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

CMP is a lot of fun. The repercussions for bad decisions are generally less severe there than at RA (unless you are Kim and you slide 3miles to find the one tire wall in the middle of an open field and hit it)

I've limped home on a cracked rotor before, pulling a tire trailer. Not fun. Bring spares. Never go on track with a known cracked rotor. Holler anytime and I'll show you how to swap rotors right quick. I've had a lot of practice. All it takes is a 21mm socket/ratchet, BFH, and a tube of loctite. You'll want to bring all that with you anytime you go to the track.

Turn-one is good people, CMP is a fun track. Go.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason
CMP is a lot of fun. The repercussions for bad decisions are generally less severe there than at RA (unless you are Kim and you slide 3miles to find the one tire wall in the middle of an open field and hit it)

I've limped home on a cracked rotor before, pulling a tire trailer. Not fun. Bring spares. Never go on track with a known cracked rotor. Holler anytime and I'll show you how to swap rotors right quick. I've had a lot of practice. All it takes is a 21mm socket/ratchet, BFH, and a tube of loctite. You'll want to bring all that with you anytime you go to the track.

Turn-one is good people, CMP is a fun track. Go.
Ditto..
Old 06-18-2009, 06:09 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

So Jason, Khoi, and Englands going to CMP?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
So Jason, Khoi, and Englands going to CMP?
I'll be at CMP (someday again) but don't know when I'll be ready for action yet.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Are you still engineless? I've heard a lot about that.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Are you still engineless? I've heard a lot about that.
Nahh...that engine is fine. Had a bit of an overhaul on the ticker....went too long not taking care of myself properly. So now I'm benched for couple months...
Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. Take care of youself. Sounds like a good excuse to shed a few ( I'm always working on that too ) and finding a safe way to build up that ticker stamina. You're gonna have to man, you drive like such a mad man.

Hope to see you maybe at Roebling in Nov. Take Care.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'm transmissionless right now. Jammed in 4th last Sunday.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I keep drilled/slotted rotors for daily driving and switch to stock rotors before every track day. I also take spares with me to the track. I scour the the 4sales section and buy peoples used stock rotors when they go to d/s. I have 3 spare sets of fronts and 2 sets of rears. After shipping, you can get them for like $60 a pair. I have only cracked 1 rotor so far and it was just one crack and I drove home OK. Surprised you couldn't round up a repl at the track.

I have never done CMP, but probably will later this fall. It is only like 2 1/2 hrs from me. Turn One does track days like 2 times a month. Good luck there.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have never done CMP, but probably will later this fall. It is only like 2 1/2 hrs from me. Turn One does track days like 2 times a month. Good luck there.
NASA goes back there in the fall.

Last month was my first time there, I liked the track better than I thought I would.

I've never really met a track I didn't like though...
Old 06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Default CMP with Turn One next month.

Thanks for the encouragement. I may just venture out to this one all by myself.

I've started a bunch of mods and am going to wait to see how they turn out before I decide. The most important is my tune which I'm pretty much doing with the help of the EFILIve guys and a local buddy Dave from Loganville. My car was running richer than commanded and had some knock. I logged a full 30 minute session using the new Black Box logging feature. Ran all the wires thru the console and dash into my glove box. Had my LM1 and Flashscan tucked away safely in there logging away .

Got the rotors going on, order some Bilsteins as my shocks were original with 80k on them. Oh, I found this pair of LG Gstop Wilwood 6 piston SL6 kit for a really good deal on took the plunge for a big brake kit. Since I cracked a rotor, putting on a DRM brake duct kit too. Somebody stop me

Next weeked I'll know where I stand. If I get the tune responding well, I think I'll try it. Confidence isn't real high though. I'm pretty new at it and no reliable tuners in the local area.
Attached Images    

Last edited by kwhiteside; 06-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinhard
NASA goes back there in the fall.

Last month was my first time there, I liked the track better than I thought I would.

I've never really met a track I didn't like though...
I have. Rockingham. Maybe blowing a motor there didn't help with the fond memories...
Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
I have.
Me too. The Lowes roval.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Me too. The Lowes roval.
I liked it, as a matter of fact I am going back next week. I like the banked turns and ripping thru the tri-oval. Technically, it is not VIR or RA, but it is still fun.

Get notified of new replies

To CMP with Turn One Jul 11-12 whose going?

Quick Reply: CMP with Turn One Jul 11-12 whose going?