Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Handling?

I had a very unusual experience last weekend at an Auto-x. I ran a friend's NSX and I went into a sweeper pretty hot. The backend broke and I let off the gas and the backend jumped back into line! I need no countersteer like my C5Z. In fact my C5Z wold have continued to tankslap with be trying to keep up with steering and maybe I save it and maybe not. for sure that would have cost me time. His car jumped back in line as if I was a good driver and cost me almost no time. So the question is what causes a car to jump back in line like that? I would expect a midengine tail heavy car to be a significant tankslaper (I raced a midengine Ferrari for a while). Is this jumping back in line a charactor of heavily biased differentials like spools or 80% lock LSD vs. the typical approx 60% streetcar lock in our LSD's?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I had a very unusual experience last weekend at an Auto-x. I ran a friend's NSX and I went into a sweeper pretty hot. The backend broke and I let off the gas and the backend jumped back into line! I need no countersteer like my C5Z. In fact my C5Z wold have continued to tankslap with be trying to keep up with steering and maybe I save it and maybe not. for sure that would have cost me time. His car jumped back in line as if I was a good driver and cost me almost no time. So the question is what causes a car to jump back in line like that? I would expect a midengine tail heavy car to be a significant tankslaper (I raced a midengine Ferrari for a while). Is this jumping back in line a charactor of heavily biased differentials like spools or 80% lock LSD vs. the typical approx 60% streetcar lock in our LSD's?
I don't know, my C6 pretty much behaves just like that. If I overcook a corner and get loose I can generally "ease" off throttle just a bit and it will get back inline.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of my experience is autox with a little hpde thrown in, and the cars I drive would probably have not pulled that out for ya. On the miata I run in CSP I normally run with the sway bar connected, and with that setup you'd have lost it. On the other hand I disconnect for bigger/faster courses, and setup like that you might save it. I guess what I'm trying to say is with swaybar it's tight and predictable, without it's loose and more forgiving. I'd like to know why your ride was so forgiving.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Chalk it up to experience. After you've done this for a while, things become instinctive - you just know how to react...and stay calm.

I'd bet that you eased off the gas and didn't jump off it...
I'd bet that you may have actually been countersteering even before it broke completely...
And, the NSX is a completely different car with much different characteristics than the Vette. I love them and they are very forgiving. You have to do something really nuts to loop one. All they lack is some power and they'd be a first rate T1 car. They are extremely light so they don't have that mass that can cause those tank-slappers either.

I'm also assuming you didn't have any of the "nanny modes" on either.

Nice Job.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

You must not live up to your screename if you can fit in an NSX. I'm 6'4" and it's an utter joke They're such awesome cars and I have a few friends that have them, but I can't even drive them down the street.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Chalk it up to experience. After you've done this for a while, things become instinctive - you just know how to react...and stay calm.

I'd bet that you eased off the gas and didn't jump off it...
I'd bet that you may have actually been countersteering even before it broke completely...
And, the NSX is a completely different car with much different characteristics than the Vette. I love them and they are very forgiving. You have to do something really nuts to loop one. All they lack is some power and they'd be a first rate T1 car. They are extremely light so they don't have that mass that can cause those tank-slappers either.

I'm also assuming you didn't have any of the "nanny modes" on either.

Nice Job.
Gee...Thanks for the compliment. I hope one day to live up to such praise. If you and I are ever on track you'll know the real story. I'll be the one pointing you by. But...I keep trying and that is what makes the sport so fun!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:24 PM
BATMANs
Advanced

Was the NSX traction control on or off?

NSX is the most forgiving rear-mid engine car that i am aware of.

the TCS has saved my *** a few times at and near the limits.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BATMANs
Was the NSX traction control on or off?

NSX is the most forgiving rear-mid engine car that i am aware of.

the TCS has saved my *** a few times at and near the limits.
Yes no TC. This car has 380rwhp and an OS geiken LSD with a higher lock that street. It makes all kinds of noise just driving it around in the paddock. I was wondering if this was a charactor of more lock in the LSD. I just kinda figured all mid/rear engine cars to be tail happy as has been by Pbug and ferrari experience. Never drove a stock NSX before.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

I have no explanation. I haven't autoxed my Vette yet but have been autoxing other vehicles for about 6 years. Typically lifting mid corner would cause more oversteer or a spin if you don't have any counter steer fed into the car. I would have to agree with a few posts above that says you probably applied some opposite lock or followed some other instinct and didn't even realize it.

Get notified of new replies

To Handling?

Quick Reply: Handling?