Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Sport Shock Optional Upper Mounts Now Available!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor
Default Pfadt Spherical Delrin Pin Top Shock Mounts Now Available!!!

NEW RELEASE!

With almost a year's worth of development time invested in these mounts, you'll see the advantages immediately! The new Pfadt mounting system uses aluminum and delrin to create a split spherical bearing, unlike any other solution available. All Corvette dampers on the market use either a polyurethane or clevis mount. While both styles are functional, they leave a lot to be desired in terms of durability, weight savings, packaging, and range of movement. Our new mount is the result of taking the time to engineer a better solution for the Corvette from a blank sheet of paper.

One of the coolest features of our new mount is that it removes several inches of wasted space in comparison to a clevis style mount. This allows maximum ride height flexibility and shock travel in the tight packaging space of a Corvette. Our mount does not consume valuable shock length and travel like a clevis style mount.

Weight

Our mount is 43% lighter than an aluminum clevis style mount. Our mount is ultra light weight because it does not need heavy steel bolts or a spherical bearing. We take advantage of the upper shock perch as the bearing half for our large Delrin ball. The entire mount is a Delrin bearing which allows free articulation and has extremely low friction.

Noise

The hard anodized aluminum and Delrin combination allows quiet operation and no noise. Our new mount retains a Delrin barrier between the shock and frame to reduce noise transmission from the road unlike a steel clevis which will transfer road noise into the car.

This upper mounting system is available for a variety of Pin Top Shock applications including Bilstein and Koni Shocks. Here is some fitment information that you can use to determine if these will work with your Pin Top Shocks:

Upper Pin (Stud) Length Minimum: 2.25"
Upper Pin (Stud) Diameter: .450" or smaller

The set of four is available for $250.

Please feel free to call or email us if you have any questions. We appreciate everyone's support on the Corvette Forum and have a great day!

Kind regards,

Last edited by jordan@pfadtracing; 07-09-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys just never stop, looking good!

Aaron
Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by rasrboy
You guys just never stop, looking good!

Aaron
Thanks Aaron!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any pics of the mounts on the car with a shock? It puts the function in better context.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Jordan, are these the new version you have been talking about?

Last edited by Z06Fix; 07-08-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by astock165
Do you have any pics of the mounts on the car with a shock? It puts the function in better context.
If you look at the below picture imagine the frame between the 2 white Delrin pieces; basically where the 2 male ends meet. Those pieces sandwich the upper frame mount and the opposing sides of the Delrin Ball move in the black cups.

Please feel free to call or email us with any questions.

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Jordan, are these the new version you have been talking about?
Hi Eric!

These are the optional upper mounts we've been working on for some time. I believe you're referring to the updated poly mounts that will be standard equipment on the Sport Shocks. The largest difference between the current standard mount and the new mount is going to be the Sleeve we'll use in the center to control crush. I'll send you some as soon as we get them!

You could get these mounts however and have a better set-up! Give me a call if you're interested, we can work something out!

Last edited by jordan@pfadtracing; 07-08-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Is there any upgrade program for those of us who bought the first generation of Pfadt shocks, and are happy with them, but still would be looking for an extra bit of improvement?

Might be something to consider, customer loyalty/rewards/etc.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

In the image below do I have the components labeled correctly? I see where the frame goes between the two delrin parts. In order for the shock to rotate in the direction shown (in red), the material on the upper half would have to be compliant wouldn't it? Like rubber or urethane, etc.?

How much does that compliance resist rotation of the shock? Does it provide a benefit over something that rotates freely, like a spherical shape on both halves?

I am looking to upgrade my shocks and want to understand the differences between all the pin top mounts out there. It can be quite confusing. TIA.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Default Pin Top Spherical Shock Mounts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Is there any upgrade program for those of us who bought the first generation of Pfadt shocks, and are happy with them, but still would be looking for an extra bit of improvement?

Might be something to consider, customer loyalty/rewards/etc.
Give us a call!

In the image below do I have the components labeled correctly? I see where the frame goes between the two delrin parts. In order for the shock to rotate in the direction shown (in red), the material on the upper half would have to be compliant wouldn't it? Like rubber or urethane, etc.?

How much does that compliance resist rotation of the shock? Does it provide a benefit over something that rotates freely, like a spherical shape on both halves?

I am looking to upgrade my shocks and want to understand the differences between all the pin top mounts out there. It can be quite confusing. TIA.
Both Delrin parts are spherical shaped. The delrin moves in the upper and lower aluminum mounts; it is a split bearing essentially. Delrin has great abrasion properties and in a lot of case provides less friction than a metal bearing. The urethane is simply there to provide a small amount of pre-load in the assembly. Our system also uses an Inner sleeve to allow for the proper torque to be applied to the mount; without it you could conceivably over tighten it and create more friction.

These mounts will work on just about any Pin Top shock. Please feel free to call or email us with any questions.

Kind regards,
Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the section view, that really helped. Are the pictures of the same parts that are shown in the solid model? They look different.

One other question now that I see the cross section: what happens if the frame flange thickness is different than the space that the delrin halves allow for? It the flange is thicker it would be easy enough to put a washer or shim in place, but if it's thicker there will be a gap that would reduce the included angle of rotation, right?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:35 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

I'm curious to know how much more space is used between the top of the shock and mounting flange compared to using bushings? I ask this because any space used there reduces the amount of shaft travel you have before hitting the rubber bumps.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
I'm curious to know how much more space is used between the top of the shock and mounting flange compared to using bushings? I ask this because any space used there reduces the amount of shaft travel you have before hitting the rubber bumps.
Good point.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Originally Posted by froggy47
Good point.

The urethane bushings that come standard with our Sport Shocks are basically the same height as the Delrin Split Spherical mount. The advantage of this mount over the poly is the range of motion along with the reduced side loads on the shock shaft. Delrin is also a harder material and it won't deflect thus allowing the damping to do it's job.

The space savings comes when you compare the wasted space that a clevis style mount creates. Below is a picture showing the difference.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,
Old 07-09-2009, 06:28 PM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks for the section view, that really helped. Are the pictures of the same parts that are shown in the solid model? They look different.

One other question now that I see the cross section: what happens if the frame flange thickness is different than the space that the delrin halves allow for? It the flange is thicker it would be easy enough to put a washer or shim in place, but if it's thicker there will be a gap that would reduce the included angle of rotation, right?
This is a great question!!! The frame flange thickness is critical. Our system is supplied with 2 sets of Delrin spherical bearings (thicker delrin for thin frame and thinner delrin for thick frame) because there are differences in thickness. Think of it as a split ball; if you move one half further away it is going to be much more difficult for it to articulate and frankly it isn't going to work efficiently. These mounts were engineered and designed to work on C5 and C6 Corvettes only. They are universal so far as other shocks go but the vehicle application is specific.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!!

Kind regards,
Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

will they work with bilstein sports?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:49 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jordan@pfadtracing
These mounts were engineered and designed to work on C5 and C6 Corvettes only. They are universal so far as other shocks go but the vehicle application is specific.
Ahh, understood. Thanks a ton for all the info.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Penske?

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Sport Shock Optional Upper Mounts Now Available!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:49 PM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by mark b
will they work with bilstein sports?
Our mounts will work with Bilstein Sports as well as the HD. I'm working on a post now that shows the mounts installed on various shocks including the Bilstein Sports.

Ahh, understood. Thanks a ton for all the info.
No problem!!! Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Penske?
These mounts will work with Penske Pin Tops!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:10 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

These mounts will work with Penske Pin Tops!
Upper Pin (Stud) Length Minimum: 2.25"
Upper Pin (Stud) Diameter: .450" or smaller
Looks a little tight to me...

Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Looks a little tight to me...

Brian,

The 2.25" measurement we give includes the nut. Our Delrin Split Spherical mounts were designed to work with most pin tops including Penske's.

Kind regards,

Quick Reply: Pfadt Sport Shock Optional Upper Mounts Now Available!!!