Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elkhart Lake fatality

Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Elkhart Lake fatality

Race car driver dies at Wisconsin event
Former champion Thrash lost control of Mazda at SCCA race

ELKHART LAKE, Wisconsin - A 48-year-old driver died Saturday after a single-car accident at a race in southeastern Wisconsin.

Thomas Thrash Jr., of Houston, was pronounced dead Saturday morning at a Sheboygan, Wis., hospital, the Sports Car Club of America said. He was participating in the SCCA-sanctioned Chicago Region June Sprints event at Road America.

Witnesses reported that he lost control of his E Production class Mazda RX-7, with the car entering the gravel trap and ending up against the tire wall.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Old 06-20-2009, 07:52 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Sad
Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the SCCA website:

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (June 20, 2009) – Thomas Thrash Jr., age 48, of Houston, Texas, was pronounced dead late Saturday morning at St. Nicholas Hospital (Sheboygan, Wis.). Thrash was involved in a single-car incident Saturday at Road America during the Sports Car Club of America-sanctioned Chicago Region June Sprints event. The cause of death is under investigation.

Witnesses reported that Thrash lost control of his E Production class Mazda RX-7 before Turn Eight, with the car entering the gravel trap and coming to rest against the tire wall.

A 12-year veteran driver in SCCA competition, Thrash was the 2007 SCCA National Champion in E Production and a two-time Runoffs polesitter. Thrash had qualified his car on the pole position for Saturday afternoon’s race before the incident.

“We are deeply saddened to have lost Tom Thrash, a great champion and individual that epitomized the spirit and competition of SCCA racing, and most importantly, a member of our SCCA family,” SCCA President and CEO Jeff Dahnert said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.”

More information will be released as it becomes available.
Godspeed Thomas Thrash Jr.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Thomas and his family.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

God bless him and his family. I am Very sorry to hear this. I would eventually like to hear some specific "lessons learned" so that this tragedy need not be in vain. Please accept our condolences.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Its always terrible when something like this happens. Best wishes to his family.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I'm so truly sorry to hear of this terrible accident...
our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends
Old 06-20-2009, 09:34 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lord, I pray as I race today,
Keep me safe along the way.
Not only me, but the others too,
As they perform the jobs they do.

I know God, that in every race,
I, the driver must set the pace.
Let not my desire for more speed,
Warp my judgement and turn
into greed.

From green to checkered, guide me
through.

Giving me strength to know what
to do.
Remind me often in the race of life,
How to cope with all the strife.

Help me accept the wins I may
receive,
And all the defeats, most graciously.
Ride with me, don't allow me to lag,
Guide me all the way to the
checkered flag.

AMEN!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Tom Thrash was a member of our sports car club when he was at A&M. Hits close to home and keeps this sport in perspective of how dangerous it can be no matter how close attention you pay to safety. God bless.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:31 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Godspeed
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

This was one of the topics of discussion on my way home from Road America. My crew chief is very connected in the production ranks, so he knew Tom fairly well.

Me? I don't think I had met him before. Nevertheless, he was a racing brother and this hits hard, real hard.

There is talk that this may not have been a racing incident, meaning health issue before the crash.

Regardless, it makes us (or should) focus on what is important: safety, our health, family, friends. Some of you have been on-track with me, and if so you may have noticed a ritual I go through before each session, especially the races: I go a great each person on the grid. Sounds goofy, and I bet some people roll their eyes at me (who the heck is he trying to be? The mayor of falsegridville?)

I do this because #1. I am happy as hell to be there and ever more happy to be among people I like; #2. I am living the life I choose and am grateful to be able to do so; and #3. we don't know when something like this will happen to one of us. I'd feel damn bad if I didn't say hello to someone I am close with and then didn't get to see them again, ever. Our relationships are our most valuable possession, so I try to enjoy them as much as possible.

The reason I am pontificating a bit is that I was told that another SCCA production racer had a epiphany after experiecing a severe incident at Mid Ohio last year. This caused him to change his entire life for the better, because he realized that it could be all over in a moment.

Well, why the heck do we need to have something like that happen to us to make those changes in our lives? Do so BEFORE something happens. Choose the life you want, and live the life you choose.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Well said David.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Gramps
Burning Brakes

God bless him, his family, and his racing family.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...20/466579.html
Old 06-21-2009, 11:47 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
This was one of the topics of discussion on my way home from Road America. My crew chief is very connected in the production ranks, so he knew Tom fairly well.

Me? I don't think I had met him before. Nevertheless, he was a racing brother and this hits hard, real hard.

There is talk that this may not have been a racing incident, meaning health issue before the crash.

Regardless, it makes us (or should) focus on what is important: safety, our health, family, friends. Some of you have been on-track with me, and if so you may have noticed a ritual I go through before each session, especially the races: I go a great each person on the grid. Sounds goofy, and I bet some people roll their eyes at me (who the heck is he trying to be? The mayor of falsegridville?)

I do this because #1. I am happy as hell to be there and ever more happy to be among people I like; #2. I am living the life I choose and am grateful to be able to do so; and #3. we don't know when something like this will happen to one of us. I'd feel damn bad if I didn't say hello to someone I am close with and then didn't get to see them again, ever. Our relationships are our most valuable possession, so I try to enjoy them as much as possible.

The reason I am pontificating a bit is that I was told that another SCCA production racer had a epiphany after experiecing a severe incident at Mid Ohio last year. This caused him to change his entire life for the better, because he realized that it could be all over in a moment.

Well, why the heck do we need to have something like that happen to us to make those changes in our lives? Do so BEFORE something happens. Choose the life you want, and live the life you choose.
Some words of wisdom for sure

Get notified of new replies

To Elkhart Lake fatality

Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06

I agree. Thanks David
Old 06-21-2009, 04:35 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thoughts and prayers to his family!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elkhart Lake fatality