Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's Racing?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM
9707vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who's Racing?

I've been doing the HPDE thing for a while and need more. I'm a PCA member and they have a great club racing program. I purchased a C5 last year to build as a race car. After putting coil overs on the car I realized that I've got to be careful what mods are done. SCCA T1 seams like a good place to start but I've heard they tend to have excessive contact. Any suggestions on good competitive organizations in the northeast and best classes to race in? SCCA T1, NASA, EMRA, or should I build a 996?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to CF.

So where do you live? we will get you hooked right up
Old 06-23-2009, 09:48 PM
9707vette
Advanced

NJ, we've got 2 great new tracks in the back yard. NJMP Thunderbolt and Lightning. Pocono is 1 1/2 hrs, and the glen is about 4 1/2. I'm ready to go now! WANT TO GET A RACING LICENSE, whats the best route? the c5 has an SCCA approved cage, just need the final inspection and book.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 9707vette
NJ, we've got 2 great new tracks in the back yard. NJMP Thunderbolt and Lightning. Pocono is 1 1/2 hrs, and the glen is about 4 1/2. I'm ready to go now! WANT TO GET A RACING LICENSE, whats the best route? the c5 has an SCCA approved cage, just need the final inspection and book.
Show up to a comp school or a privite racing school for a couple days. Either one if passed will get you on the way to a license. Then join either Nasa or Scca and they will send out someone to tech the car. This is best done before the event date. A trailer tire blowout could cost you getting teched at the first event. Plan a trip to your first event, get some sleep, drink some water and have fun. Follow the fast guys and make sure you ask questions!!!
Make sure you have some extra help at the track for the first event.

This is my plan in getting my License.

Randy
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Look up NASA St-2....

its all power to weight and you can do anything to the car as long as you stay within the 8.7lbs/hp. Its a great class, and there are a lot of people out here that run it.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:10 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

In this economy you should just purchase a used race car. You can buy used race cars for $0.50 on the dollar. Why spend all the time and money to build one? Plus, it will be easy to know what class the car is in. The decal will be on the side of the car. Duhhhh.

Richard Newton
Corvette Race Cars 360
Old 06-24-2009, 04:36 PM
9707vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Look up NASA St-2....

its all power to weight and you can do anything to the car as long as you stay within the 8.7lbs/hp. Its a great class, and there are a lot of people out here that run it.
SCCA T1 does not allow coilovers,powertrain or brake mods (pads are free). I thought ST-2 was the equivalent group in NASA. Also dont want to be in a class the car cant compete in. looking for a group that doesnt require an enormous budget to be competitive. I'll look at the NASA GCR's. Do you race ST-2 in the northeast? Is it a competitive field? What's the schedule like and venues?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

NASA NE http://www.nasanortheast.org/

NASA Mid West and Great Lakes http://www.nasamidwest.com/

NASA Mid Atlantic http://www.nasaracing.net/index.html
Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9707vette
SCCA T1 does not allow coilovers,powertrain or brake mods (pads are free). I thought ST-2 was the equivalent group in NASA. Also dont want to be in a class the car cant compete in. looking for a group that doesnt require an enormous budget to be competitive. I'll look at the NASA GCR's. Do you race ST-2 in the northeast? Is it a competitive field? What's the schedule like and venues?
I hate to say it, but honestly you can only prepare a car for one class, for that car to really win. I race in Nasa Mid-Atlantic, and here its mostly Ex-t1 (or t1) C5's. Wally normally wins, I'm never that far behind if the car holds together. We normally have 3-7 cars in st-2 but more cars come out every year, and it looks like we'll have 2 local subarus to have fun with next year.

The schedule can be found on nasaracing.net, and the venues are VIR and Summit. NE I think has NJMP, the glen, and limerock.

Get notified of new replies

To who's Racing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: who's Racing?