Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are T1 cars not road legal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Why are T1 cars not road legal?

I know that this may seem like a silly question....but, other then the exhaust not having cats....why can't these cars be licensed? Is it because the air bags are removed? Obviously it wouldn't be a car that would be driven on the road often...but it would be nice to be able to drive to HPDE's.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some are street legal... depends on your state and how strict they are. MD specifically does not allow you to remove the side windows... that was the only thing preventing me from plating my car 3 years ago. They didnt care about the harness, airbag, cage, exhaust... just the side windows.

However, rollcages on the street are a bad idea in general. Plus having a trailer to put the car on makes you 20-25% faster on track.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

T1 in particular was legal until they allowed removing catalytic converters a year or two ago. When I ran T1 in 2000, the cars were completely legal.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

So...T1 cars are street legal, as long as you have cats on them, put the windows in them and what ever you need to when it gets it's state inspection.

Then you can drive it to the local car show or cruise...I can't imagine why else you would want to drive a race car on the street.

If you have a T1 car for HPDE's you are running track tires and not driving it to events...most likely.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you want to be competitive in T1 or NASA ST2, you dont want a street legal Vette.

besides the suspension, rocks would be softer on the public roads.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Harnesses and race seats are generally not legal.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Thanks for all of the advice. The reason I am asking is because I am toying with the idea of buying a car for track only use....mostly for autocross and HPDEs. So I am investigating my options. I am not competitive enough to compete in T1 yet....but, I need to do something because my widebody convertible is fine for Autocross but it will be difficult to make useful for track days (hard to make a useable roll bar). So I fugure I have the following options:
1) Add a roll bar to my convertible (which is my daily driver)
2) Buy a C5 Z06 for track use
3) Buy a C6 Z06 for track use
4) buy a T1 or similar car.

I have room for a third car...but, a need to trailer will be a hassle because I don't have room to store a trailer.

Thanks again for the help.
Charley
Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

A couple of years ago I was in your same spot.

And against everyone's advice, I chose to put a roll-bar in my vert as I started moving from autox to more track days, and also trying to keep the car on the street. Eventually I got tired of beating my head against the wall, as every club, every track, and every insurance company had different rules concerning verts/rollbars/tracks. I also spent a small fortune on tires and alignments in the process.

So, here's my advice to save yourself money and time and aggravation in the near/short term:
Get a C5Z. Make it a dedicated track car. Get a tire trailer if you are running sticky tires. You can still drive it to the track for HPDEs and autox. Down the road, you eventually take it off the street and start trailering it to the track.

And here's my advice if you REALLY want to save yourself long term cost and effort:

Get a T1 car, truck, and enclosed trailer now. 5yrs from now you'll thank me. You can sell this to your wife as a safety issue, as fully caged T1 cars are much safer than street vettes that go just as fast and hit the wall just as hard.

It just depends how much you're willing to spend in the short term to save in the longterm. But without a doubt, if you are addicted to track time, ditch the vert. I miss mine every spring, until I get to the track in my Z.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can a car with a full cage and race seat be street legal? I live in NJ and there is no way a car with a full cage is passing any inspection. The cats are the LEAST of your issues. You can turn off the sensors and go right through inspection (they no longer put sniffers in the tail pipe, just look for codes)
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95jersey
How can a car with a full cage and race seat be street legal? I live in NJ and there is no way a car with a full cage is passing any inspection. The cats are the LEAST of your issues. You can turn off the sensors and go right through inspection (they no longer put sniffers in the tail pipe, just look for codes)
Again it all depends on your state and where you get the car checked.

I did have my car plated with a 30 day temp tag back in the day. It was FUN driving that thing around with a helmet on. This was when it was black with GIANT sheriff stars on the hood.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I would also imagine with a full cage car a Helmet would be MANDITORY all the time, as you could kill yourself in a minor fender bender hitting your head on the roll cage. That right there is a reason you can't drive a full cage car on the street, unless you want to drive around wearing a helmet...now that would be interesting.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

I would also imagine with a full cage car a Helmet would be MANDITORY all the time, as you could kill yourself in a minor fender bender hitting your head on the roll cage. That right there is a reason you can't drive a full cage car on the street, unless you want to drive around wearing a helmet...now that would be interesting.
Having a helmet on on the street really kills your visibility too.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How can a car with a full cage and race seat be street legal? I live in NJ and there is no way a car with a full cage is passing any inspection.
I had a dead battery in my DD in upstate NY back in '01 or so, so I had to jump in my race car to get to work (wasn't far, rural NY mountians, not a lot of traffic). I hit a NY State Police license/registration/seatbelt check point. I'm wearing slacks, a tie, and sitting in a race seat, 5 pts, full cage, door bars and everything. Trooper pulls off his hat, sticks his head in the window, looks around, says "I guess you're good to go".
Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Trooper pulls off his hat, sticks his head in the window, looks around, says "I guess you're good to go".
Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

How can a car with a full cage and race seat be street legal?
Move out of NJ.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jason
A couple of years ago I was in your same spot.

And against everyone's advice, I chose to put a roll-bar in my vert as I started moving from autox to more track days, and also trying to keep the car on the street. Eventually I got tired of beating my head against the wall, as every club, every track, and every insurance company had different rules concerning verts/rollbars/tracks. I also spent a small fortune on tires and alignments in the process.

So, here's my advice to save yourself money and time and aggravation in the near/short term:
Get a C5Z. Make it a dedicated track car. Get a tire trailer if you are running sticky tires. You can still drive it to the track for HPDEs and autox. Down the road, you eventually take it off the street and start trailering it to the track.

And here's my advice if you REALLY want to save yourself long term cost and effort:

Get a T1 car, truck, and enclosed trailer now. 5yrs from now you'll thank me. You can sell this to your wife as a safety issue, as fully caged T1 cars are much safer than street vettes that go just as fast and hit the wall just as hard.

It just depends how much you're willing to spend in the short term to save in the longterm. But without a doubt, if you are addicted to track time, ditch the vert. I miss mine every spring, until I get to the track in my Z.
Thanks for sharing your experiences... They match my gut feel. I was hoping that there may be an intermediate step, where I could get a T1 car and drive it to the track until I get competitive enough to justify a trailer and cost / hassle to store it. But, that probrobly isn't realistic.

Thanks for the help.

Charley
Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Thanks for sharing your experiences... They match my gut feel. I was hoping that there may be an intermediate step, where I could get a T1 car and drive it to the track until I get competitive enough to justify a trailer and cost / hassle to store it. But, that probrobly isn't realistic.

Thanks for the help.

Charley
The trailer is cheap, you can find good used one's all over the place for a couple grand or less. It is the tow vehicle that will cost you. If you got that...go for it. The trailer will pay for itself in mileage saved on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are T1 cars not road legal?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Yup and in expensive used 1500 pick up, open trailer and a garage for the car.

of course it is all down hill from there
Old 06-25-2009, 01:38 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Move out of NJ.
<~~~~ ANYTHING is legal in OH!!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Yup and in expensive used 1500 pick up, open trailer and a garage for the car.

of course it is all down hill from there
I know I am standing on a slippery slope

Quick Reply: Why are T1 cars not road legal?