Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood W6A Corvette Front kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wilwood W6A Corvette Front kit

I haven't heard much about this kit. It looks like a well make kit to compete with the ST-60 (stoptech) and Brembo 6 piston caliper. As usualy with Wilwood, the price is very competitive. I LOVE the quick release bridge...that alone is enough to make me seriously think about this kit.

Any have REAL experience? I had the SL6 on my C5Z and loved it. I can't take brake pad changes on my C6Z any longer...
Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I love about wilwood (running sl6r) is that the pads are cheap. For some reason pads for stoptech and brembo calipers cost a fortune.

for example, a set of wilwood H pads for the W6A is about 200 bucks, while a set of pads for the stoptechs ranges from 300-400 bucks.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Had the calipers here at the shop for some time. I have not had them on the track yet, but Wilwood has always had a good product in the past. StopTech, Brembo, AP....seem to be a little more geared towards road racers.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I agree the pads are cheap and they work very well and last a LONG time. How much are the replacement rings compared to Stoptech/Brembo?

It looks like the rotors are 14.25". I think the Stoptechs and Brembo's are 14". Does this fit under stock C6Z06 wheels?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Found my answer to the rings...$200 which is pretty good. I personally like the OEM C6Z brakes, but I am just tired of having to remove the caliper each time I change pads around from street to track.

If someone could at least tell me these brakes are as good a OEM C6Z, I would be fine. I am not looking for any additional performance in any way, just want the luxury of a removeable bridge and cheaper pads.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:10 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

I'd be willing to bet that theyre easily "as good as" the stock c6z PBRs. I don't think thats even a question.

This is just based on my experience with the sl6.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

That is not saying much Wally! The SL6R and SL4R are really great calipers, but the W6A is not very good for this application (and I am being nice because I like everything else they make).
Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
That is not saying much Wally! The SL6R and SL4R are really great calipers, but the W6A is not very good for this application (and I am being nice because I like everything else they make).
interesting, so whats the w6a's downfall?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

It has slider pins that are held in with a small wire ring. This adds zero stiffness, unlike a bridge bolt or 2 like the SL6 or ST, etc. The clip is easy to lose as you screw with it, and if it dirty, it does not seat correctly. The pads are thin, with a shape that is not very common. The Superight pad shape is offered by almost everyone in the brake biz.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a couple customers running them with good results. Like Gary said they do have some "issues" but for the average HPDE guy they do work pretty damn well. When going to the full kit, our master is almost a must. The pedal and feel of the pedal got pretty bad after we installed the rear also. Pads are kinda hard to find outside of the Wilwood lineup but their H pad works good. Order extra little clips, I just sent 12 of them to a customer that got sick of looking for them in the dirt at the track.

Randy
Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wallyman424
One thing I love about wilwood (running sl6r) is that the pads are cheap. For some reason pads for stoptech and brembo calipers cost a fortune.

for example, a set of wilwood H pads for the W6A is about 200 bucks, while a set of pads for the stoptechs ranges from 300-400 bucks.
I quoted out a set of front pads at 720 dollars. I hope they last two or three years Isn't racing with trick parts fun
Old 06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Exactly, the pads for the SL calipers are (relativitly) cheap and very available in a zillion compounds.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I quoted out a set of front pads at 720 dollars. I hope they last two or three years Isn't racing with trick parts fun
WTF, what kind of calipers have pads that cost 720 bucks???

They better be like 5 inches thick.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

FYI, the monster pads in the new AP's that are 25mm thick cost about $500 an axle, but that is less than the OE pads in terms of total usefull life. The W6A pads are thinner than any of these below (Brembo, AP, ST shown).

Last edited by ghoffman; 06-25-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wallyman424
WTF, what kind of calipers have pads that cost 720 bucks???

They better be like 5 inches thick.
That is the latest and greatest Brembo caliper. It's pretty new hence the price. This was for a custom set.

Randy
Old 06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Gary_C
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
That is the latest and greatest Brembo caliper. It's pretty new hence the price. This was for a custom set.

Randy
That price was for a "custom cut" PFC01.
PFC doesn't stock the 01 for the Brembo caliper yet, so you will be paying custom pricing for a while if that is your pad of choice.

Pads are readily available from Ferod, Porterfield, Carbotech, Cobalt Friction, Pagid, Hawk, and a few others... for as low as $225 a set.

When you look at the pad shape, the thickness is not the only important dimension. The total swept area is a key factor for pad life. The shape of the pad in Brembo's 6-piston monobloc is unique in that it is short annulus and also maintains a large volume and swept area. It's not unheard of for the Brembo pads to last 3-4 times longer than the OEM pads.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:29 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gary_C
That price was for a "custom cut" PFC01.
PFC doesn't stock the 01 for the Brembo caliper yet, so you will be paying custom pricing for a while if that is your pad of choice.

Pads are readily available from Ferod, Porterfield, Carbotech, Cobalt Friction, Pagid, Hawk, and a few others... for as low as $225 a set.

When you look at the pad shape, the thickness is not the only important dimension. The total swept area is a key factor for pad life. The shape of the pad in Brembo's 6-piston monobloc is unique in that it is short annulus and also maintains a large volume and swept area. It's not unheard of for the Brembo pads to last 3-4 times longer than the OEM pads.
That is 100 percent correct. My customer is going with the Ferod 3000 about half that price You will be getting my order shortly.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood W6A Corvette Front kit

Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Gary_C

Top to bottom, AP (#7778 in PFC 05 compound), PFC zr33 in PFC 05, Wilwood Superlight. Does anyone have a similar pic for the others?

Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

If we talk about swept area and pad size, nothing is going to beat the size of the one peice C6Z pads from Cobalt or Carbotech. They are HUGE compared to anything on the market.

I currently run them and have set some very good times with them, and for the fustration factor alone over the paddlets are worth the extra $$$$, BUT I didn't notice ANY dramatic improvement in braking over the paddlets (fact). I would also bet the area of the paddlets combined is probably bigger than all the pads show here as well (just not as thick).

I think it comes down to a personal decision as well as an economic decision. It seems they are all good compared to the OEM system. The Brembo/AP kit is easily $1400 more than the Wilwood kit, but are they $1400 better? I think the attraction to the Wilwood kit is that they at least better than OEM C6Z and maybe 85-95% as good as any of the calipers mentioned above. That is what I am personally trying to find out.

The drawback is lack of pad availability, and less than desireable bridge mounting systems (but ANYTHING is better than C6Z OEM), but both pads are rotor rings are pretty cheap and again most likely better than stock.

Last edited by 95jersey; 06-25-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:46 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting a W6A kit from Todd @ TCE, using the 14.25x1.375" Coleman rotors. When I do I'll post up more details. I decided on them because of the larger and cheaper rotors, cheaper pads, and cheaper kit price. A monster racing caliper with 1" thick pads would be nice, but its not worth the price of admission and new wheels for me.

Wilwood seems to make some thick calipers with huge pads for racing use, but they all seem to be circle-track stuff with small rotor diameters.

Going by the manufacturer's dimensions, the W6A pad has a volume in-between the ST-40 and ST-60 Stoptechs, and more than a Brembo F40/50. Cobalt told me XR1s are $209 a set, and Todd tells me new rotors are $200 each.

Quick Reply: Wilwood W6A Corvette Front kit