Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using OEM C6 Z06 wheels with Semi-slicks for autocrossing ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM
blackrockets
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is using OEM C6 Z06 wheels with Semi-slicks for autocrossing ?

I heard some OEM's were broken. But I also heard that HRE Comp were broken.

In this case, is it really worth to invest for special wheels for the autocrossing ?
If yes is CCW better than HRE?

I am only talking about semi-slicks autocrossing, no slicks
Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

...is CCW better then HRE?
ABSOLUTELY YES.

I have had both brands. Several of the spokes of my 3-piece HRE's cracked completely through at the thickest part - and they were only used on the street - NO autocrossing, NO semi-slicks!! After that experience, I would never compete in any way on a set of HRE's. I am not the only one that has reported this kind of damage from these wheels, either.

My car (a Porsche Boxster S) was autocrossed extensively on FIKSE wheels and semi-slicks during that same period of time (about four years). The FIKSE's put up with a lot of punishment without ANY damage - they are extremely well-made. They are another terrific option, but are very expensive (more then CCW...).

CCW's are custom-made by people that KNOW Corvettes very well. They will be the optimum fit & size for YOUR particular car, and will clear almost any size brakes. They are also forged - not cast, so they are very strong.

CCW C10 Corsairs are on my C6 in the picture below... You can see how well they fit.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 06-26-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does using C5 Z06 wheels on a C6 Z06 with racing slicks count ?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wah
Does using C5 Z06 wheels on a C6 Z06 with racing slicks count ?

this proves that in general the OEM are good enougth for autocrossing and no need for special wheels.

On this forum, I have never seen somebody with broken OEM wheels due to autocrossing. Do you?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
ABSOLUTELY YES.

I have had both brands. Several of the spokes of my 3-piece HRE's cracked completely through at the thickest part - and they were only used on the street - NO autocrossing, NO semi-slicks!! After that experience, I would never compete in any way on a set of HRE's. I am not the only one that has reported this kind of damage from these wheels, either.

My car (a Porsche Boxster S) was autocrossed extensively on FIKSE wheels and semi-slicks during that same period of time (about four years). The FIKSE's put up with a lot of punishment without ANY damage - they are extremely well-made. They are another terrific option, but are very expensive (more then CCW...).

CCW's are custom-made by people that KNOW Corvettes very well. They will be the optimum fit & size for YOUR particular car, and will clear almost any size brakes. They are also forged - not cast, so they are very strong.

CCW C10 Corsairs are on my C6 in the picture below... You can see how well they fit.
Many thanks for your feed-back. Sorry but I do not like the design of the Corsair, CCW for sure have other models
Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by blackrockets
this proves that in general the OEM are good enougth for autocrossing and no need for special wheels.

On this forum, I have never seen somebody with broken OEM wheels due to autocrossing. Do you?
I have seen some y2k thin spokes with a broken spoke at autox, no way to know it if was potholed beforehand and the autox finished it.

Have also seen broken ccw at autox.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

I've been using OEM knockoffs for close to 2 years with no issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Who is using OEM C6 Z06 wheels with Semi-slicks for autocrossing ?

Quick Reply: Who is using OEM C6 Z06 wheels with Semi-slicks for autocrossing ?