Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Running (ZO6cool that is) at Roebling

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cool Running (ZO6cool that is) at Roebling

Family time is probably one of the most important things any father can provide (after spending cash, designer clothes, iPods, etc.) so I took a day off to work on cars (mostly Josh's Supra) and then I took another one off to run with SeatTime at Roebling on the 26th. We trailered the 99 Corvette down and Josh drove his 83 Supra to the event. After we were unloaded, after 8 AM - quiet time, we went to the drivers meeting and met up with our students. I had a very nice gentleman from Aiken in a Z3 M Coupe (I lust after those cars - one of many I have primal urges for), Jake had a WRX and Josh had a Civic - it is nice to be fully employed in these dire economic times.

The Corvette contingent was there in force - we had the 99 FRC, Fred (05C6GAC) in his C6, Khoi (Z06cool) in the number 88 car(aka the Beast), and Mike in his latest replacement (C5Z number three). ZO6cool was under the close supervision of his family (he needs it, obviously) and his car was pretty well sorted out. Mikes car has some issues with no catch can (a hose currently dumps it under the car), dead battery and a tired suspension - all things we can easily solve - it will work out well for him (it needs a CAGE). Our car is still having computer issues (AH, Traction Control), spurious lights (a false low oil is an eyecatcher) and is still down on power (need to hook it up to see if I have any bad coil packs?). I had one session in the car with my student and I took it pretty easy - even when the Beast wanted to play I focused on my student getting the line down and compressed braking - but I did make the Beast work it in T6/T7.

Jake had two sessions in the 99 FRC and was out with his student trying to make the Beast work and it is sad to say he had very little for the Beast. But to keep things exciting the left front wheel bearing stud ring separated from the rest of the bearing. The weld failed holding the stud ring to the rest of the hub. It happened at turn in at Turn 1 at ~95MPH. Jake was able to take it off smoothly off track with no major damage to him, his student or the car. It did eat up the caliper, wheel and caliper bracket a good bit. The scary part (that makes me wake up in a cold sweat) is there was absolutely no indication of this problem - the bearing itself is still tight - and it had been on the car for about 26 months. It is clearly a fatigue/bad weld problem. There are lots of bad places for this to happen.

I was out of hub assemblies (rotors and hubs are a C5 staple) and so was all the supply stores in Savannah. This was a real problem since the car would not roll making it hard to load up. However, Fred had a used one at his house and Khoi had all the tools at the track to replace it. The people at track events are the best.

Thanks to friends we swapped in the used hub and got it on the trailer. Josh's car running on junkyard tires did well all day -it scaled in at 3069 with him in it so we can take it down, legally, another 200 pounds or so. It will help with some real rubber and shocks not dating from 1983. He missed out in his attempt at the Beast since the car was broken by his brother. Josh could have taken it to the Beast - his ego demands it.

Track density was low, the weather was pretty good for June and SeatTime put on another great event. Now we need to get ready for VIR and Lowe's when I get back from Chicago.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

it needs a CAGE
Let me know what yall find. Maybe we can get a group rate.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Let me know what yall find. Maybe we can get a group rate.

I read in GRM where Balanced Performance is now doing cages, but I'm not sure if they are custom fab, name brand, welded or bolt in.

Get notified of new replies

To Cool Running (ZO6cool that is) at Roebling

Quick Reply: Cool Running (ZO6cool that is) at Roebling