Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun weekend at BIR-MY first race (everything happened in twice)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:44 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Fun weekend at BIR-MY first race (everything happened in twice)

What a great 2 day event. (It was a mixed group of racers-hpde)
DRM had 2 new engines to track test. (Doug's 69 and my 2000)
Stopped 2 times to fill the trailer tire. (stem valve problems)
2 bags of ice. (big cooler)
2 sets of ramps to load my car onto my open trailer. (long story)
2 tanks of gas in the tow truck ($55 and $60 I drove home on Saturday night)
2 times to the gas pump with the car (3.3 miles per gallon)
we need two new sets of tire (burnt them all up)
Ate 2 brats but sat and sun day night (ummm good)

Now for the race stuff
I had two spins (Make sure you watch the video, and the other one I was being stupid)
The track dried out twice on Saturday. (rain in the am and mid afternoon)
I went number 2 going into turn 2
Doug couldn't run as slower then a 1:52. He was running 1:51s lap after lap after lap. He won his race on Saturday, packed up and left early Sunday AM. Saving tires, and fuel for the Bric.

I don't want to spoil the video, but something else happened twice!!!

Full writeup and Video coming soon!!!

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 06-29-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks like you had fun!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Minis everywhere. Man those cars are fast in the tight stuff If I ran there race I would have been lucky to be in the top 10

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 06-29-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SWEET!!!!

I'm glad you're gettin out there!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

First video is all the pictures we took. I made up a video last night and the upload didn't work for some reason. Anyways

Randy
Old 06-29-2009, 05:57 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Friggen sweet randy, too bad i didnt know it was a 2 day event up there it would have been worth the drive for a 2 day event for me.

Car looks sweet and I hope you had a blast, that is what it is all about!!

my brake rotors look bigger then the mini wheels LOL
Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Friggen sweet randy, too bad i didnt know it was a 2 day event up there it would have been worth the drive for a 2 day event for me.

Car looks sweet and I hope you had a blast, that is what it is all about!!

my brake rotors look bigger then the mini wheels LOL
It wouldn't have been a good event for you. I really had some doubt going into it also. I had a 15 minute warm up and 10 lap race on Saturday and 15 warm up on Sunday and 15 lap race. It turned out to be a ton of fun, but I would have liked more seat time. Good thing I will be heading up there on July 13th!!!

Randy
I'm going home to see what the hell happened to my upload
Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM
cebars
Pro

Nice to see you with your car at the track. My buddy Frank who you met still talks about how you put your engine together.

We went back south to the BIR PDS two weeks after we were at your shop. Rain in AM, dry by noon....we got as much time on the track as our bodies and weak minds could take. Sorry you didn't get more seat time.

It was a real learning experience driving on a wet newly paved track.

Myron took my buddies (who were not in the School) for a ride in his CTS-V on the track...truly impressive.

Herm gave my buddy's SLK55 AMG a workout. My buddy never thought that anybody could do that with a car. He will be forever grateful to Herm for driving his car.

Garry Curtis runs a great School.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you ran the Competition Course. How did those high horsepower cars like it? What are your thoughts on the course? Thumbs up or down.

BTW, whats's going on up there July 13?

Last edited by MNCrystalRed2011; 06-29-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM
cebars
Pro

Originally Posted by MNElectronBlue2002
It looks like you ran the Competition Course. How did those high horsepower cars like it? What are your thoughts on the course? Thumbs up or down.

BTW, whats's going on up there July 13?
I'm a novice - 2 times at Spring Mountain and then BIR...so FWIW (if in fact you are asking me and not Randy who probably has forgotten more than I'll ever know)

- was inclined to loose the rear end with too much throttle...until the instructor told me to imagine that there was an orange between my foot and the pedal when accelerating. So the bottom line is probably that it's not so much the high hp car as the driver.

- Driving the old pavement on the banked turn which guys say can be done at 130 - 140 (not me) after the newly paved straight was a new experince for me. Never drove a fast banked turn before...not like that one anyway.

- as my only previous track experience is at Spring Mountain, I only have that to compare it to. BIR is faster but the Competition Course has enough corners to challenge me and my brakes (stock C5Z).

- I really liked being able to drive on new asphalt. Somebody put a ton of money into that place.

- I'll be back there (hopefully with some guys from the Manitoba Corvette Club) a couple more times this summer. I live in Winnipeg ...a 6 hour drive. It's a thumbs up for me.

I think Suburban Corvettes has a HPDE there in early Sept. It's not in this list;
Jul 3 BIR Performance Driving School
Jul 4 BIR Performance Driving School
Jul 5 BIR Performance Driving School
Jul 10 Fri Modern Automotive Performance Sport Compact Proving Grounds
Jul 11 Sat Modern Automotive Performance Sport Compact Proving Grounds
Jul 12 Sun
Jul 13 Mon BIR Performance Driving School
Jul 24 Fri Open Test & Tune - Drag Strip
Jul 25 Sat BIR Bracket Drag Racing Series
Jul 26 Sun BIR Bracket Drag Racing Series
Jul 27 Mon BIR Performance Driving School
Jul 31 Fri Club Race DE Nord Stern Porche Club
Aug 1 Sat Club Race DE Nord Stern Porche Club
Aug 2 Sun Club Race DE Nord Stern Porche Club
Aug 3 Mon BIR Performance Driving School
Aug 31 Mon BIR Performance Driving School
Sep 4 Fri Coca-Cola Muscle Car Shootout - Featuring Outlaw Drag Racing and BIR Performance Driving School
Sep 5 Sat Coca-Cola Muscle Car Shootout - Featuring Outlaw Drag Racing and BIR Performance Driving School
Sep 6 Sun Coca-Cola Muscle Car Shootout - Featuring Outlaw Drag Racing and BIR Performance Driving School
Sep 18 Fri Last Fling Driver Training Nord Stern Porche
Sep 19 Sat Last Fling DE Nord Stern Porche Club
Sep 21 Mon BIR Performance Driving School
Oct 2 Fri Open Test & Tune - Drag Strip
Oct 3 Sat BIR Bracket Drag Racing Series
Oct 4 Sun BIR Bracket Drag Racing Series
Oct 5 Mon BIR Performance Driving School
Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I was just curious. I have been driving the Donnybrooke course (original 3 mile course) with the local Audi, BMW and Suburban Corvettes since around 1997. Just looking for some feedback on the new Competition course, I have only run it once.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

I think the up-hill battle with youtube is over. Inbetween my super slow internet @ home and it having errors, it's been interesting. Better videos in HQ will be coming soon. Here you go west coast guys, it's late here

Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cebars
Nice to see you with your car at the track. My buddy Frank who you met still talks about how you put your engine together.

We went back south to the BIR PDS two weeks after we were at your shop. Rain in AM, dry by noon....we got as much time on the track as our bodies and weak minds could take. Sorry you didn't get more seat time.

It was a real learning experience driving on a wet newly paved track.

Myron took my buddies (who were not in the School) for a ride in his CTS-V on the track...truly impressive.

Herm gave my buddy's SLK55 AMG a workout. My buddy never thought that anybody could do that with a car. He will be forever grateful to Herm for driving his car.

Garry Curtis runs a great School.

I also got the fun of learning to drive on a semi wet track on slicks. About the 4th lap in AM warm up. I lost it coming out of 3. The traction control was on, I truely felt that was because of the traction control didn't like my style. But at the end of the day, I was driving and going too fast. No harm, just a test of the limits. It was kinda one of those "controled" out of control spins. Turn 3 If there was a track with (4) turn 3s in it I would love that track.
It's a fun corner, drive in at about 130ish, slam on the brakes about the 3 marker, wait, wait TURN TURN, GAS MORE GAS on the floor, apex passes, straighten out wheel and aim right at the last rumble strip.
It doesn't get much better.

I'm going up on the 13th to their school. They will make me faster. My old man and I had a long talk about my driving. This was my 2nd time in a Vette around the track. I have been driving other things, so things are progressing in my skills. Taking a step backwards is a very important for me right now. Driving more at less of a pace, this will make more sence after you watch the videos.

If you guys liked that story you would love to hear about plan B Plan B worked like champ and was very strong.

See ya soon, maybe?

Randy
Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MNElectronBlue2002
Thanks. I was just curious. I have been driving the Donnybrooke course (original 3 mile course) with the local Audi, BMW and Suburban Corvettes since around 1997. Just looking for some feedback on the new Competition course, I have only run it once.
I loved the new track, but I'm a sucker for a busy track. Growing up I sat in the grand stands by turn 5 always. Nothing was going on in turn 1 besides everyone hanging on for dear life. I really liked turn 10, but would give it up to run the short course.

I was having way too much fun under the new bridge. I'm about 95 MPH going into that sharp left. I started taking that in 2nd gear not
1st. It was faster and much more controled, but nothing like hanging her out pretty good in 1st. Tried to put on a good show My dad stood on the bridge and watch me there. He said "Wish I could get my car to do what yours is in there. But your slow up on the banking" The car is there, I am not ready to throw it all away to gain a few MPH. Pick your battles (turns) to push hard:oNote to self

It's getting late,
Randy
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I also got the fun of learning to drive on a semi wet track on slicks.
Kind of like ice racing? :-)
Old 06-30-2009, 02:23 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Kind of like ice racing? :-)
NO Well different, my ice racing experience didn't hurt anything but turning early. Wait until part 2 of the video

Wet+slicks not fun, white knuckle.

Randy
Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It'll grow on you. I love wet and slicks. The wet weather separates those that can walk the edge of traction from the rest of the crowd. And I agree about AH fighting against you sometimes... especially if you're playing a little pitch and catch...

Remind me to tell you the story of pitching the car sideways at the top of the Corkscrew with the wife in the right seat in the pouring rain... stupid me was busy being impressed by the Audi RS4 catching up in my mirror rather than watching for my braking point...

Get notified of new replies

To Fun weekend at BIR-MY first race (everything happened in twice)

Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Despite the rain and short races, looks like you had a blast. Hook has been set.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

looks and sounds like you had a blast, thats what its all about. good read!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Despite the rain and short races, looks like you had a blast. Hook has been set.
The short races weren't that big of a deal. 30 minutes each, and I was red in the face, heart pounding and sweating. I was driving hard compared to a HPDE pace. So it was really fun when I was on the track.

Randy

Quick Reply: Fun weekend at BIR-MY first race (everything happened in twice)