Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sump for LS-3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dry sump for LS-3?

Given that the new Grand Sport has a dry sump system on the LS#, is it possible to upgrade an 08 LS3 to the dry sump system?

Wish I had known about this weakness with the motor BEFORE I sold the Porsche to buy the Vette.....
Old 07-05-2009, 10:11 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

LS engines have run strong at the track for over 10 years now, so don't fret.

Based on some comments by Jason of Katech in another thread, you'd need a different crankshaft to adapt the dual-stage pump assembly. I find it hard to believe that GS engines have a different crankshaft than normal LS3's, but that was his statement.

I haven't seen a cutaway of the dry-sump LS3 to verify this, but he is usually good with this stuff.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:18 AM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, I'm going with an Aviaid dry sump setup. Two-stage scavenge pumps mounted on the passenger's head (using the serpentine belt with a Katech tensioner). So you can keep A/C with a multi-stage dry sump setup. It uses the factory pressure pump, which is nice (so if the belt comes off, you've got plenty of time to shut the car down before the engine starts to starve).

Katech is evidently overstocked in ARE dry sump pans, so now is a good time to pick one up.
http://store.katechengines.com/share...CS=katech&All=

Last edited by GrantB; 07-05-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:09 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Based on some comments by Jason of Katech in another thread, you'd need a different crankshaft to adapt the dual-stage pump assembly. I find it hard to believe that GS engines have a different crankshaft than normal LS3's, but that was his statement.
David -

CF member ' Eaglei ' is an engine assembler at the Wixom Performance Build Center, where they build the Z06/ZR1 engines. He has confirmed that the LS3 dry sump engines will indeed be hand-built there alongside the LS7/LS9's, specifically because of the dry sump's unique requirements for a different crankshaft, oil pan and oil/scavenger pumps. Those LS3's will use the LS7 clutch assembly, too.

Apparently, they have already built some of the initial batch of production LS3 DS motors there at Wixom. The non-dry sump LS3's will be built at the standard production facility.

Check out his comments on this thread :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-gmpt-hdq.html

Keep in mind that the ONLY LS3-equipped model to get the dry sump setup in 2010 will be the Grand Sport Manual Coupe - no automatics, no verts...

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 07-05-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

wow, more wastefull GM spending. They could have developed a dual stage pump that would bolt onto ANY LS engine, but instead have to build multiple crankshafts for the exact same engine.....

Just like the 4 "fender" options they offer, development money down the drain......
Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
wow, more wastefull GM spending. They could have developed a dual stage pump that would bolt onto ANY LS engine, but instead have to build multiple crankshafts for the exact same engine.....

Just like the 4 "fender" options they offer, development money down the drain......
They could have, but how do you know that didn't exceed the projected cost of the new cranks for only the LS3 motors going into a grandsport with the manual? My guess is they ran the numbers, and decided a small run of cranks with very little engineering work to be done was cheaper than even a small development program.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
CF member ' Eaglei ' is an engine assembler at the Wixom
Performance Build Center, where they build the Z06/ZR1 engines.
He has confirmed that the LS3 dry sump engines will indeed be
hand-built there alongside the LS7/LS9's

Check out his comments on this thread :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-gmpt-hdq.html.
Thanks for the link.

Eaglei had some interesting comments to share. Curious that this
one hasn't elicited some kind of response. Am I the only one to
think that co-building the engine for my/a car would be a special
treat ...

Originally Posted by Eaglei
Another interesting development - there is talk about
allowing customers to come in and build their engines along with us.
Of course it will be an option that will not be free. You may even be
able to have a label with your name put on your engine. We're just
starting to hear about this, but if there is interest from customers it
wouldn't hurt to let GM execs know you like it. However, I'm not sure
who would be the best person to contact. Wouldn't hurt to let you
dealer know so they can work it from their end.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
They could have, but how do you know that didn't exceed the projected cost of the new cranks for only the LS3 motors going into a grandsport with the manual? My guess is they ran the numbers, and decided a small run of cranks with very little engineering work to be done was cheaper than even a small development program.
LS3s in the GS autos are production built

the GS with UPGRADED LS3, dry sump, oil cooler, trans cooler does have a hefty up charge to it as well
Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Am I the only one to think that co-building the engine for my/a car would be a special treat ...
You are by NO means the only one that thinks this is a terrific concept (I think it's just an awesome idea)!

But it is surprising that in these dark days of GM, they would even consider such a unique and special program, especially when it will only apply to a very small community of buyers.

Even if I don't get to 'build' my own engine, my interest in buying a GS manual coupe in a few months certainly increased when I found Eaglei's post about the LS3 DS engines being hand-built at Wixom...
Old 07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

you guys enjoy the Kool-Aid!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM
99BlackZ51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARE makes a dry-sump setup specifically for LS3's that do not require a special crank. They are being run by T1 LS3's and seem to work very well.
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Dry sump for LS-3?

Quick Reply: Dry sump for LS-3?