Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat rails interfer with sensor on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
TQDrivenws6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seat rails interfer with sensor on passenger side

I was test fitting my new racing seat using a borrowed hardbar seat rail setup in the passenger side of my C5 and there is a sensor directly in the way of where the rail needs to sit on the floor.

What is this sensor for? Can it be relocated?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That is the yaw sensor for active handling. I have some pictures of what I did, but you will have to cut the carpet to pull that. Pm me if you need pictures.
Nando
Old 07-08-2009, 03:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Hardbar seat rail actually has a screw hole for relocating that sensor... no?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
The Hardbar seat rail actually has a screw hole for relocating that sensor... no?
Mine did but I had to drill them out more.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:05 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

As I recall, the sensor is mounted to a bracket which is glued to the floor. I used a heat gun to soften the glue, then used a scraper to pop off the bracket. I then removed the sensor from the bracket and relocated it to the Hardbar set rail using the holes which were already drilled and tapped in the seat rail. The existing holes in my seat rails worked without modification.

As I recall, the wires going to the sensor weren't quite long enough to reach the relocated sensor. However, a slit in the carpet made it so it would reach without having to extend the wires.

The above worked for me but I don't switch my seats in and out.

EDIT: Upon further thought, I probably removed the sensor, then the mounting bracket.

Last edited by MySR71; 07-08-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
TQDrivenws6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured it was something with the active handling system, when I took the (2) nuts off the studs the sensor didn't seem to want to come off, and the glue was sticking pretty solid. I was hoping to be able to swap between the stock seat and race seat quickly but once that bracket is unglued I'm not sure how that would work.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TQDrivenws6
I was hoping to be able to swap between the stock seat and race seat quickly but once that bracket is unglued I'm not sure how that would work.
If you haven't already, give Gary Hoffman a call. He has a lot of ideas of how to things. He might have an idea for this too.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat rails interfer with sensor on passenger side

Quick Reply: Seat rails interfer with sensor on passenger side