Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Speedlab Corvette.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Expressed in a slightly sarcastic way, you should not have to reinvent the wheel, but in my case it seems literally to be what is needed. Today, there are a variety of wheels on the market, it's just a lot of different looks with the strength and weight and other key ingredients are not emphasized in advertising. If all the pieces fall into place so I will have the resources to develop my own wheels, which also (in the middle of all the bad luck) is actually very interesting. I have negotiated with a manufacturer of motorcycle wheels and brakes here in Sweden that manufactured brakes for Nsacar cars in U.S., and they are willing to set up and produce four sets wheels (16) according to my drawings. I will keep the Corvette Forum informed of the plans progress.
Goran
Old 07-10-2010, 03:56 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If they're anything like the rest of the car, the results should be fantastic. /:\
Old 07-10-2010, 06:30 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hemipanter
Expressed in a slightly sarcastic way, you should not have to reinvent the wheel, but in my case it seems literally to be what is needed. Today, there are a variety of wheels on the market, it's just a lot of different looks with the strength and weight and other key ingredients are not emphasized in advertising. If all the pieces fall into place so I will have the resources to develop my own wheels, which also (in the middle of all the bad luck) is actually very interesting. I have negotiated with a manufacturer of motorcycle wheels and brakes here in Sweden that manufactured brakes for Nsacar cars in U.S., and they are willing to set up and produce four sets wheels (16) according to my drawings. I will keep the Corvette Forum informed of the plans progress.
Goran
very cool !!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Here is the first scetches for my new wheel for the Corvette. The design
is not based on look, soley on strength and weight. But as fare as the look is
concerned, if you look at a drop of water falling down so it is shaped
by the laws of nature, and with all your mind in shape, most of us will
think it is neat. It is my view that if I can draw a design with the laws of
physics as it can in any event not be totally ugly.
Goran

Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 AM
hemipanter
Instructor

A picture of my new wheels, they are not exactly the same drawing, when the model proved tricky to produce. But so far, it has been up to the task.

Just a picture of the Corvette an my Pantera.
http://www.hemipanter.se/Mantorp%20012.jpg
If everything turns out okay we will do the first race for 2011 next weekend.
Goran
Old 05-29-2011, 02:36 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! Keep us up to date and post video!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:33 AM
hemipanter
Instructor

This weekend we were at Falkenberg Racing Track in an attempt to implement an entire race. The car works flawlessly, so we had high hopes. It started well with a few test laps, but then the powers of Nature took over with a terrible rain. We had forgotten the wipers at home so we were able to just run the last race. We were still at it with a third place, thanks to good downforce, which allowed us to better braking at high speed than the competitor on the cold wet ground.

Our holding tent did not load during the night's downpour, but collapsed over our car. Luckily the car was not injured.

The staff had a good job of pumping out the new lake that the competition area blessed with.

Goran
Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

I forgot this one, one more version of wheel center. With the manufacturing method available, this wheel is not so bad. Very strong according to the simulations, without spending months of testing and manufacturing difficulties. But really, I would be able to produce the original model that I think would have at least the same strength but a much more an appearance of its own. Though the look is not the fundamental in this case.
Goran

Last edited by hemipanter; 07-25-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Bad image
Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

We have had problems with some understeer so I rebuilt the diffrential. Instead of the load-sensitive plate pack I made a new packages using a roller bearing which makes a completely open differential. It's not quite what you are accustomed to seeing on a race car but this car has an incredibly low center of gravity so I thought it was worth a try. It turned out that the driver was very satisfied. Now we can use a more balanced coilover-spring setting.

This weekend, 12-8-2012, test-driven the car with the new diff and the result was two victories in two races on Anderson Stop Raceway. I am really pleased with that.

It really takes some time to get things right for a small team....
Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Here is a film from the inside of our car at Anderstorp. There was a problem during startup because the driver was not familiar with the open diff, so we was passed by a few cars. In addition, he was out on the grass due to cold tires. These cars are later passed, and in the end there is a car left to pass but it is one lap behind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLl-...ature=youtu.be
Goran
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
preston
Advanced

Always enjoy seeing updates on this racecar, thanks Goran.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Sweet car.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

We have manufactured a new front to our Corvette now, it is in one piece and considerably lighter. This picture shows the "plug".

This picture shows the mold, in all consists of four limbs.

The front mold.

The final front.

The final front. There are cutouts for diveplates if you wonder what it is for.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Is the plug an old hood design just modified? Are the modifications done in fiberglass, or are you using clay/foam anywhere? Just curious.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by hemipanter
Here is a film from the inside of our car at Anderstorp. There was a problem during startup because the driver was not familiar with the open diff, so we was passed by a few cars. In addition, he was out on the grass due to cold tires. These cars are later passed, and in the end there is a car left to pass but it is one lap behind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLl-...ature=youtu.be
Goran
I like the speedo pegged @ 160kph, great fun.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:06 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC000E
Is the plug an old hood design just modified? Are the modifications done in fiberglass, or are you using clay/foam anywhere? Just curious.
The plug is made from the old front that was in two pieces. However, the whole front part is revised for a little more space and aero design. Once we know how it should look, from experience from racing, we made necessary changes. This new front part is the first example and is made with 800 g fibre glass mat with no foam anywhere. But it is just a prototype. Once tested ther should be an ultralight front in carbonfibre for strength. It might even include some foam layers. I may supply mor info as we progress.
Goran

Get notified of new replies

To The Speedlab Corvette.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:40 PM
hemipanter
Instructor

Hey, it's been a while since last time. I have rebuilt our Corvette and endowed it with turbochargers and a lower weight to 2200pound. Even the aerodynamics has got itself an update. The pictures show a bit of the work over the last year. Nira engine managemant and completely sequentially with 8 coils. Active brakes and aero is also on the "to do work" list.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:01 PM
preston
Advanced

Wow thanks for coming back and showing us that. THe car looks better than ever, I like what you did with the side strakes etc.

No intercooler ?
How much boost are you running ?
Meth/water injection ?
I assume you are running some pretty high octane fuel.
Is the new turbo system race/track proven ?
Any concerns with turbo heat affecting the front tire ?
Is that dual wastegates on the passenger turbo ? At first I thought the second unit was a blowoff valve that was plumbed into the exhaust !
Old 10-14-2015, 01:37 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn this is one serious race car. I love it!!!

Quick Reply: The Speedlab Corvette.