Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are narrower wheels/tires better for a wet track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Are narrower wheels/tires better for a wet track?

I have been simplifying my wheel/tire packages such that I am square (315x18) on all four corners for my track wheels and spares. I want to get a set of wheels/tires for the street that are also a good wet track tire. I have the opportunity to buy 4 C6 18x9.5 wheels and was considering putting something like the Goodyear D3s in 275 on them. The thinking being that they will move water and the narrower profile will less prone to hydroplaning; certainly not immune.

My primary goal is good wet track performance with tires that can stand up to street use; I realize this is a compromise.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

They certainly better in the snow!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghoffman
They certainly better in the snow!
Hmmm, wonder if Blizzaks come in 275...then I could run the Monticello Winter Series
Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I would guess you'd find a 275 square setup to be on the loose side in the wet - which is very exciting but not necessarily the goal! I ran 275F/315R Hoosier wets on my racecar and was always impressed with how they performed in the rain. The narrower fronts helped avoid hydroplaning, though I found that in standing water 115-120mph is about all I could muster before the car began making moves of its own without my input and I ran out of cajones.

The biggest thing that always surprised me was how well I could hook the rear of the car up exiting slower corners in the rain - which I attributed to the 315's back there working hard. My tires were Hoosier rain tires, not GS-D3's, but my experiences made me believe the sizing was very good. Hope that helps!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

one important thing in a really wet surface is tread pattern. A tire that channels water will do much better than a standard street tire, and that will obviously do much better than a slick.

I think width isn't as important in general IF you have a true rain tire, BUT width can really hurt you if you are running a slick/R tire in the rain.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I tried to use Firestone WideOvals for rains last year. Stock C5Z06 sizes. I swear the car was trying to kill me.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:26 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
one important thing in a really wet surface is tread pattern. A tire that channels water will do much better than a standard street tire, and that will obviously do much better than a slick.

I think width isn't as important in general IF you have a true rain tire, BUT width can really hurt you if you are running a slick/R tire in the rain.
So if I am placing the restriction on myself requiring the tire to be usable on the street, are there better options than the D3?

I used to run Wide Ovals when I had 17"s up front. They did well for me in the straights even crossing running water. They were reasonable in the turns, but needed their limit respected. When they wanted to let loose, they just went - they were also rocks, treadwear of 330 I think.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,730 Likes on 935 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I have a C4 with 17x10.5 wheels all around and 285/40/17 D3s as my street tires. My plan too is to use them at rain events. I have not had to use them at the track yet, but messing around town in the rain the car feels very stable and hard to break loose. They are great for wet traction!! In a downpour on the highway there is no hydroplaning in 1-2" of standing water at about 70mph. I have used them in a couple autocrosses too and they grip excellent in the dry as well.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Keith,
I found the WOs work especially well in deep water like we see at the Glen when it is pouring. Once the track drops down to merely wet the DOT Rs actually work a little better. The Goodyear DS3s may be as good of a rain tire as the WOs but I have never tried them. If you run the 275 in front that will increase the amount of pressure per square inch on the ground which should also help but it may be better to run a 295 Vs a 315 in the rear with the 275 in front.

Bill
Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you run the 275 in front that will increase the amount of pressure per square inch on the ground which should also help but it may be better to run a 295 Vs a 315 in the rear with the 275 in front.
Brings up a good question (wet or dry). Assuming same car, corner weight, and air pressure, do you really increase or decrease any contact patch (or PSI of tire contact) OR simply change the shape of it - by using a slightly skinnier or wider tire?

BTW I say run narrow in the wet (when I say wet I mean you're trying to move water). Just regular non standing water "wet", R comps work very well (as noted above). And I have been planning on doing the same as you, running 275/17's on my spare 9.5's for street (very little these days) to/from the track and track wets.

Pretty soon if I sold the stuff I have to KEEP my car off a trailer (streets/hitch/tire trailer/toolbox/yearly tag dues), I could buy a trailer
Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Brings up a good question (wet or dry). Assuming same car, corner weight, and air pressure, do you really increase or decrease any contact patch (or PSI of tire contact) OR simply change the shape of it - by using a slightly skinnier or wider tire?
You are probably right now that I think about it. I have always believed that if the tires are the same diameter then changing profiles only affects the shape of the contact patch. Going from a 315/30/18 to a 275/40/17 results in a miniscule diameter change so the contact patch size remains the same and just goes from being wider/shorter to a narrower longer patch.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Are narrower wheels/tires better for a wet track?

Quick Reply: Are narrower wheels/tires better for a wet track?