Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with autocross setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
conedog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with autocross setup

Going racing this weekend...i need some advice on replacing the front sway on a 05 c6...i have a choice of the eibach or the hotchkiss...the eibach is 1 3/8 and the hotchkiss is 1 1/2 inches...which one should i go with or is there another one out there i should consider...the only things in stock i can change are the mufflers, shocks, front sway and the air filter...done all the rest so the sway is left...i would appreciate any and all posts/suggestions...by the way...someone on another section suggested to switch to a front z51 sway...is this possible...i have the experience so dont tell me to learn to drive or that i need stickier tires or anything else like the bozos on the c6 general section did...i would appreciate sound logical advice and not open this to a debate...experience with a certain combination of parts would be appreciated...
Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 PM
waktasz
Pro

Do you think you will notice the difference in 1/8" of front bar? Get the cheaper one.

And more seat time

I have the 32mm hollow bar from Strano/Addco and like it.

Last edited by waktasz; 07-15-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

+1 on the Addco/Strano bar... 32mm ( 1 1/4" ) with good beefy endlinks.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What don't you like about the way the car handles now? Adding a bigger front bar just because the rules say you can change it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 PM
conedog
Intermediate

the car is done with mods for the time being...i was trying to get a read on how people set up their cars...since this weekend will be the first out of the old light overpowered miata and into the heavier wider and torquier vette i want to get some ideas for when i really do make the changes...also want to compare to what my competitors are doing as well...and thanks for the suggestions...how much experience do you have with autocrossing with that bar...except addco doesnt make a bar for a c6...so back to the drawing board

Last edited by conedog; 07-15-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 PM
waktasz
Pro

Aren't the bars the same for c5 and c6? http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=0&ModelID=12

As for the bar...I hear an there are some fast guys that run with the bigger bar, and some that run the stock bar so it's really up to you.

I like mine and my times have improved recently but maybe that's just me learning the car more. I can't really say it made a huge noticeable difference. Tires of course and a good alignment will make a bigger difference than the bar.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I own a C5, but it's always a good idea to try all of them. I own a Z51 28.5, Hotchkiss 32 and a Addco 35 bar. If you must make a choice between the 1 1/2 or 1 3/8 I would go with the 1 3/8.

Steve
Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 PM
conedog
Intermediate

thanks...i was planning on a baseline performance data gathering session or two before i made any radical changes in bar, tires and alignment...what would be a good starting point for alignment...and the addco website goes to 2004 only...i dont think the bars are the same but i dont own a c5 so that is up for conjecture...i know most of the guys performance levels so comparisons should be easy...a lot of consistancy among most of the guys i race against in the other classes
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Front. 2.1 neg. camber. Max Castor. 1/8" total toe out.
Rear. 1.2 neg. camber. 1/8" total toe in.
That would be pretty close to whatever you're running.

Steve
Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
waktasz
Pro

For R tires I'd try for more front camber than that. You will probably max out at around -2.5 or a little less. That's a good setting for the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with autocross setup

Quick Reply: Help with autocross setup