Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapo C6 rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Default Cheapo C6 rear spoiler

just for fun, I made an aluminum rear "flap" for the past few events. It matched the OEM brake light assembly in height. I was curious if it would help at all. My case-study was turn 2 at VIR.......and believe it or not, I was able to achieve full throttle coming out of turn 2 quicker than I could without the spoiler.

After returning from the NCM event, I ripped my aluminum rig off, hoping to purchase one of the fancy GM or aftermarket full width spoiler. Alas, just don't have the money to do it, so I made at trip to WalMart for $15 worth of fiberglass.

So here you go.....first 2 are my aluminum flaps, the others are the making of the fiberglass units. I need to hit them with a DA sander to smooth them out, but finishing work really isn't my bag.

Flame away, send me money to make more, whatever.......it was fun, and seems to be effective (although I haven't run the version 2.0 units yet).

Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

btw, for those of you at the event, that was my PCA friend driving the car several of the sessions. I coerced him to helping us out instructing by promising to let him drive a REAL car for a few sessions
Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
btw, for those of you at the event, that was my PCA friend driving the car several of the sessions. I coerced him to helping us out instructing by promising to let him drive a REAL car for a few sessions
That looked nice, David. Glad to hear they worked.

BTW, what did Pat think about the Z?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:53 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

he had fun, but we weren't comfortable running with him running AH/TC off, and since there are no pressure sensors in our track wheels, the systems were pretty intrusive for him. We didn't have any problems until lately, but after about 3 sessions, even Comp mode (sans sensors) causes the brakes to kick in mid-corner pretty much all of the time.

I think he enjoyed it nonetheless.......I doubt he's ever driven a car with even 300rwhp!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
he had fun, but we weren't comfortable running with him running AH/TC off, and since there are no pressure sensors in our track wheels, the systems were pretty intrusive for him. We didn't have any problems until lately, but after about 3 sessions, even Comp mode (sans sensors) causes the brakes to kick in mid-corner pretty much all of the time.

I think he enjoyed it nonetheless.......I doubt he's ever driven a car with even 300rwhp!
He can drive the wheels off the Porsche!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I like it Dave. I also like your style of making your own instead of spending the extra (way t0o much money for what you get) GM part....

I don't even remember seeing the AL pieces at VIR and I followed your friend in that car for about 5 laps (16 miles) during one of the parade sessions.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

David,

How was the alum. version attached? How is the fiberglass version attached?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 07-16-2009, 09:09 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Cool, if it gets the job done I say it's good! There's nothing like empirical data and cheap fixes to prove a theory.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

3M mounting tape......the black stuff. It held CMP around 140mph, then VIR at 160mph. The Al unit didn't budge a bit!

Took a little elbow grease to get it all off when I got home, but didn't hurt the finish. If you've ever removed the BSM's from a C5, you know how strong that stuff it!

Get notified of new replies

To Cheapo C6 rear spoiler

Quick Reply: Cheapo C6 rear spoiler