Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Help

Old 07-19-2009, 05:20 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default Tire Help

I am looking for a Stock size wheel (for z06) I can use for roadracing and driving back and forth from track. I was thinking Sport Cups (rear) and PS2 or NT05 (Front). Would this provide adequate traction on the track while holding the power (rear S Cups) if need be on the road? I really need a rear tire that will hold 700 HP out back. I want to avoid R6's as I may drag race once per year and I need some traction in the rain. Also found the Kumho Ecsta XS - looking for feedback on these - they have a 180 TWR. Thanks.....

Last edited by CPG1962; 07-19-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

don't mix front and rear tires, you will induce over/under steer on the track.

if you do any sort of driving in cold/wet weather, you are going to need a second set of wheels with proper street tires.

there is no tire that will work for the street, drag racing and roadcourse, you are going to have to pick one and compromise in other areas or invest into multiple sets of wheels.

"holding" 700hp is a matter of a driver, not a tire. you can break loose any kind of tire (including R6) with a car that's making over 100hp. yes, i have seen miatas doing burnouts
Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
dcvee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy

"holding" 700hp is a matter of a driver, not a tire. you can break loose any kind of tire (including R6) with a car that's making over 100hp. yes, i have seen miatas doing burnouts
A great point often overlooked....

Don
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by longdaddy
don't mix front and rear tires, you will induce over/under steer on the track.

if you do any sort of driving in cold/wet weather, you are going to need a second set of wheels with proper street tires.

there is no tire that will work for the street, drag racing and roadcourse, you are going to have to pick one and compromise in other areas or invest into multiple sets of wheels.

I appreciate it LD. I think I have decided to buy a set of Sport Cups and will use my NT05's for cold months. I understand about the spinning. Too much of anything is a problem - moderation is the key. However, I need a tire that when spinning I am able to keep it under control and in a straight line. I understand the S-Cups are not the best for the street but given I only put 5K miles per year they are worth replacing (for me) once per year. I may even go to the PS2 "viper" set which is 345/30R19 and 285/35R18. I have a suspicion they will do better than the NT05 but I need to talk to a few more people about it.
I want to talk to Michelin about the new Z06 PS2ZP. I read it is sticky but how much if more than the Std PS2.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Help