Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my C5 to the track for the first time next week and have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Taking my C5 to the track for the first time next week and have some questions.

Car info
- Forged 347 with a ECS D1SC, Meth kit, and fuel system, 716 RWHP so around 830-840hp at the crank.
- LG longtubes, and Corsa cat back
- Dewitts Rad
- Oil cooler installed right behind the front license plate coer (I cut it open and installed the mesh)
- Pfadt coil overs, Pfadt comp sway bars.
- Hawk brake pads, 14inch Stoptech slotted rotors, stainless brake lines.
- 6 point Sparco harnesses
- 6 point Wolfe rollcage
- Bridgestone Potenza tires ( I know these are going to be the limiting factor but I'd like to wear them out before replacing them.)

Things I plan to do before going to the track.
- replacing oil with a 10 W 40 synthetic
- adjusting tire pressures to 36 psi (with warm tires)
- swapping diff oil to 75 W 90 synthetic
- swapping tranny oil to Synthetic Dexron 4
- flushing brakefluid with fresh Dot4 Wilwood fluid.

Are there any other things I should do to the car before I go? Am I forgetting any vital info?

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Leave the Meth Kit home
Old 07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

easy on the go pedal, watch your tire wear.

get an alignment if you haven't had one done in the last year.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:30 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Throw a couple gallons of 100oct unleaded in the tank for extra insurance and have fun!

what track are you going to and what kind of experience do you have?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My God that's alot of car for a first timer. Traction is going to be your biggest problem. Lots of caution with the go pedal out of turns. You can easily pitch the rear and end up in trouble.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

is this the cars first event, or YOUR first event?? The reason I ask is that anything over 400HP actually makes it harder to learn car control. A stock C5/C6 is a great learning car, a heavily modified car, or a C6Z, actually can go soooo fast that even a novice driver can get into seriously dangerous territory before they even realize it.

That being said:

those fluids swaps aren't necessary UNLESS they are due anyway. The only one that is important for the event is the brake fluid bleed.

Also, I'm assuming your opened up behind your oil cooler also, as if the air just goes into the cooler but can't get out, it just stagnates and isn't very efficient.

Otherwise just go and have fun. The best way to learn to drive a Corvette is NOT to use the accelerator excessively, but to master setting up the corners so that you CAN use the accelerator sooner/harder.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Leave the Meth-alcohol at home, dont put any in the tank as most tracks will not allow it as it is a MAJOR safety hazard*.

also Which Hawk Brake Pads?

besides as David mention anything above 400 hp is very difficult to learn on.

plus as you get the hang of the track, you WILL be faster without the meth-alcohol,

Good Luck

Post a story and pics when you get back

*Some tracks REQUIRE car owners to even REMOVE Meth or N2 Bottles

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-20-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchcole
My God that's alot of car for a first timer.
Shlt! That's a lot of car for anytimer!

Have a blast out there! What track are you going to?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

what track you going to?
what calipers are you using with the 14" stoptech rotors?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 145 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

I would just do Brake Fluid and Power Steering fluid. the rest should be fine if they have been done recently, as others have said.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys!!

Originally Posted by longdaddy
easy on the go pedal, watch your tire wear.

get an alignment if you haven't had one done in the last year.
I'm going to have one done the day before. I'm going to go with the Pfadt track/ street aggresive setup as a starting point.

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Throw a couple gallons of 100oct unleaded in the tank for extra insurance and have fun!

what track are you going to and what kind of experience do you have?
I'm going to a place called Calabogie Motorsports Park, It's actually in Canada near where some of my family lives. My experience on the road course is limited, well actually none so I expect this to be a day of running a 1/4 throttle and no more than 1/2. I completely understand that going fast isn't all about hitting the throttle in the straights.

I've been driving the car with it's current setup for about a year now and I'm very comfortable with it's power level and what it's tendencies are (although I am anticipating some of these to change somewhat with the alignment). That being said I have a very healthy respect for how much of an animal this thing can be at full throttle.

Originally Posted by mitchcole
My God that's alot of car for a first timer. Traction is going to be your biggest problem. Lots of caution with the go pedal out of turns. You can easily pitch the rear and end up in trouble.
I agree, like I said I'm really going to treat this day as a learning experience and not worry about going fast at all!!

[QUOTE=davidfarmer;1570852805]is this the cars first event, or YOUR first event?? The reason I ask is that anything over 400HP actually makes it harder to learn car control. A stock C5/C6 is a great learning car, a heavily modified car, or a C6Z, actually can go soooo fast that even a novice driver can get into seriously dangerous territory before they even realize it.

That being said:

those fluids swaps aren't necessary UNLESS they are due anyway. The only one that is important for the event is the brake fluid bleed.

Also, I'm assuming your opened up behind your oil cooler also, as if the air just goes into the cooler but can't get out, it just stagnates and isn't very efficient.

Yep it's hanging down below the front frame rail.

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
what track you going to?
what calipers are you using with the 14" stoptech rotors?
Alas they're just the factory one's at the moment, I hope to upgrade this winter but it all depends on how many diapers I go through with my first baby on the way LOL.

Thanks again for all of the tips guys.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you seem to have the right mindset, have fun, you will have a lot of learning to do.

i notice you have a 6pt harness -i would make sure your seat/harness/cage setup is inspected by a race shop - it's not uncommon to see people with unsafe harness/seat setups during DE days, and you can do more harm than good with improper harness installation/usage.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:45 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by longdaddy
you seem to have the right mindset, have fun, you will have a lot of learning to do.

i notice you have a 6pt harness -i would make sure your seat/harness/cage setup is inspected by a race shop - it's not uncommon to see people with unsafe harness/seat setups during DE days, and you can do more harm than good with improper harness installation/usage.
Will do, I plan on using my normal seat belt as well..I'd rather have to much protection than not enough.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Maybe make sure your insurance coverage will be in place there?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
Maybe make sure your insurance coverage will be in place there?

I was always under the impression that when you drive onto a race track your insurance doesn't cover any damage.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I know of instances were insurance was paid under the guise of "driver training"!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Rob is not a newcomer to high hp machinery. Lambos, Ford GT's, and lowly Corvettes-- he's driven them all!

Get notified of new replies

To Taking my C5 to the track for the first time next week and have some questions.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:07 AM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Gotham,

Sounds like you've got an awesome machine and few would be able to get the maximum out of it. Like others have said, you have the right mind set for your first track day. Even a Stock C5 is more than most new comers can handle first time.

I think everyone is giving you good advice about going easy because they want you and your car to make it through the weekend in tact.

Sounds like your car will be ready. Will you?

Have you learned the track? If you spend a little time memorizing the track, you will have a leg up. Knowing what turn is coming up next will let you focus on driving. If you can find a video of a lap, all the better.

Remember, smooth is fast. That means being smooth on all the inputs. Steering, brakes and gas (especially the gas in your case ). If the car is jerking, you're not doing it right. A wise instructor once told me to imagine an egg was on each pedal and my goal was to not break the egg. In other words, don't "stab" the pedals, rather apply smooth pressure (especially the gas).

Slow In, Fast Out. Don't worry about late braking. Brake sooner than you need to. Going deep into the brake zone is the last thing you should be concerned with. It might seem like you can gain a lot of time, but most new comers loose time because they are not proficient with heel-toe downshifting or car control.

Don't downshift. That's right. You will learn so much more by putting the car in third and leaving it there. With the HP of your car you will still need to be smooth with the throttle, but it will be one less thing to worry about. You'll have so much low end torque, you won't lose much time.

Don't worry about your lap times. Keep you and your car safe. Someone will always be faster, no matter how much HP you have. As you gain more experience, use lap times to gauge YOUR performance.

Check your mirrors. If you find that a Miata is on your tail who wasn't there a turn ago, he is faster than you. Let him by. You might learn something. Don't try to stick with him too long, you might get yourself in trouble. Drive within your ability. When you let a car pass, make sure you let off the gas and don't drag race him.

Listen to your instructor's comments.

As others have said, take it easy. Fast on the street is not the same as fast on the track. It's really easy to get carried away on the track. You will probably get tired near the end of the day. That's not the time to try for your fastest lap.

I hope these little tidbits help. Be careful and have fun!

Let us know how it goes and post some pictures if you're able.

Take care,

Ken

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Damn, Ken took my answer.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Thanks guys, I wasn't anticipating so much great information!!

I really appreciate everyone taking so much time to provide such detailed answers and information.

Quick Reply: Taking my C5 to the track for the first time next week and have some questions.