Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help plumbing a Brake Recirculation unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Need help plumbing a Brake Recirculation unit

I just picked this Stewart/DPI brake recirculation unit for my GTA car. Info on the DPI web sit is very vague at best. Just guessing, the front (left side) goes to the M/C and the rear is PSI out to front calipers. The center would be the return line.....anyone know for sure????

Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got a couple DPI units I've installed. The orginal was round and the latest was red and "T" shaped. Niether have bolts. I have not used the one in your photo. On both of mine I mounted directly to the m/c. One line went out to the calipers and the second returned. Mine were both clearly marked.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you know that if you take the fluid out of the equation the next weak link becomes the seals. Fading brake fluid is great because it tells you brakes are going long before gone. You do not want a sudden seal failure because you cooked it then have no brakes all of a sudden at a buck forty. That's my thinking anyway.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a good thought, but I've never had a seal problem. I always made sure to replace seals every season on my PBR calipers and later on I used more race friendly calipers. Those I keep an eye on as well. Pressure seals seem to be very long lasting. I think sitting for a long time does more damage than anything. The recirculator is a great piece. Pedal is there all the time and all I did was a quick bleed every so often.
When installing a recirculator fresh it takes a while to get all the air out of the system, but after that what is really nice is that, at least on the ones I use, there is a bleeder on the part itself so it can be bled very quick and easily. No longer need to get the wheels off and down to the caliper.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Did you know that if you take the fluid out of the equation the next weak link becomes the seals. Fading brake fluid is great because it tells you brakes are going long before gone. You do not want a sudden seal failure because you cooked it then have no brakes all of a sudden at a buck forty. That's my thinking anyway.
This effectively cools the fluid and therefore what the fluid is in contact with. I have it on my GT1 car and I wish I had it on everything. Otherwise I agree, let the fluid be a warning of impending doom.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recirculators are the bomb!! Only one bleeder to bleed too!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:13 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

liquid cooled brakes, neat!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Eureka....I found another DPI catalog on line with the proper plumbing drawing......and Boy did I guess wrong

Thanks, and everyone play safe

Get notified of new replies

To Need help plumbing a Brake Recirculation unit

Quick Reply: Need help plumbing a Brake Recirculation unit