Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z alignment details

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5Z alignment details

I’ve searched some on this section for some alignment threads but my searching skills aren’t getting me many results.

I looking to get into T1 racing sometime next year or so and I will be using an 02 C5Z. I would really like to sharpen my knowledge up on the alignment for a C5Z for open track/road racing purposes. I would like to learn how to check my own alignment and make my own adjustments as I feel necessary when I’m out at the track.

I’m not completely new to suspension setup for a vette, but I just want/need to dig more into the advanced part of this and learn what I can do to maximize the grip in my car when I’m racing. If anyone knows a good thread or something I can read up on, post it up… I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
I’ve searched some on this section for some alignment threads but my searching skills aren’t getting me many results.

I looking to get into T1 racing sometime next year or so and I will be using an 02 C5Z. I would really like to sharpen my knowledge up on the alignment for a C5Z for open track/road racing purposes. I would like to learn how to check my own alignment and make my own adjustments as I feel necessary when I’m out at the track.

I’m not completely new to suspension setup for a vette, but I just want/need to dig more into the advanced part of this and learn what I can do to maximize the grip in my car when I’m racing. If anyone knows a good thread or something I can read up on, post it up… I would appreciate it. Thanks.
go to this thread read everything TWICE! and hit every url and read all the linked pages:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ngths-etc.html

then you will be C5 know it all

most road race guys run something very close this : CAMBER: -2.5° front, -1.5° rear; CASTER: max; TOE: -1/8" toe-out, front; 1/8" toe-in, rear

I run that vette turns like a damn formula car with that alignment!

Alignment
Autocross-Road Race
CAMBER: -2.5° front, -1.5° rear; CASTER: max; TOE: -1/8" toe-out, front; 1/8" toe-in, rear --- Source
C5 Service Manual Alignment --- Source
Front Individual Toe +0.04 degree
Front Sum Toe +0.08 degree
Front Individual Caster +6.9 degree
Front Cross Caster within 0.50 degree
Front Individual Camber -0.20 degree
Front Cross Camber within 0.50 degree
Rear Individual Toe -0.01 degree
Rear Sum Toe -0.02 degree
Rear Individual Camber -0.18 degree
Rear Cross Camber within 0.50 degree
Z06 Service Manual Alignment --- Source
LEFT & RIGHT FRONT:

Camber: Specified Range: -1.2 to -0.2 Optimal: -0.7
Caster: Specified Range: 6.4 to 7.4 Optimal 6.9
Toe: Specified Range: 0.15 to 0.25 Optimal 0.20

FRONT
Cross Camber: Specified Range: -0.5 to 0.5 Optimal: 0.0
Cross Caster: Specified Range: -0.5 to 0.5 Optimal: 0.0
Total Toe: Specified Range: 0.30 to 0.50 Optimal: 0.40

LEFT & RIGHT REAR
Camber: Specified Range: -1.2 to -0.2 Optimal: -0.7
Toe: Specified Range: -0.06 to 0.05 Optimal: -0.005

REAR
Total Toe: Specified Range: -0.11 to 0.09 Optimal: -0.01
Thrust Angle: Specified Range: -0.10 to 0.10 Optimal: 0.00
Z06 (missing in '01) Service Manual Alignment - as written by Hib Halverson, but same as above --- Source
Front Individual Toe: +0.04 degree +/- 0.10 degree
Front Sum Toe : +0.08 degree +/- 0.20 degree
Front Individual Caster: +6.9 degree +/- 0.50 degree
Front Cross Caster: within +/- 0.25 degree
Front Individual Camber: -0.70 degree +/-0.50 degree
Front Cross Camber: within +/-0.25 degree
Rear Individual Toe: -0.01 degree +/- 0.10 degree
Rear Sum Toe: -0.02 degree +/- 0.20 degree
Rear Individual Camber: -0.68 degree +/- 0.50 degree
Rear Cross Camber: within +/- 0.50 degree

Last edited by rustyguns; 07-21-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
I would like to learn how to check my own alignment and make my own adjustments as I feel necessary when I’m out at the track.
You might want to look at David Farmer's alignment guide.

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf
Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys... exactly what I was looking for. And Jason Ireland forwarded me Farmer's site too.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

let me know if I can help!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

just in case anyone gets misled, those numbers above are for a dedicated racing application. -2.5camber and -1/8" toe will cause massive wear issues on the street. A good comprimise setup will keep the camber at just under -2.0 deg, and the toe to about 1/32" (.1º) out. You will still get 90% of the ultimate grip and track wear, but your street tires will survive much longer.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
just in case anyone gets misled, those numbers above are for a dedicated racing application. -2.5camber and -1/8" toe will cause massive wear issues on the street. A good comprimise setup will keep the camber at just under -2.0 deg, and the toe to about 1/32" (.1º) out. You will still get 90% of the ultimate grip and track wear, but your street tires will survive much longer.
Hi David!

What is the URL of your website?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Thank you for starting this thread!! I was about to start searching the forum like a mad-man this weekend

Are you still getting Craig's old car?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Thank you for starting this thread!! I was about to start searching the forum like a mad-man this weekend

Are you still getting Craig's old car?
I am flying out there tomorrow to put a deposit on it... won't be too long after that I should have it finally in my garage.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Nice! and congrats finally! I saw it out at the track the other month (Buttonwillow). I forgot his name, but Craig wasn't driving, his mechanic (who has very little seat time) was in it. Another T1 racer and fellow poster here Oli took it out for a session. If you have any more questions that will be fully unbiased, I suggest you PM on here and ask. He's been in a few different peoples T1 cars now and has felt a few of the different setups that can go in them, so he's a good source for info. His username here is: Olitho

Oh, I took my first win last weekend (not in T1, in a club racer/unlimited group, anything goes) and beat out a wicked 1988 BMW M3 with front/rear down force, as well as a "Pro-NASA" driver in a GT3 Cup car...couple weekends before that I took a 3rd behind a NASA ST-2 C5 and a different GT3 Cup car, but my times are still off from the T1 guys..at that track at least
Old 07-24-2009, 05:17 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

oh ya, its going to be hotter'n hell out there tomorrow!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Nice! and congrats finally! I saw it out at the track the other month (Buttonwillow). I forgot his name, but Craig wasn't driving, his mechanic (who has very little seat time) was in it. Another T1 racer and fellow poster here Oli took it out for a session. If you have any more questions that will be fully unbiased, I suggest you PM on here and ask. He's been in a few different peoples T1 cars now and has felt a few of the different setups that can go in them, so he's a good source for info. His username here is: Olitho

Oh, I took my first win last weekend (not in T1, in a club racer/unlimited group, anything goes) and beat out a wicked 1988 BMW M3 with front/rear down force, as well as a "Pro-NASA" driver in a GT3 Cup car...couple weekends before that I took a 3rd behind a NASA ST-2 C5 and a different GT3 Cup car, but my times are still off from the T1 guys..at that track at least

Congrats on the win man.. always nice to take a win in you own car, especially with you already having to replace the motor in it. Makes it alot more worthwhile.

I don't personally know Oli... but I've read about his trips to the Runoffs and seen him posting on here. I'll try PM'ing him about it. Thanks man... keep me in touch with your progress.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z alignment details

Quick Reply: C5Z alignment details