Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Penske's vs Pfadt Sports

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Penske's vs Pfadt Sports

I have a couple questions for you shock guys. I have an 01z with stock springs, 06z shocks, lowered on stock bolts, stock sways with 02+ end links, stock bushings. ASP car with LT's and a tune making 372rwhp. Looking to get some new shocks, and I have a friend selling some Penske single adjustables. Car is mainly an autox car currently on stock Z rims with V710's 275/40 and 315/35's.

I have a couple more seasons of work to do, and eventually would like to up the spring rate to C5R or stiffer levels, upgrade the shocks, and pick up a set of CCW's to run more tire.

Leader in the series I run in runs A6 315/335's on CCW 17x11, stock sways, lowered beyond stock bolts, Penske doubles, poly bushings, and 1200#/1000# springs in an 01z making 390rwhp.

I guess my main question is really, to go Penske single adjustables (with custom valving available), or go play with the Pfadt's. Prices will not be too far apart i don't believe.

Edit: Add that the Penskes are currently custom valved by Guy Ankeny for a stock 04z on CCW's and Hoosiers. Currently being gone through by him now. Figure Penske's are going to be a little more expensive.

Thanks guys
Fej

Last edited by fej; 07-22-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Penskes are rebuildable. You can buy any part you need for them. You can change the valving to anything you like. The only thing to note is that the Pfadt adjuster changes both bump and rebound, the Penske will only change rebound. You have tonnes of options with the Penskes for who to send them to for work -- including Bruce Ritchie @ Performance Shock out at Infineon. I'd also say call Gary@Hardbar to discuss your options with the particular Penskes you're looking at.

Final thing is the money. The base price may be close so long as the Penskes are valved the way you want them. If not, budget the shipping+revalve, too. The nice thing is the resale on the Penskes stays up pretty well should you ever want to part with them...

Any reason not to throw custom valved Bilsteins into the mix? Randy@DRM can help you there. Non-adjustable, but even custom-valved they come in cheaper. And you may even just like the Bilstein Sports.

And just to note: I hated the KONI 3013Sports when I had them on my car. Although I know many others love them and have been very successful with them. I only had them on the street and track, no autocross though.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

If you buy Penske's you will also need a nitrogen tank and a special adapter with gauge to fill them. I have had double and triple adjustable Penske's. I now run Pfadt shocks. You can adjust them with the tires on the car. It takes about 2 minutes for all four of them. Just turn the front wheels one way and adjust both of them. The rears just reach under. I'm very happy with the performance of them. The only drawback on the Phadt shocks is that they are about 1/8" longer then stock C6 Z06 shocks fully compressed. I don't run any bump stop. I've only bottom one of them once on a sweeper with a big bump in the middle of the corner. With no bump stop you will hear it bottom. I have stiffer springs then stock from VB&P. My car sits a little lower then what you can do with the stock bolts.

Steve
Old 07-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
If you buy Penske's you will also need a nitrogen tank and a special adapter with gauge to fill them.
Why? Do they need constant maintenance?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
The only thing to note is that the Pfadt adjuster changes both bump and rebound, the Penske will only change rebound.
I believe the adjuster on Penske SA's can change rebound, or compression or both. I suppose it depends on how its setup. If you had a choice would you choose rebound or both?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton
Why? Do they need constant maintenance?
Depends on who you ask. You should check the nitrogen charge every once in a while. I sold my Penskes, but I have the digital shock inflation tool that has never been used that I would happily part with: http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

As for bump or rebound or both. Probably rebound, maybe both. I used to think rebound was simply a function of spring but I've been convinced that it's worth being able to adjust.

Personally, I took it all away and jumped to the DRM Bilstein coilovers. No adjusters. And I don't feel a need for any.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The penskes are also upgradable. Keep that in mind.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I was going to get the singles,
But I decided to bite the bullet and get the doubles

You need a rebound adjuster for the track
and the compression adjuster for driving it on the street.

Here's a good thread about adjusting them

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/362861.aspx

Get notified of new replies

To Single Penske's vs Pfadt Sports

Quick Reply: Single Penske's vs Pfadt Sports