Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Rotors do you Road Course on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Which Rotors do you Road Course on?

Ok, Baer's suck *** for road courses. Once I went to a good friction pad they cracked so bad it looked like the economy!

Im looking for a decent rotor that i will get a few track days on. Im on Carbotech XP8 F & R.

What Rotors are you all using? WHERE do you buy them at a decent price. There are a few lame threads on autozone stuff, but otherwise nothing else. Worth stoptechs? etc? I dont want that cheap Chinese crap.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought PFC 2-piece front rotors and have been happy with them.
I bought some NAPA rotors and they cracked in 2 weekends. Bad cracks - not little cracks.

I'm running GM rotors on the rear.
I use Hawk DTC70 front and DTC60 rear.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

stoptech "stock replacement" rotors crack as fast as napa's in my experience. from all the posts i have read it seems the only people who are seeing more than 3-4 days on their rotors are the ones who have invested into expensive setups.

i usually run the rotors until they snap and are not usable. anything under $200/rotor lasts for 2-3 days, 4 at the most.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brembo, I choke on the price but they last forever.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I run Hawk DTC-70's front and rear on the T1 car. I use the GM rotors
and my local dealership sells them to me for $50.00 each.

I have tried NAPA rotors and had decent results, but I seem to get more life out of the GM's.

I ran 4 Quals and 4 races and they could probably make it another single race weekend. Now, all tracks vary on pads/rotors like Roebling and Nelsons are easy on pads for example. Mid-Ohio a little harder and CMP harder.

Either way, look at the rotors after every session and obviously carry extras.

Aaron
Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

hardbar front 2 piece rotors, afx motorsports rear 2 piece rotors with ebrake

have lasted many days this year and still going strong

Last edited by dvandentop; 07-22-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
look at the rotors after every session and obviously carry extras.
Aaron
bears repeating, although no matter how hard i look at them, I inevitably end up pulling into paddock with a broken rotor
Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In my experience all the high end two piece rotors with aluminum hats are really good quality. Personally I use stoptechs (the entire 14" kit) and have found they last extremely long. I've used their stuff on race cars in the past with same results. FWIW, my most recent replacement rings from them are cast in Italy. From some very trustworthy sources I've been told that performance friction makes about as good a rotor as anyone. Brembo, alcon, and AP are up there as well. In most cases you get what you pay for with this stuff.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default napa

I know you said you dont like the cheep ones but i have been getting 2 or 3 events out of a set of Napa Rotors .... At 40 bucks each I dont think i can beat that deal. Say I moved to a 200 buck rotor I do not think its going to last 4 times as long ... I do try and take care of them at HPDE ... I am not running at 100% every lap I may go ***** to the walls a few laps then run 80% to let them cool down and run again ... then after checker flag if possible I try to never touch the brakes..... running through the pits down the road for a few minutes to cool them down ....
Old 07-22-2009, 11:47 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Performance AFX rotors on my racecar with Cobalt Friction brake pads. Ran the entire season last year on 1 set of front rotors and 2 sets of front brake pads.

Give us a call or pm me if interested.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
630-844-0089
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Keith, I'm running rockauto rotors @ $30 a corner with XP10 pads & DRM cooling ducts. 2 events done so far with them and no cracks!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Keith, I'm running rockauto rotors @ $30 a corner with XP10 pads & DRM cooling ducts. 2 events done so far with them and no cracks!

Same here but without the ducts (for now). I definitely recommend some ducts.

I haven't had any major crack problems, just the normal heat cracks. But I do bring a spare set with me just in case.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

At advanced intermediate pace I got 6 track days out of Rock Auto's Centric rotors. XP10/8 and DRM/Quantum ducts. This was at tracks that aren't particullary hard on brakes though.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

StopTech 2-piece areorotors, they have been on the car for 4 track weekends and going strong. The 1 piece stock replacements will crack like any onther 1 piece rotor. Look at the 2-piece and you'll be happy, we run DTC-70 front pads.
Truely you are going to get good long life out of any 2 piece rotor, you just have to compare the price of replacement rings. The rings for the StopTech 13" Aerorotors for the C5 are $145 each, you probably won't find a good ring cheaper than that.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use DBA 5000's with DTC 70 pads, from KNSBrakes (vendor here) and DRM ducts.

Thus far... 6-8 weekends with no problems at all... and I'm NOT easy on my brakes.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I know you said you dont like the cheep ones but i have been getting 2 or 3 events out of a set of Napa Rotors .... At 40 bucks each I dont think i can beat that deal. Say I moved to a 200 buck rotor I do not think its going to last 4 times as long ... I do try and take care of them at HPDE ... I am not running at 100% every lap I may go ***** to the walls a few laps then run 80% to let them cool down and run again ... then after checker flag if possible I try to never touch the brakes..... running through the pits down the road for a few minutes to cool them down ....
Actually more than 4 times that of the NAPA or other China rotors. Plus you don't have to worry about one coming apart and then not having any brakes. I am not sure what $200 rotor you are referring to, but I am talking about our two piece that is built for us by Performance AFX.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by jabbott
Actually more than 4 times that of the NAPA or other China rotors. Plus you don't have to worry about one coming apart and then not having any brakes. I am not sure what $200 rotor you are referring to, but I am talking about our two piece that is built for us by Performance AFX.
Justin -

With the Performance AFX rotors and Cobalt XR2 2 piece brake pads I got over 75 track sessions (18 HPDE days - consisting of four 20-25 minute sessions per day) on my first set. The rear Performance AFX rotors with the integrated parking brake design are still going strong on my 09 Z06 with 130 track sessions.

I couldn't be happier with the Performance AFX/Cobalt XR2 brakes.

Thanks for creating a great product for our cars Justin.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Which Rotors do you Road Course on?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going to stay on stock replacement rotors..........and were using Hawk pads........switch to Cobalt pads .........much better rotor life.........
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2009, 02:03 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
If you are going to stay on stock replacement rotors..........and were using Hawk pads........switch to Cobalt pads .........much better rotor life.........
I too have heard good things about the Cobalt pads. I spoke with Robert at AFX and am anxious to try them out.

When I use up my Hawks I will buy a pair and see what happens.

Aaron
Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

There are some measurements you need to check with your rotors. The critical one is the "air gap". A lot of companies are enlarging the air gap (the width of the vanes actually). This means it takes less steel to make a rotor. When you use less steel you can make a lot more money.

There are several lawsuits over this. The Feds say they're "monitoring the situation. Raybestos is running some informative ads in the trade publications over the whole situation.

I've got an article coming out shortly in Corvette Fever that gets into all the details.

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360

Quick Reply: Which Rotors do you Road Course on?