Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Wear Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Wear Question

I was at NJMP last week and my car held up fine. I've only done this once before in 2006 am new to this and have a question.

But when I got back home and put the Vette on it's lift it appears that there is a secondary band of wear, wearing off of the tread and running down about half of an inch on the upper side of the outer sidewall.

I had a street not a track four wheel corner alignment. My question is, is that normal wear?

If not is the wear a result of me not running enough air pressure or something else? My tires were set at 30 lbs cold at 72 degree temp. After pulling off the track my front tires indicated 36 lbs hot.

I've attatched a few photos of my front left. The wear on the front right is similar but much less noticeable and there is no wear like this on either rear tires.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:15 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

try 2-3lbs more in the front
Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

That looks more like you are rubbing the inner fender lip than it does from roll over wear.....

There isn't a lot of clearance up there.. A set of 295/40/17's Kumho's on a C5 Z will rub if you have only 1/4 of an inch of additional offset and are lowered all the way in the front, and don't ask me how I know....

Run your fingers up under the fender lip and see if it is clean and smooth, or if it is gone....

What is you offset and what tire size are we talking about here????

If it is fender lip wear you could put some more negative camber into it and it will clear a bit better....
Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solofast
That looks more like you are rubbing the inner fender lip than it does from roll over wear.....

There isn't a lot of clearance up there.. A set of 295/40/17's Kumho's on a C5 Z will rub if you have only 1/4 of an inch of additional offset and are lowered all the way in the front, and don't ask me how I know....

Run your fingers up under the fender lip and see if it is clean and smooth, or if it is gone....

What is you offset and what tire size are we talking about here????

If it is fender lip wear you could put some more negative camber into it and it will clear a bit better....
Thanks, I will check that out when I get to the shop tomorrow. I hope that is the case because I would be proud of myself if I was going around corners fast enough to rub the fenders.

I don't know off hand what size tires I have on the front till I look at them in the shop but I think they are only 265x35x18 or something like that.

I am thinking I am going to stop showing my car and start learning to how to drive it. The reward I get from get a few trophys at a car shows is very much insignificant to what I learned and the high I got driving at the NHMP this week.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Lightening
I am thinking I am going to stop showing my car and start learning to how to drive it. The reward I get from get a few trophys at a car shows is very much insignificant to what I learned and the high I got driving at the NHMP this week.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Norm, what you see is normal tire wear due to high speed cornering. Your tires were not rubbing the fenders, or we would have heard them.

Since most turns in Lightning are right hand turns, the left tires always wear more than the right.

I periodically (every two track days) swap the wheels right for left. Also after 6 track days, I have the tires (non-directional) flipped on the wheels (inside goes outside) in order to maximize longevity.

Welcome to the sport...

Frank Gonzalez

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Wear Question

Quick Reply: Tire Wear Question