Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody a member of PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM
JSTAN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anybody a member of PCA?

I am looking to join a club to take advantage of the HPDE's and was wondering if anyone is a member of the Porsche Club of America?

If so, do you need to own a Porsche to join?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, I have been a member of the PCA. It is a requirement to own a Porsche VIN. This is where Ebay is your friend.

Hint! Hint!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM
JSTAN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Yes, I have been a member of the PCA. It is a requirement to own a Porsche VIN. This is where Ebay is your friend.

Hint! Hint!
Excellent, thanks for the advice.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done track days with them, and I don't own a Porsche.

It really depends on the region. We've run with Zone 2, and had NO problems.

But try and run with the Connecticut Valley Region, and they'll tell you to take a hike, Unless you have a beetle, I mean a 911, in your garage.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally, you don't have to be member to run with PCA or BMWCCA
(at least in the southern regions). Membership gives you about a $40-$60 discount on entry fees compared to non-members. You also get an earlier registration date if it's a popular event like Road Atlanta.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

PCA member for years, no Porsche owned and no VIN number needed, at least for out chapter.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Generally, you don't have to be member to run with PCA or BMWCCA
(at least in the southern regions). Membership gives you about a $40-$60 discount on entry fees compared to non-members. You also get an earlier registration date if it's a popular event like Road Atlanta.
Sounds like the Northwest Porsche Clubs operate.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default any september track days at road america???

any 2 day track events in later september that is open to vettes???

wanted to make it out there sometime this year but the seasons are changing soon

Last edited by dvandentop; 07-27-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DUDE!!!

We just had a PCA event this last weekend at MAM.........where were ya???

Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
DUDE!!!

We just had a PCA event this last weekend at MAM.........where were ya???

damn didnt know about it, i am friggen busy every weekend til the 21st of august

will be making it to the woodhouse 2 day event in september
Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Porsche track days vary from region to region. I encourage people in Florida to start out with Porsche club. The cars at Porsche events tend to be slower than the ones that attend Chin events. PCA doesn't get the World Challenge crowd using an HPDE as a test day. Some of the cars at Chin events can really intimidate a novice.

Once you get used to being in traffic you'll enjoy the Chin events more. Just get used to watching your mirrors at a Chin event.

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

I've done several PCA events and am doing another this weekend. I'm not a member so I usually pay a bit more ($30-$50). The only time I think it would be an issue not being a member is if they let Porches fill up slots first so you could be locked out just based on availability, but most usually say all sports cars welcome so it hasn't been an issue for me....so far.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:08 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

My experience....too many rules...too many egos...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

I've been a member of PCA for over 3 years first with Florida Crown and now with Riesentoter in PA. Most regions welcome all makes to their DEs and enjoy the diversity.

I'm personally a fan of their rules. They run very safe events and I don't see the egos as being a problem. If you don't like the fact that safety is their top priority and they want safe cars and safe drivers, then go run with someone else as far as I'm concerned.

I have actually run into more attitude from corvette guys when I'm driving my Porsche, than I have when I bring my track car which is a Corvette to HPDEs with PCA. Invariably I'll have several 911 owners come talk to me when I have the hood open on the Z, and clearly they appreciate the car and are well aware of it's capabilities on track. I love both cars and most of them do too and it's a blast watching the turbo guys squirm when you grid behind them!!

My experience with PCA is they run a very professional operation and I've seen very few on track incidents compared to other organizations with whom I'm no longer affiliated.

You do either have to own a Porsche or know someone who is a PCA member who will let you sign on as an associate to their membership.

I'm a fan of PCA and not everyone will agree as you've seen, but you have many other choices in clubs and can still participate in most PCA DEs without being a member.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I do VIR with the Wilderness PCA every year. The first year they charged the me $50 non member fee, but haven't since. They are a little strict with the rules, but it is all for safety so I have no problem with it. I like running with them.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Does anyone know if any region PCA allows "open passing" with point-by for the Instructor/Advanced group? I had heard that some were "trying" that. Otherwise, it's only passing in the long straights...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You do have to own a Porche or have a VIN to be a member of the PCA. My local chapter lets you get a DE membership for the weekend to run w/o having a Porche. I contacted a guy in our local chapter and he cleared it up.
He was his response:

"To join the national PCA, you must own a Porsche or at least have a VIN number to submit with your application. We provide a local DE membership for non-PCA members to get around some tax exempt status IRS rules.

A local chapter can require PCA membership to participate in a DE if it wishes, just as any club can limit participation to whatever cars it wants."

Gary
Old 07-30-2009, 02:36 PM
muskaroxs
Instructor

I've been doing track days with the St. Louis PCA for a couple of years with no problem. The only benefit that I say is that the PCA members receive $10-20 off track days.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody a member of PCA?

Quick Reply: Anybody a member of PCA?