Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

get bent?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:08 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default get bent?

is it common for c5z wheels to bend on the track? what causes it?

found "BENT" written on the inside of my wheel, likely from when I had tires balanced. it looks fine and I have done 3 track days since...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have run two sets of C5 Z06 speedline wheels on the track for over 5 years without a problem. No cracks or other problems after heavy use. I have seen one cracked wheel in that time and it is important to thoroughly inspect your wheels after each run group and event. If you have a bent wheel it probably is the result of an off track excursion or someone curbing it hard on the street. In your case I would jack up the corner of the car with the "bent" marked wheel and spin it using a ruler against a reference point measuring at 15-20 spots around the circumference. You should not see any measurable difference at any point on the wheel. If it is more than a 32nd out take it off and check the hub and wheel mounting surfaces for heavy rust or other contaminents. If nothing is there to change mounting surface, you have a bent wheel - get another wheel !
Old 07-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I had a tire installer tell me one of my rims was bent when he was balancing the wheel. It turned out he didn't have it mounted correctly on the balance machine. Once the rim was seated correctly on the machine it was no longer bent.

Bill
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ALL my sets of Track Only wheels are bent-try to keep off the rumble strips and stay out of the dirt. Have had a stock wheel get bent on the highway from pothole.Stiff side walls of runcraps add to the problem.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

"bent" is a relative term.........if they don't vibrate or obviously wobble when you spin them (during routine changes etc) you are fine.

I have had a few get cracked rims recently, personally I think due to some of the modern mounting machines. They seem to be so paranoid about avoiding scratching todays lipless rims that they clamp the rear of the rim dangerously tight. Just something I've never seen until recently, and I've seen it 3 times in the last year (on different rims/vehicles)
Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
They seem to be so paranoid about avoiding scratching todays lipless rims that they clamp the rear of the rim dangerously tight.
I have watched and wondered about that...
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

I'm sure I'm just looking for a scapegoat........................
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

When I had my Mich mounted last mo they told me one of my front rims was bent. I have noticed no vibration or shaking, at 50 mph or 150 mph. This is the second time they have mounted tires for me but didn't say anything the first time. So, I am not sure if it is bent or not. Tire wear on the 2 fronts I took off were about equal, highly worn on inside, but good on outside (alignment?).

Get notified of new replies

To get bent?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: get bent?