Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PF-01 rear pads delaminate (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:03 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default PF-01 rear pads delaminate (pictures)

Installed DBA 4K C6 Z51 size rotors w/brackets and look what I found when caliper was removed. Glad it happened on driveway rather than track. Maybe 8-10 sessions on these pads, certainly not what I expected. It looks like the friction material had become delaminated as rust was underneath the friction material and on the surface of the backing plate. I'll know Performance Friction makes quality product but I thought this was noteworthy to share. Tomorrow I will contact PF to share my experience and see if they offer a free set of replacements. Has anyone had this happen before on PF pads? Installed a set of EBC Yellows that I had on hand.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be the "dry weather" PF-01's
I am going to make sure I never get any water on mine. That has to be a manufacturing defect.

Last edited by Sidney004; 07-30-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using PFC Z-Rated and 01 pads for years; several sets. That never happened to me. Maybe it was a bad lot number or something like that. I would think PFC will make it right with you.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had that happen to me with Hawks.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sidney004
......I am going to make sure I never get any water on mine. That has to be a manufacturing defect.
Originally Posted by bobmoore2
I've been using PFC Z-Rated and 01 pads for years; several sets. That never happened to me. Maybe it was a bad lot number or something like that. I would think PFC will make it right with you.
That's what I'm thinking.....hoping they will step up

I'll update this later, PF has the pictures.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I talked to PF & customer service was lacking. Talked to vendor where I purchased the pads & they said they would take care of me
Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well maybe PF told them to send you a new set eh? I never seen that myself and I've used it when I had my FRC. But I guess its one of those things that can happen for bizzare reasons. I've had problems with other brakes and they never replaced stuff. Plus these are pads, like a clutch, its a ware item and you already raced on it man. So I'm surprised that they're replacing it. I've heard nothing but the best from them and the stuff I've used was excellent.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Darkness
Well maybe PF told them to send you a new set eh? I never seen that myself and I've used it when I had my FRC. But I guess its one of those things that can happen for bizzare reasons. I've had problems with other brakes and they never replaced stuff. Plus these are pads, like a clutch, its a ware item and you already raced on it man. So I'm surprised that they're replacing it. I've heard nothing but the best from them and the stuff I've used was excellent.
PF product does perform excellent, and I will still buy them. In this case my supplier took care of the situation then will deal with PF.

The PF rep on the phone said "no way you have a defective product, something must have happened on your car...we are ISO with zero deffects". Okay....but I think stranger things could have happened even in an ISO facility. In fact I have yet to hear back from PF about the email with pics that I sent them early yesterday am.

Get notified of new replies

To PF-01 rear pads delaminate (pictures)

Quick Reply: PF-01 rear pads delaminate (pictures)