Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 stockcar racers take to daytona's high banks

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default V8 stockcar racers take to daytona's high banks

The V8 StockCar Series racers return to Daytona International Speedway August 8 & 9 running with the Central Florida Region SCCA at their double SARRC event. With forty plus, fast big bore racers expected it should be a spectacle rivaling last year's exciting races where Dave Machavern in his Heritage Automotive Group Corvette and Charles Wicht in his wild, winged Monte Carlo split the overall and V8 GT-1 class wins.

Some of the racers expected include:

Charles Wicht: V8 GT-1 Wicht Racing Monte Carlo, All Safe, CCP, Multi V8 Series race winner
Ray Webb: V8 GT-1 Kenco Signs Olds Cutlass
Michael Kern V8 GT-1 Fuel Clinic.com Camaro
Steve Goldin: V8GT-1 Mazda RX8 (Rolex GT) Goldin Bros Racing
Bill Reid: V8 GT-1 Rocketsports Corvette, Pinnacle Racing
Tom Keleher: V8 GT-1 Camaro, Bottle Jack Racing Group
Squeak Kennedy: V8 GT-1 Corvette, Kennedy Kars
Buddy Hendricks: V8 GT-1 Camaro Florida Performance & Machine, Buddy Hendricks Motorsports
Steve Kenny: V8 GT-1 Kenny Racing Camaro
Henry Gilbert: V8 GT-1 Sports Car Driving Experience, Kumho, Hooked on Driving Corvette,
Charles Lee: V8 GT-1 Lee Racing Corvette
Bubba Longbottom V8 SPO Nannabanana/Amsoil Pontiac Grand Prix
Danny Foster: V8 SPO Outback, Coors Light, Wunderbar Dodge Charger
Bill Minnear: V8 SPO V8SPO Leading Edge Monte Carlo
Lee Arnold: V8SPO V8StockCar.com Monte Carlo
George Lutich: V8 GTA Paragon Water Systems Monte Carlo
Tony Amico: V8 GTA Caddy's On the Beach Monte Carlo
Roger Reuse: V8GTA WGIParts.com Monte Carlo
Bobby Reuse:V8 GTA Cerus Industrial Monte Carlo
Tad Segars:V8GTA HyPoxy, TadSegars.com Monte Carlo
Stacy Rodgers: V8GTA Pinnacle Motorsports Monte Carlo
Gregg Rodgers: V8GTA Pinnacle Motorsports Monte Carlo
Randy Walker: V8 GTA Walker Properties Monte Carlo
Gary Barnett: V8GTA: I Swear Racing Monte Carlo
Tom Graham: V8GTA, Financial Freedom Ford Taurus
Doug Wilson: V8GT2, Cherry Cars, Hot Toddy Fabrication, Tills Import Car Clinic BMW M3
Rodney Williamson: V8 GT2 Titanium Motorsports Ford Mustang
Allan Burgess: V8GT2 Kiosko Restaurant Porsche 944
Scott Thompson V8 GT2 Coastal Welding/Winchester Steel Corvette
Terry Taylor: V8GT2 Datsun 240Z

The weekend fun will begin with the pre race party at Hooters Friday night at 7:00 pm for the V8 Series family and friends, with Go kart Racing for the group following.

Many of the V8 Racers will participate in the Daytona test day on Friday.

Weekend updates will be provided on Racetalkradio.com

Those interested in checking out the action can go to the SCCA registration bldg on Saturday or Sunday morning to gain credentials. Ask to be a guest of the Central Florida Region.

The V8 Series thanks its' marketing partners: SCCA, Central Florida Region SCCA, RaceTalkRadio.com, TrackTek Race Fuels,Hoosier, Goodyear, Mo's Gold,Howe, FiveStar, RaceCar Engineering, DRP, RacingJunk.com, Roehrig-Enders, GrassRoots Motorsports Magazine, Racing Limo's, Dash Racewear, SaferRacer, Randy Lajoie and Hess Racing Products.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:21 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

They running the road course? Sounds like a good time down there. Good luck to all.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 AM
bosco022
Drifting

This will be on the 24 hr course.

V8 StockCar Series Track Records:

(ambient August temps around 100........track temp 130 plus)

V8 GT-1
Dave Machavern Riggins TA Corvette 1:52.313 8/08

V8SPO
Wild Bill Smith Super late model Monte Carlo 1:56.662 8/05

V8GTA
Gregg Rodgers ASA/GTA Monte Carlo LS1 power 2:00.171 8/08

V8GT-2
New Class for 2009

Note: Machavern ran 1:52's last year in the heat with his closest competition (Charles Wicht) a second a lap slower. Mac's Corvette is quite capable of going sub 1:50 in a bit cooler temps. Dave is the 2003 Grand Am Rolex GTS Co-Champ along with car builder and long time racing partner Tommy Riggins.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the info. Didn't run that track when I was station in Memphis, but who knows, now that I'm moving to VA for probably the rest of my career, I might make it down there.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Subdriver.........come on in, the water's fine!

Nascar Nationwide driver Scott Lagasse Jr just called and said he will be racing with us at
Daytona in his ex ASA Delco Series Lingenfelter LS1 Monte Carlo.

Last edited by bosco022; 08-03-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 AM
bosco022
Drifting

With Dave Machavern missing this race, Charles Wicht takes on the role as the favorite for V8 GT-1 and overall win honors. Charles' winged Monte Carlo has the goods and the driver ain't to shabby either. Charles who has been racing since he was 16 is a veteran of the SPEED GT series, and has tons of experience on most of the south and eastern tracks. Wicht always "unloads" fast.

Texan Bill Reid and his Pinnacle Motorsport Corvette will be fast and challenge Wicht. Reid's car, I believe, is the former Rocketsports racer of Grand Am Koni Challenge front runner Mike Canney.

Michael Kern returns to action with the series in his FuelClinic.com Camaro. The beautifully turned out former Gary Grubbs 24 hr of Daytona car has been running stronger than ever. Mike had a podium finish at the SCCA Daytona National.

Ray Webb has been solid in his Tommy Riggins built Olds Cutlass ever since repowering with a Byron Koury Motor (Deland, Fl). Ray picked up a couple SARRC wins at PBIR earlier this year. Webb feels the car is primed to cut its' fastest Daytona laps ever.

Buddy Hendricks will bring out his immaculate Camaro that was featured on Cable TV in a build story.

Look for Steve Goldin to show in the Goldin Bros Rolex GT Mazda RX8. The car was built by Tommy Riggins and has several Rolex 24 appearances.

Tom "Gramps" Keleher will return in his Silver bullet Camaro. The big question is whether Gramps will wake up in time from his lunch time nap to make the race.

Danny Foster returns from a sabbatical caused by work and will bring out his fast ex Nascar Sprint Cup Outback-Coors Light Dodge Charger. Danny was very quick in this race last year.

Bubba Longbottom has his ex Scott Murphy Pontiac Grand Prix ready to go and he should be a factor in the V8 SPO class.

After suffering motor problems at Road Atlanta a couple of weeks ago, Paul Breehne sent crew chief Mike Breault in search of a new bullet. Those Ford late model motors aren't under every rock but Mike found one and rumor has it they will be ready to go.

more later
Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM
checkeredfever
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Daytona Weekend

I was there at Daytona as a guest of Henry Gilbert. I noticed you didn't mention Henry's Sports Car Driving Experience sponsored car as being a fast favorite, but man was he ever. After a tech issue disallowed Henry's 4th place qualifying time of 43 cars, he was put in the back to start the race. I sat with his crew chief and watched as he passed 39 cars in seven laps for a win in his class and a 4th place finish overall.

I also wanted to add that this was my first SCCA event and I was very impressed with how it was ran and the turnout with over 300 cars racing on Saturday. I'm working on the steps now to be racing a Corvette there at Daytona in a year. I had the bug but the Daytona event really solidified it.

Thanks again Henry for your and the team's hospitality at the track and making feel like one of the team. I can't wait for the Homestead event with your school in August and the two day driving school at PBIR in September. I know how to drive the car and be fast but now it's time to learn how to race. I don't usually rave about a company but Henry and Sports Car Driving Experience are the best. If you want to learn how to drive your car to it's maximum capibility call 1.800.453.5506 to make a reservation for Roebling Road, Homestead, PBIR, or Sebring or visit www.sportscardrivingexperience.com and tell Henry that Dwayne from Jax sent you. Henry has 14 Corvettes for his school, no driving Miatas or any of that crap. Henry and his people love Corvettes like we do

Last edited by checkeredfever; 08-10-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2009, 07:33 PM
bosco022
Drifting

For sure Henry was fast, and may have won overall Sunday if not for some suspension problem that convinced him to slow his pace on the banking.
Henry still won our V8 GT-1 class despite taking a bit off his pace for safety's sake. Great guy and a racer to the core.

The Wicht Racing Monte Carlo and The Pinnacle Motorsport Corvettes of Doug Harrington (saturday winner) and Bill Reid were considered the favorites but Wicht blew up on Saturday and Harrington and Reid had problems Sunday.

Nascar Nationwide driver Scott Lagasse Jr won overall in only his second weekend in road racing. Of course he is the son of former Trans Am, Corvette Challenge, IMSA, star Scott Lagasse Sr.

Last edited by bosco022; 08-09-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To V8 stockcar racers take to daytona's high banks

Quick Reply: V8 stockcar racers take to daytona's high banks