Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive track day pads for C6 Z06 calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inexpensive track day pads for C6 Z06 calipers??

I'm looking for some somewhat inexpensive trackday pads for my C6 Z06 calipers for some trackdays I have coming up.

I'm going to upgrade the stock brakes soon but it won't be in time for my next events, so I'm looking for some pads that will give me some better bite and better heat range.

It looked like the Hawk HP+ might be a choice but after reading about them it seems like they fall off pretty quick once they get hot.

Could I possibly just upgrade the front pads to something like Hawk DTC or Cobalt or Carbotech and stick with the oem rear pads??

Would that greatly affect brake balance?

Cheers
Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbotechs work well and are cheaper than most of the others. Try to find some used on the Z06 forum. I usually have sets for sale, but are sold out at the moment.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Carbotechs work well and are cheaper than most of the others. Try to find some used on the Z06 forum. I usually have sets for sale, but are sold out at the moment.

Carbotech is the lowest cost, good working track pad I found. I don't have lifetime data as my XP10 padletts never got worn out and I use them as backup.
- Pedal still gets soft if you push the car hard, but bleeding off some brake fluid solves that.
- Also found that cooling down the brakes after leaving the track is very important as is high grade brake fluid. I use Castrol SRF.

Cobolt XR1 seems to wear a little bit more, stop better while generating a little less heat, but cost more - still, this is my preferred pad.

/Nik
Old 08-08-2009, 10:44 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I like Carbotech. At the moment I'm running relative light duty track pads. XP10/XP8. I also have been running these on the street with some noise and dust. Noise tends to be lesser as they are worn in. I'm even going to try even a lighter duty track pad set up when the XP10 on front is gone, I will try XP8's front and rear and see how that goes. I tend to think a heavier duty front pad not needed. The front to rear bias is already built in. For me the brakes have been no issue so that's why I'm going to back up to XP8's on front and see what difference I notice.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

some pads mentioned in this thread dont last very long so best bang for buck is cobalt friction with great stopping powerq
Old 08-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

Where is a good place to order the Carbotech's?? I'm willing to support any forum vendors if I can get them soon - - my trackday is next Friday, wooohooo
Old 08-08-2009, 03:36 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bahnzii
Where is a good place to order the Carbotech's?? I'm willing to support any forum vendors if I can get them soon - - my trackday is next Friday, wooohooo
Try http://www.saferacer.com/carbotech-c...productid=1972 or http://www.zip-corvette.com/Zip/dept...B4ED33C4B62AC2
Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have Cobalt Friction single piece pads for the C6 Z06 in stock. If you have never tried Cobalt Friction pads you need to. Unbelievable initial torque, easy to modulate, wear far superior to any comperable race pad, and are not hard on the rotors. Once you try these, you will not be going back to any other pad.

Give us a call if you are interested or if you have any further questions.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631

Get notified of new replies

To Inexpensive track day pads for C6 Z06 calipers??

Quick Reply: Inexpensive track day pads for C6 Z06 calipers??