Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is involved in laying down the radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What is involved in laying down the radiator?

Lay down radiator cools better I have heard over the years. What is needed? I have a DRM radiator.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Its going to be a lot of work. New ducting, will have to rig up water hoses/pipes in the new config. Vent the hood. Build exit ducting to the vented hood. fab a new airbox. Possibly rewire the fans (if the wires have to route differently or won't reach). Plus the radiator supports.

Note, I haven't done this, just have been thinking about it for awhile now, and these are the things I've thought about. Hopefully others that have done it will chime in.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

you need to fabricate (or modify) a mount, and build a new shroud. You can get aluminum elbows and silicone hose to easily bend up new hoses. As stated, to get the real benefit, you need a vented hood.......

Honestly, you probably get many of the benefits from the hood alone...without all of the work!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

But David, it wouldnt be nearly as cool lookin.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

What's the issue with the present setup? Laying the radiator down would help with c/g height issues, but what is the technical shortcomings of the present angle?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

to me it's mostly aero, that's why the hood becomes so important. With a lay-back radiator, the air going through it is going downward and exiting around and under the engine.

By laying the radiator forward, the air goes through it travelling upward, then can get sucked right out of a vented hood.

If you combine a front feeding nose (C6Z06 or modified C5 with splitter) with a vented hood, you take all of that high pressure air on the nose and deflect it upward, making the front 1/3 of the car a giant wing. In OEM configuration, the air just spills everywhere, creating lift.

This is just all small talk. I unfortunately have no back-to-back data comparing the configurations. I do know that vented hoods certainly improve airflow through the cooling system, and even my NASA JC Whitney Louvered hood seems very effective at improving airflow through and out of the cooling system.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:59 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought he was thinking about laying it back like a sc'd engine set-up. I just got thru standing mine back up because it didn't seem to cool very good. He must be thinking like the LG cars with the two fans on top. That should cool pretty good (with their hood of course).
Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a vented hood. Seems like a ton of work Thanks!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

then routing the CAI piping.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I studied this and have hundreds of pictures from back in the day when WC was hot. I even have plenty of pictures from Farmer's old car. The biggest issue I saw in all of this was the hood attachment. If you want to route your air intake properly, you will need to feed it into one of the corners of the front facia (where the headlight would fold into). If you are going to do this you will lose your hinges on the hood. Which means you will need to fabricate a removable hood with hood pins. That's not a big deal if you have a CF hood that's light weight. However now you have hood logistics everytime you open it, and you will need to purchase one of those $1500-$2000 CF hoods to make it easy to deal with.

If someone has found a way around the intake issue i'm all ears . The rest of the job would be easy (laying it forward) and opens up a lot of room in front of the engine.

I spoke to one of the hot shoes on this forum before and he had an idea of reversing the intake manifold...pointing back to firewall..routing into cabin. That's very interesting and all of the sudden you would have the ability to create a "chimney" like the factory teams all have...would be very cool. It all comes down to that intake.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:09 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How far do you want to take it. The intake is the hardest thing to play around with. A chassis or engine dyno is a must when doing intake work like this. We have scraped the idea of having a large tube as a intake manifold after finding 20 horsepower with 6 inchs less pipe in a truck application

Let me know if you need anything during the swap

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
763-477-9272
Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

seems thats why folks like LG motorsports (Lou) and the corvette factory teams use the split intake manifolds.. the duct to both sides of the revised radiator shroud up to the hood.. getting one of those intakes would be the ticket.. and $$$
Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
seems thats why folks like LG motorsports (Lou) and the corvette factory teams use the split intake manifolds.. the duct to both sides of the revised radiator shroud up to the hood.. getting one of those intakes would be the ticket.. and $$$

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_09...ine/index.html
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Wow!! That looks awesome!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This was the intake used on the car in the lower picture.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Its going to be a lot of work.

It's actually not too bad.

I actually took the existing supports, or the mangled remains of an existing support, chopped it up, re-tacked some parts, flipped it around and just bolted it back in.

My ron davis was actually a perfect fit.. just layed right on the front cross bumper.

Hoses are easy to piece together and you just pull the fans.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

would love to see some pix!!

Get notified of new replies

To What is involved in laying down the radiator?

Old 07-01-2020, 03:40 PM
RPMaddiction
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

So, bringing up this thread again. Ryan0 cab you provide additional information? Any updates from anybody on this? We may be in the process of taking this mess of a project on. My race temps are out of control and, if I want to keep winning...I gotta pay to play.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMaddiction
So, bringing up this thread again. Ryan0 cab you provide additional information? Any updates from anybody on this? We may be in the process of taking this mess of a project on. My race temps are out of control and, if I want to keep winning...I gotta pay to play.
There have been a few threads recently covering this that you'd be better off reading than this one. Short answer is it isn't that bad but requires some $. Reroute the intake, get a splitter setup that converts the c5 to a front breather (I used a Duraflex splitter) ,box the radiator in with sheet metal, vent the hood.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

A friend of mine had the intake tube run through the frame rail. No pics unfortunately, but they hole sawed right through it and the end product was very clean.

Quick Reply: What is involved in laying down the radiator?