Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation Experience / problems - Dewitts VS Ron Davis Radiator ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Installation Experience / problems - Dewitts VS Ron Davis Radiator ??

I am going to install an upgraded radiator in the Z prior to my next event at the end of the month. I will use the radiator only without coolers since I already have a DRM oil cooler. What are your experiences in installing the Ron Davis and Dewitts radiators ? Were there any problems, did you have to cut supports, or were they truly exact fit replacement. Ease of installation will play a big part in my decision as to which one to purchase since both seem to do a good job of providing the extra cooling needed.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

You have to trim the rubber that fits into the supports with the ron davis setup. Its no big deal. Otherwise its a complete drop in.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a R Davis just a few weeks ago on my 03. Fairly strait forward, everything goes in just about like the stock rad. Because its thicker you will need to reroute the wire harnesses to the fans, just move them around a bit and hold in place with zips and the original clamps. It’s all a bit tighter with the new rad so be mindful of wire looms rubbing on the sway bar. Also my radiator shroud did not want to sit perfectly tight against the foam seals (might be my Vararam intake causing some issues). So I had to use a couple of large zip ties with a couple of well placed holes in the shroud to pull the top firm against the seals. You have to remove the two rubber bushings from the bottom side of the upper radiator cross support (big plastic bit spanning the top of the rad). You might want to use a worm clamp on the lower rad hose as the factory style squeeze clamps are hard to get at. Check the small coolant lines to the overflow and TB fit the radiator fittings tightly, my factory squeeze clamps were not holding firmly, went to worm clamps there too. As mentioned you will need to trim the lower driver side rubber bushings.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
You have to trim the rubber that fits into the supports with the ron davis setup. Its no big deal. Otherwise its a complete drop in.

They fit like a glove and have all the hookups for the AC and fan attachments. We suggest cutting down the lower left mount, but it's not 100 percent needed. The factory radiator has issues there also, if you can grind down 1/8 of a inch great, if not, don't worry about it.

Randy
Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the input on the Ron Davis unit - anyone done a Dewitts recently and care to comment -
Old 08-10-2009, 05:15 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The only thing I did on my dewitts install was trim the tabs on the fan assembly to allow them to slide in the radiator from the side. Otherwise it required bending and was much more difficult. It just made things much simpler. Straight forward with that exception.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DeWitts. It is a very easy install. I did it, so that says a lot about it LOL The fan shroud needs minor triming that is all, just for clearance of the mounting tabs on the radiator.

Tom and his co. are great to work with and will go the extra mile for you.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattB
DeWitts. It is a very easy install. I did it, so that says a lot about it LOL The fan shroud needs minor triming that is all, just for clearance of the mounting tabs on the radiator.

Tom and his co. are great to work with and will go the extra mile for you.

Without oil cooler fittings a DeWitts the fans should need only minor trimming.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

One thing that I found makes it all a little easier is to remove the front radiator shroud. All that is holding it in are 6 or so little screws at the bottom of the front fascia and a couple of screws near the center spoiler mounts and two push pins to the A/C condenser. Once the shroud is out (once loosened I just pulled it up) you can move the A/C condenser by tipping it forward which gives you more room to get the fans past the ABS modules. Watch out when pulling the fan shroud as well. The little ears that fasten the shroud to the radiator have an affinity for catching the big wiring harness on the passenger side.

Bill
Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

As pointed out above, the trimming is needed with the cooler fittings. Without them it probably drops right in.
Another thing I forgot to add is to no longer use the plastic fasteners that attach the front shroud to the a/c condensor. They are almost guaranteed to break when removed and are not needed. The top and bottom is plenty to hold it in place.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron Davis on my Z06. Give Randy at DRM a call.....great sponsor
Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
Ron Davis on my Z06. Give Randy at DRM a call.....great sponsor
Agreed. Just had TC Design do my C6 Z51 car. The difference between the stock rad and the Ron Davis unit is unbelievable when you see them side by side.

Get notified of new replies

To Installation Experience / problems - Dewitts VS Ron Davis Radiator ??

Quick Reply: Installation Experience / problems - Dewitts VS Ron Davis Radiator ??