Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Shop in NoVA

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Stevo92z28
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alignment Shop in NoVA

Looking to get an aggressive alignment on my z06 for HPDE and some street duty. If i can get 10k miles from tires i'm happy enough with that. Anyone in the area have any suggestions of places to go, specs i should go with? I'd like to not have to worry about my vette going into a shop, i don't want the local NTB touching it.

Much appreciated
-Steve
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little bit of a haul but Funktion auto in Sterling does good work. It will take them at least an hour to get it right.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Specs:

Camber:
You want about 2 degrees negative camber in front, and about -1 to -1.25 degrees in back. The front setting is a little less than optimum for the track, but about all that is possible with the stock suspension. The rear camber setting is a compromise between a perfect in-the-curves setting and a perfect accellerating-in-the-straights setting. Both front and rear setups will result in premature tire wear on the streets, but will improve tire wear (and performance) on the track.

Caster:
You should ask for a little more caster than stock, but not a lot more. One by-product of caster is a thing I call dynamic camber increase. You can see this dynamic camber increase when you turn your steering wheel all the way to full lock, then get out of the car and look at your front wheels. You will notice that the outside wheel is tilted in at the top and the inner wheel is tilted out. This is caused by the caster and it improves performance when turning.

When the alignment shop adjusts the camber, the caster will also change, and vice versa. A good alignment shop that also knows about racing will know how to get the best compromise between the camber and caster settings.

Toe:
Set the toe in at both ends fairly close to 0. How close to 0 is debatable, but it definitely should be less than 1/8 inch. (Some will recommend as little as 1/32".) I still don't understand the subtle ways that toe in affects handling. It has more to do with the way the handling feels than with optimizing the tire grip.

Bob
Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 AM
manicheus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
A little bit of a haul but Funktion auto in Sterling does good work. It will take them at least an hour to get it right.

Check the Pfadt web site for advice on camber settings. http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/?page_id=48
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevo92z28
Looking to get an aggressive alignment on my z06 for HPDE and some street duty. If i can get 10k miles from tires i'm happy enough with that. Anyone in the area have any suggestions of places to go, specs i should go with? I'd like to not have to worry about my vette going into a shop, i don't want the local NTB touching it.

Much appreciated
-Steve
Curry's Auto Service does my alignments. Car guys who compete their own cars. They have an Arlington location that might work for you.

Jim
Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The best alignment tech I've found in the Capitol area at Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg.

www.tonyscorvetteshop.com

They work only on Corvettes, have the latest equipment and their alignment tech (only have one) is absolutely meticulous in getting it right.

You will need to give him the race spec you want applied.

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment Shop in NoVA

Quick Reply: Alignment Shop in NoVA